What's new

Baaad Helmet design

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
Now I've read one of the Sky teams many "small incremental gains" is getting the team to wear closed helmets, but I have some more basic needs than an aerodynamic 0.01s per km off my time. I get a cold head in the winter and have to slap suntan lotion on my head in summer...
Where can I get a closed helmet for biking?

I just haven't seen anywhere selling anything like that. A couple of vents on the side would be nice to avoid overheating, but closed on top for sure. I realise I could reuse my skiing helmet but it doesn't look "bike" (although Cav's latest S-works helmet looks more like more he borrowed it off a skate punk)

So, example of nice lid
_66426015_66425995.jpg

And example of Baaad lid
_66733857_cav-getty.jpg

Not closed, but as one with thinning hair, I have an LAS that has a nice liner that blocks sun completely (not sure if it's a specific model). I of course use block on my ears, face, and so on, but with this helmet I have never given my dome a second thought.

I can also recommend the use of a good sun screen. I had a small skin tumor removed from the back of my neck last week. I'm sure it's related to the hours spent riding my bike in the sun.... being a red head, ghostly white, freckly Brit doesn't help!

Both helmets are nice and both available in Japan, seen several riders at races sporting them - Giro also has closed vent helmets as well as the Air Attack which is a compact profile TT helmet - remember not everyones body allows the increase in performance that profiled TT helmets offer and you'll see a lot of the sprinters sporting the compact style TT helmets.

My favorite helmet <sigh> was the Brancale 'Giro'. Too bad they went bankrupt and only occasionally found on eBay for several hundred dollars.... It was a semi-closed design. I never had problem with heat.
456c_1.jpg

The Kask Vintage has too much padding in it. Reminds me of this ...

EasyRider_helmet.jpg

The Brancale had very little inside , just support liner.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. The keirin helmet looks the cheapest option until I start buying the coloured covers....
I actually like the look of the Classic but too much lining would be a killer.
I do hear that Kask are going to be "forced" to sell the Sky-type closed helmets to the public under some UCI ruling that all equipment needs to be purchasable by the public (not sure how that works given all the experimental stuff such as Di gears is used by the pros a couple of years before it hits the public). And to lead even less credence to that last statement, I see no sign of Kask offering it yet.
Air Attack seems to be the only viable option today. I'll have to keep looking for them in a shop in Tokyo. If anyone sees one, please let me know!

You could just tape over the vents: that`s what some people do for TTs. Not sure if you can get UV blocking tape though...

LOL:

LOL - I plan to do this at the 2 day stage race at Gunma..... If I see a BONGO lid I will play it!

A fairly ****ty thing to do, but they love all their head slapping over here, so you should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom