What's new

Average Price for a second hand carbon frameset?

Ruda

Maximum Pace
Nov 22, 2019
Hi!
I`m studiyng a new full carbon project, considering a second hand carbon frameset.
At the moment, looking into some Cannondale supersix evo.

Do you have any idea on the average price i should be looking for? Saw a few options between 50k- 150k JPY (but it`s yahoo auction, so i believe this can change a lot)
The only `second hand market` im familiar with is cycli and buychari, so im not sure on how the prices should be.

Any tips?
Thanks

There is no good answer to your question. First off, I am assuming you are interested in a frame size <= 54 cm. If not, I would probably give up right here and now — or buy unseen abroad. Frames of sizes 56 cm and up are extremely rare in Japan.

The second thing is that you say nothing about age, condition and standards you want or don't want. Rim brake vs. disc brake. If the answer is rim brakes, which standard do you want? Do you insist on direct mount rim brakes? Some bike frames have custom or semicustom BB standards (e. g. some Look frames). Standards could be important if you have a bunch of old parts that you want to re-use.

There is no good answer to your question. First off, I am assuming you are interested in a frame size <= 54 cm. If not, I would probably give up right here and now — or buy unseen abroad. Frames of sizes 56 cm and up are extremely rare in Japan.

The second thing is that you say nothing about age, condition and standards you want or don't want. Rim brake vs. disc brake. If the answer is rim brakes, which standard do you want? Do you insist on direct mount rim brakes? Some bike frames have custom or semicustom BB standards (e. g. some Look frames). Standards could be important if you have a bunch of old parts that you want to re-use.

Ah. Forgot those details.
It would be size 50.

My options at the moment would be Cannondale supersix evo Hi-mod 2016 (SO> rim brakes, no direct mount) or Trek Emonda SLR 2015-2016 (those are direct mount rim brakes), probably same size.

The idea is build a lightweight, starting by the frameset at the moment. So i would use some parts i already have, and buy other lighter pieces.

For now, i`m following the ~watch suggestion for auction pages

There will be plenty in this size, me thinks. If you are flexible on standards, what you do seems reasonable. Although I think you should also include e. g. the CAAD10 and CAAD12, especially the black models/special editions. These are great aluminum frames.

You should be able to search for finished auctions from the past 120 days within Yahoo Auctions itself. Otherwise you can try to glean info from Aucfan without paying, or pay them and they'll give you lots of past info for the last ten years.

I find a huge difference in how stuff holds its value on Yahoo Auctions and Mercari. With bikes, certain brands and certain models have a massive aura that sucks in bidders. It'll always be cheaper buying second hand, but some stuff ends up being a bigger bargain than others.

For lightweight and rim brake, here's a sub 7kg Canyon Ultimate for 130,000 yen. I actually have the same bike in black with white decals (2016?) I got for the same price from a BuyChari auction in 2018. I recommend checking stack and reach, but S in a Canyon is about a 53. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f451035208 https://thebikelist.co.uk/canyon/ultimate-al-slx-9-0-sl https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/canyon-ultimate-al-slx-review/)

Back
Top Bottom