What's new

Aussie in Hamamatsu

Malto069

Warming-Up
Aug 14, 2012
Hi, I've been lurking and gleaming info from you folk for a few weeks and thought I should as least introduce myself. Been living in Hamamatsu (shizuoka) for over 18 months now and just got back into cycling after a 5-6 year break. I'm starting to get further out on my rides and have come to the conclusion I need a GPS unit or map capable Garmin Edge - so I can explore new roads are areas without the fear of getting lost or having a major mechanical or mishap and not being able to advise 'her indoors' where I am! Most of my rides to date head up the Tenryu or Atago rivers north of Hamamatsu.

I've added a Wanted Ad in the hope there might be someone out there who has recently upgraded their GPS / Garmin or has something they are no longer using.

The TCC threads on Insurance / accidents (having had my share in the past) and general riding in Japan have been of great help.

Cheers,

Matt

Welcome -- even though I'm new here myself.

My situation's a bit like yours. I've never even used the map function of my dumbphone, and was alarmed by the tiny screens and forgettability/stealability of these devices marketed for bikes, plus the prices of some of them. So I've just bought an made-for-Au but "unlocked" Android that's advertised as tougher than most, as briefly discussed here and below. It cost me 16,000, including everything (with the very notable exceptions of SIM and 3G access). Can I actually preload it with enough maps to make it useful? I don't yet know. If not, I suppose I'll register it with Emobile, which is a lot cheaper than Au. There could be all sorts of other problems too. All in all I'm certainly not recommending this untried (non?) solution, but it could be worth a thought. Meanwhile, I've already verified that it's a decent enough "websurfing in bed while the iPad's recharging" device.

Micro...yes I have been using my locked Aussie HTC without SIM to track my rides, and I can upload a local map and use it `offline`, but the issue is battery life - it handles a 2 hr ride well enough. I also want to have HRM and Cadence, so I can either revive my 9-10 y.o Polar (back in Oz) or bite the bullet and get the Edge with maps. Having just dropped 250,000 yen on a new bike and kit, feeding my kids and paying for their Kindy etc needs to take priority for a while.

On Servicing of Polars. Does anyone have a local service contact and know what it costs to replace batteries and check sensors / HR transmitters? If it gong to cost >10,000yen I`m probably better off putting it towards something newer.

On Servicing of Polars. Does anyone have a local service contact and know what it costs to replace batteries and check sensors / HR transmitters? If it gong to cost >10,000yen I`m probably better off putting it towards something newer.

PM sent

Back
Top Bottom