What's new

Today August 2022

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
I have always bought my shoes locally Never sure enough of how a shoe or a last fits to buy online.
Ideally, that’s what I would do, but since I need the wide version, they are never in stock and need to be specially ordered. And then it is “we order them, you buy them”. I always make sure that the staff measures my feet so I have a small way out.

It also sucks, because there are virtually no deals to be had. ProBikeKit has the Lakes and the Bonts on sale at 30 % off. But only the regular version. I’ll measure my feet again today, perhaps the regular version is wide enough, but I doubt it.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Lake and NorthWave has been my go to shoes for years. I have never had a pair last less than 3 years or so and usually they are replaced because they look like hell and not because of any failures. MTB abuse is obviously different than road, so my shoes can get pretty scarred up
I don’t expect the shoes to look pristine, as long as they are structurally sound, it is cool.

One question: the MX238s have a lot of ventilation holes. How do they fare in the winter or in the rain? Or is it just a matter of putting overshoes on?

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I don’t expect the shoes to look pristine, as long as they are structurally sound, it is cool.

One question: the MX238s have a lot of ventilation holes. How do they fare in the winter or in the rain? Or is it just a matter of putting overshoes on?
They vent really well - so maybe an issue in cold & rain.
As for the cold, they are wide, so I can go with thick wool socks or something if I wore them in the cold.
BUT - I also have a pair of Northwave Farenheit for cold days, so don't use the Lake pair when it is truly cold.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
They vent really well - so maybe an issue in cold & rain.
As for the cold, they are wide, so I can go with thick wool socks or something if I wore them in the cold.
BUT - I also have a pair of Northwave Farenheit for cold days, so don't use the Lake pair when it is truly cold.
Thanks for the feedback.
I have also had good luck with Northwave shoes, my first pair of shoes for clipless pedals was from Northwave and they lasted something like 8–10 years. They looked pretty ratty in the end, but they did their job.

This time I’ll likely go for the Bonts as they are cheaper and have received rave reviews. The three complaints I read from the reviews is that some find them too stiff, people prefer having two Boa dials as opposed to one dial and one velcro fastener, and that the rubber sole is made of a harder compound, which reduces traction. I also like the idea of their moldable bathtub sole, which also makes the sole so stiff even though it seems to be fairly thin (a box is more rigid than a sheet).

There seem to be few reviews of the Lakes, at least of this specific model. It is either a different model or the road version. I haven’t had (real) leather cycling shoes yet, but I kinda like the idea.

PS I’ll order tomorrow. I tried measuring my feet, and I got two plausible, but different sizes — one is 43 W the other 44 normal. My S-Works are in 43 Wide and my Lactics in 44 Normal. I’ll have to print out the guide tomorrow in the office and then measure again.
Get two identical pairs and alternate, and they'll last a lot more than twice as long.
Yeah, that’s the plan in the long run.
I’ll move within the next 6-12 months, and perhaps I’ll move country, so we want to keep expenses down and not accumulate too much stuff. Ultimately, though, I’ll likely need two more pairs of shoes: one for the road, one for offroad.

Last edited:

hellerphant

Maximum Pace
Mar 23, 2022
That looks a really interesting route ! Im
Still learning how Strava works, but can I have a copy of that route, or there’s a file I can put into my wahoo ? Thank you
Hey Tim!

Do you have a RWGPS or Komoot account? I can easily share this route using one of those and you can then upload it directly to your wahoo. Much better than Strava routing in my opinion, and it’s integrated directly into the Wahoo!

And yeah I’ll share this with you and I’d even ride it with you too! You can take me to Enoshima and I’ll ride with you along this route.

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
Disturbed from my commute reverie by someone shouting in my general direction.

[oh no what have I done this time..?]

Turns out, he was complimenting me on my jersey.

2022-08-29_10-45-47.jpg

Well... okay. Good morning to you, too!

In case you are reading this, Mr Pannier, here's the jersey. I said it would be £45 but I was wrong. Normal price is £50 but there's a sale on so it's £35. You wouldn't get many pints of London Pride for that at London prices.

1661737810784.png

Last edited:

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
sounds like a good LBS.
do they have group rides as well? I joined the local LBS group rides and even though was fitter than a lot of the older guys it was good for me to learn the Japanese group etiquette and some short cuts out to the training roads.

hellerphant

Maximum Pace
Mar 23, 2022
sounds like a good LBS.
do they have group rides as well? I joined the local LBS group rides and even though was fitter than a lot of the older guys it was good for me to learn the Japanese group etiquette and some short cuts out to the training roads.
I think they mostly do mountain biking at this store, as I've seen on their website they often organize rides. Having said that, they have a few gold medals and jerseys from local events hanging up.

I speak next to 0 Japanese, so even getting them to do things to my bike is a bit of a chore. I wouldn't want to impose on the group until I'm a little better and at least can say more than Hello my name is Steve, nice to meet you, I like beer, yes. LOL.

hellerphant

Maximum Pace
Mar 23, 2022
That was about where I was when I started.
Except Simon not Steve.

Quick way of getting better in a hurry is getting out of your safe box.
Yeah, totally. I was doing pretty well when I first got here with all the nomunication at the izakayas, and made some friends. But then the pandemic happened, I moved to Machida, work from home, and now I basically have regressed to 0 again. I'm determined to learn, will help with my job too, and I know it sounds like an excuse but being part of the leadership team of a growing company, by the time I log off from work my brain is just dead, which is why cycling has been so good for me I think, a real chance to relax.

2023 goals. Will start learning some cycling vocab now though!

Top Bottom