What's new

Today August 2019

I'm not sure which pictures you're referring to, but FYI the highest point in Chiba (Anazaa-yama) is only 408 m, and I think the highest you can get on the road is 300 m ASL.
View attachment 18545
That's reassuring! Glorious views.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I assumed @leicaman needed to climb that far to see them if he was aiming for 3,000 m in elevation.
More proof that I am incapable of dealing in numbers if they go beyond double figures (and any maths that involves letters).
Thanks @Half-Fast Mike !

That's reassuring! Glorious views.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I assumed @leicaman needed to climb that far to see them if he was aiming for 3,000 m in elevation.
More proof that I am incapable of dealing in numbers if they go beyond double figures (and any maths that involves letters).
Thanks @Half-Fast Mike !
It was 3000m of elevation gain. The high point of the ride was where the tunnel goes through the top of the mountain above Mitsumine shrine, at 1141m according to my garmin.

Out of all the cyclists I've been tracking at PBP 2019, Jan Heine has already finished. His time of 56:35:55 for the 1200+ km ride qualifies him once again for La Société Charly Miller by riding it in under 56h40m. He also made it solo in 2007 and 2011, as well as in 2003 on a 1948 René Herse tandem (with Canadian Jaye Haworth as the stoker).

I was due to leave on a business trip next week, but now it looks like that may be postponed as the colleague I was going to travel with unexpectedly had to have surgery :(

But even with another century ride or two this month, my August total would still be a long way away from a PBP-like distance.

Image may contain: bicycle

I am digging the stealth look of the rims!
Also the black on back rim/tire looks mean... is this overkill for a commuter???

I reckon you'll lose 200watts from the roadbuzz alone 😜
This is going to sound odd... but these tires roll amazingly well. To the point when I put them on my Stanton, I was a bit in shock how well they rolled. I have run a lesser aggressive tire on this bike, but with less quality wheels and the end result was about the same effort. Of course all said and done based on feel, no real data, but I can assure you the fun factor is through the roof!

is this overkill for a commuter???
That depends on your commute. I guess, you need to carry 40lb on your double-digi-commute which leads you through some rainforest trails and deserts. So, no overkill at all.

did a 70 km on arakawa this morning, darting off road here and there, and enjoying the new bike day. this really rides like a sofa, or a car. ran into some friends, one called it a gravel tractor - very appropriate. really feels like it could munch anything. if cannon-chan is a power-beast, propping up and prodding the rider to give it to her harder, lyn-chan is all about comfort, distance, stability. I guess I've got meself a wife and a mistress... hope they're not as high maintenance as the real-life ones (or so I've heard, of course... from others... very remotely connected acquaintances of a distant cousin's neighbor)

1566627059520.png

1566627139245.png

1566627211519.png

1566627624052.png

also, coming back saw a guy riding like a city or a cross bike prostrated in the middle of the levee descent section, covered in blood. went a bit out of my way to help him up etc. probably just a non-cyclist, without a helmet, with a backpack, no gloves etc. he went over the bars and hit the tarmac face-first apparently. had a bloody nose and mouth, hands, but could stand up, hold his arms up etc so I don't think anything's broken at least in the body (maybe nose or teeth). by the time I took him and his stuff off to the side of the road his friends arrived and I told them I'd call an ambulance if I were him. accidentally, pun unintended, couple of my acquaintances turn up the river just at that moment, so I rode with them for a while on a spur before calling it a day. stay safe everyone, rubber side down!

also, coming back saw a guy riding like a city or a cross bike prostrated in the middle of the levee descent section, covered in blood. went a bit out of my way to help him up etc. probably just a non-cyclist, without a helmet, with a backpack, no gloves etc. he went over the bars and hit the tarmac face-first apparently. had a bloody nose and mouth, hands, but could stand up, hold his arms up etc so I don't think anything's broken at least in the body (maybe nose or teeth). by the time I took him and his stuff off to the side of the road his friends arrived and I told them I'd call an ambulance if I were him. accidentally, pun unintended, couple of my acquaintances turn up the river just at that moment, so I rode with them for a while on a spur before calling it a day. stay safe everyone, rubber side down!

Dang! Good of you to help him out. Did you at least recommend a decent helmet brand? :flip:

Back
Top Bottom