What's new

Today August 2019

I got back to Japan recently after a month in Virginia & Indiana.
I left when the rain was getting old and now that I am back, the heat is nice.... yes, I did commute yesterday with Jetlag so I could look and feel my best at the office...

But back to Virginia...
This picture was taken about a decade ago...
Image may contain: Michael Miller, Carrie Law Miller and Jimmy Miller, people smiling, people riding bicycles, bicycle, outdoor and nature

And this picture was a couple weeks ago.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, riding a bicycle, tree, bicycle, outdoor and nature

My buddy Jimmy and his wife. We used to ride together monthly before I moved to Japan. We managed a weekend of camping and riding while my wife and kids were staying with the grandparents. What you can't tell from the picture is there are 2 prosthetic hips, some metal bits here and there, several others surgeries, career changes, 1 business started and another business bought, etc...

Then there is Carrie... ten years later, she is still the same. :D
One of the bonuses riding with her - she is an Emergency Room nurse.
It's nice that you had a chance catching up with your former riding buddies.
Though, while your friends are still riding the same bikes, you got (at least) one new bike for every year that you're in Japan now .

It's nice that you had a chance catching up with your former riding buddies.
Though, while your friends are still riding the same bikes, you got (at least) one new bike for every year that you're in Japan now .
Carrie's bike is long in tooth... it has to go! It is a Santa Cruz SuperLight and has served her well, however it is still 26 with old school geometry that just doesn't inspire the confidence newer bikes give. We spent hours that night going over different bikes and what she wants out of a bike... she is leaning toward a Juliana Furtado.

Jimmy's bike is badass... it is a custom steel independent fabrication. I am just as jazzed over his bike today as I was when he got it years ago. Some things never go out of style. However he is the one with new hips, so he is looking full suspension as well. He is leaning toward a Santa Cruz Tallboy. For reference, he owns more bikes than me...

We have known each other and raced against each other since I was 20. Neither of us race with any real aspirations anymore, we just show up to have fun. Speed has taken a huge backseat to fun. I was a little surprised he even mentioned a full squish since he has been a rigid/hardtail guy since I have known him, but his logic is solid. With a more comfy bike, he can ride longer and feel less beat up than he has felt in recent years.

Last edited:
Some great ride reports on here, you bar stewards.
Wednesday I went cycling in the gym!
Last sunday at training I suffered a posterior shoulder dislocation so the real thing is impossible for a while. The stationary variety is set up in such a way that no hands is very uncomfortable and I was struggling to get comfortable with 3 points of contact. Today I will try the recumbent variety and the walking pool and report back.

she is leaning toward a Juliana Furtado.
when you have enjoyed a SL for that long, switching brands would be so wrong. Interesting SC now run the female oprientated bikes under the JF brand. The SL was a great bike at the time.

I went for a ride in the mountains today. Definitely not as hot as earlier in the week. I also felt like I was getting a flicker of fitness back on the climbs (maybe helped by the cooler weather). Oh, and I debuted a new front tyre, a GP5000!

Attachments

• C8E8B650-A933-4BF2-91CC-FC6E1D3D90B5.jpeg
    C8E8B650-A933-4BF2-91CC-FC6E1D3D90B5.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 10
  • 2BD6D249-E1CD-484A-986A-8DEEB1A6E430.jpeg
    2BD6D249-E1CD-484A-986A-8DEEB1A6E430.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Some great ride reports on here, you bar stewards.
Wednesday I went cycling in the gym!
Last sunday at training I suffered a posterior shoulder dislocation so the real thing is impossible for a while. The stationary variety is set up in such a way that no hands is very uncomfortable and I was struggling to get comfortable with 3 points of contact. Today I will try the recumbent variety and the walking pool and report back.
The shoulder dislocation must be tough. I did mine playing rugby and I had to wear a sling and keep the joint immobile for a few weeks. What kind of recovery time are you expecting?

Last edited:
SCREW YOU JAPAN!!!

Holy crap! I did a whopping 15km today and half was road.
I have not felt that drained that fast in at least 2 years.
Last year I stayed in Japan all summer, so I adjusted with the weather I guess.
Today on the trail was miserable! I was happy to be out and on the trails, but my legs, shoulders, and head hurt in the first 2km of dirt.
We started at 0600, but next week will most likely be 0500 to try and beat some of this heat/humidity.
I am not sure how much is residual jetlag, but today was almost enough to get me to ride a road bike next week.

I had a little time today, so took these girls down from their hooks, washed off the shameful accumulation of dust, and spruced them up ready for some DH action at the end of the month. Hopefully no broken bones this time!

Quick razz round the park next-door on each of them. Conclusions: Lynskey is a lot nice to ride XC; brakes on Kona need some TLC; mountain biking is great fun but - as @bloaker notes - blechh at sea level in this season.

IMG_3519.JPG

IMG_3520.JPG

I had a little time today, so took these girls down from their hooks, washed off the shameful accumulation of dust, and spruced them up ready for some DH action at the end of the month. Hopefully no broken bones this time!
@bloaker notes - blechh at sea level in this season.

Nice bikes!

I like big tyres and I can not lie,
you other riders can't deny
that when a bike goes by with a itty bitty thread
and a round thing, by your shed

The shoulder dislocation must be tough. I did mine playing rugby and I had to wear a sling and keep the joint immobile for a few weeks. What kind of recovery time are you expecting?
3 weeks immobility, so 2 more. Not sure about the rehab. 6 weeks would be good so I can play in games we have set up with visiting sides during the RWC.

@Tanki I'm not sure how long I rehabbed mine. I did make a full recovery for rugby in the end, though. All the best for getting back for those tour games!

I had my first ride of the three day weekend today. More Ogose. Didn't feel too tired (read under geared) on the climbs. Stopped at Shirokuma bakery for some lunch. It was pretty good👍

C43DF979-5A49-442C-99E0-AA81C61DEFE9.jpeg
Near main climb
7D284A01-6869-455C-AEA2-807DB5BC93AE.jpeg
Favourite stand pipe
719B71ED-0B38-48E1-956D-5F0E1A9DAF77.jpeg
Bit of valley floor

I went for a ride in the mountains today. Definitely not as hot as earlier in the week. I also felt like I was getting a flicker of fitness back on the climbs (maybe helped by the cooler weather). Oh, and I debuted a new front tyre, a GP5000!

How do you like the GP5000?

3 weeks immobility, so 2 more. Not sure about the rehab. 6 weeks would be good so I can play in games we have set up with visiting sides during the RWC.
Brodie Rettalick dislocated his shoulder against SA on July 27. He had no major tissue damage and arguably will get the best rehab available. He will be touch and go for RWC. Maybe save the shoulder for serious pint lifting?

Brodie Rettalick dislocated his shoulder against SA on July 27. He had no major tissue damage and arguably will get the best rehab available. He will be touch and go for RWC. Maybe save the shoulder for serious pint lifting?
yeah, 6 weeks is short 9-15 is NHS standard. The recumbent cycle in the gym was bearable. This morning I will try the walking pool.

As you ride towards the mountains on the east bank of the Tamagawa, somewhere between the Rt59 bridge and the Rt16 bridge you will pass Kujira (whale) Sports Park on your left and two rusty train wheel sets on your right. I had always wondered if there had maybe been a railway yard nearby, but the reason is darker:

zgqz-9mG-Qe1ITUMaAedKx3Ietl31GY5u_ii53AQ-fkU-UaEQOFOzVcpBRVD9aTrWi8mxwvSv4HqQZJGAcJY3wlhzhElWqxvc3JqqN0v1vSzV66PDGFits5D8V0bVeQSNHc4tzZRAQTnAswIbSkydbyGbWe2jHGO24isOwmc1dHsh4XvjuiIz1KIRJydpRAUlnnCifGa5Q2b58pgkFW89eBLvW8ZJSy0MkvFFs6CiyIUD19z2HN0t39xGNWHuVJygiVSbNH-bW6RTPNU7Mdbu1QRgKM7lN3sXyvPdR0rX3r5AoDTVK9Ot9GXT7MlKBj-R3Iem6fVBLDuuuGQscCUuK4kofAlsXk3fCvZWAVF_CqSVmq7iendTSExRZ3SDQfzkTkH5MxfMVLXrElFwzQ4GJ1P44wGBy5s1EOSahVVRLKy1POEUvk7FqJS6AM152ojwmKNBcqmEohXtDEXS1n6rUiWg9cpQkYLzVjw8QOYx7Ietw-J_zlMUTsPXBqH7WsF11fdqz4HIcUlphlZvH_W46VOX69hc2HdhdhZtX7S_VI8pq4R_-jOHy9T83BcfEPg1IosdjOmcw-GqOBQiHm_-FYHRtlk4S9Y2OxU5jTb_RZe5kXZHto2Ub0qN9ZJc9Rhkz5x5OS5i-wUsIF16phyfIqIYCmVFqXsTQ9-cTxqgyYl8yJiqc2oSLFsLKBbU2_iEJO6ppSzajTHyTVaKqfMIBR__g=w920-h690-no

On 24 Aug 1945 two steam trains with 5 cars each collided here on the Tamagawa bridge of the Hachiko line, killing 105 people and injuring 67. The wheel set on display was retrieved from the bottom of the river in 2001 and exhibited as a memorial from 2004. Since its origin could not be attributed any other way, it was assumed to be part of one of the train cars that fell into the river then.

CxZlGeAKleY9H82IdnOhkreUjzHxR7GIn_An_Eytv4-RZBtI_Ft-B4cLFaSTsOTTuYDvGLhtLpSJeN9eJE2S3-USSo8vqt5osLhZDcYqWP-ZlscHysonbsHK9l0qunCEgiKodGG3tppFAvERWPV5FJe-rY2HvKXxpWuG2B_E4deWjYhBNMBGvUvVcd9YaBJm-hiXmy_AIbgVF8NNbMvcl_QAvS4NM7eagRZl638E2uYoSebYUoaZoybgGZePfoAMH6uZaToA_MUD5vSzo2xrDzTg5O5yVtqIXC9wJvdop4nwvRJ7GrxgnAPhLch_Of1Li8zoKdZeuGgQNpjsY0FwgdIEmR_SpdmXdKKKy3a2pnxVOLMBtnmmu5sG-4qA3B2dGdLnoPHzhpHZskueVP3PVYcP_XcH6bIKz_D23F5KKe2-96-U1syRuuJqiCzWyPOQIWYw_khp2M2ODC4k5B8NgwAo3Q8XdzIxemp_8WBMPW8ASzooOVCpkCCpDtwW3DOAUAePwW1K1aGkZHo1uA5leia9Tc0F_0dnowxtf18OszYJYg6hbX2gzXkKBKetxRwzlYuP6ZD4PT8ooW4KWv2Uq7Qe0TpqqJvf3yUxi3JzRFEiie5YIYZVI4McKPaJaCp4qpkqtu8SlMFcy6Y0S7sZRG_OYgr61cI3citwxoYu4nps_2NAm4DCW5xcs4tIMbR5CKFk2S6NSYolQedgLIv8XcOKlQ=w920-h690-no

Back
Top Bottom