What's new

Today August 2018

Well that's really good news. I was worried about his condition, as it seemed really serious on my 2 rides past.

I actually know that group, just noticed on Strava etc. It's the regular Sunday ride that starts from CITTEC cafe, lead by my acquaintance Jos. Another rider just tells me: "He's one of our Sunday breakfast riders. Out of hospital,all good. Amazingly no bicycle damage. Smashed his face and arm up a bit. Sprained his neck too. Up and around though." Also this:

39613679_10156468744775429_6609204131598958592_n.jpg

It looks like today was that kind of day. I rode past three accidents involving road cyclist today. In two cases parametics were already treating the injured person. In the third case the cyclist was sitting one the side walk talking on the phone while the involved cars took care of the scene. It was good to see that last guy was alright (more or less), since his bike was was barely recognizable as one. His pretty solid looking aluminum frame was snapped in various places incl. top and down tube.
Stay safe out there everyone and offer help when seeing someone in need.

@bloaker ouch, fingers hurt. Hope the bike is okay Haha.
ouch! at least it wasn't the middle one, imagine going around with it all swollen and purple and all
Please don't tell us this x-ray has been taken today.

The bike is stellar!
So the nice things about it being the ring finger, I was able to flick everyone off to show I could move it again.
The xray was yesterday morning.

After 4 attempts to reset the finger, the finally got it on try #5 or so... honestly I was feeling a little sick after #3 - I just sat there in quiet pain...
But when it went back, I could feel immediate relief and the pop, was audible, the doctor reacted when he heard it.

And for those who question my decision making ability...
I removed the splint in the car on the way back to the mountain.
I got in 4 more runs and another 10 PRs.
The trails were in stellar condition and I was not going to miss it!

I've done that to my finger as well, although the middle bone was down next to the base finger bone, on a rugby pitch. It took on dr holding my arm from behind and the other with his foot on my chest to pull it back in. It was serious business. Finger was in a splint for a bunch after and the joint was misshapen for the longest time afterwards. Like 20 years!

It looks like today was that kind of day. I rode past three accidents involving road cyclist today.
Yeah, seems like it. On a more positive note, I had an extremely close call today on my way back: when I entered Sendai there is a 2+2 lane road that has a gentle, almost imperceptible downhill gradient. So I can usually keep up with the traffic at 35-38 km/h, and I can usually keep up with the cars if there is some traffic. However, there are always cars parked, and so I have to weave from the left of the left lane to the right of the left lane. That's why most cars prefer to be in the right lane.

So I was approaching another parked car and I went gently shifted to the right of the left lane. I didn't do so all of a sudden, the road is perfectly straight and the parked cars are evidently visible. On the right was a steady stream of cars. When all of a sudden some a-hole decided to pass me just as I was about to pass the parked car. And he thought he best way to alert me of his presence and make me disappear is to honk at me about half a second before his car would reach me. He couldn't change lanes because there were cars to the right. So he thought let's just continue and squeeze by — but wait until we had just reached the parked car. And I have confirmed experimentally that two lanes can fit three small cars and a road bike. At ~35 km/h. Awesome. Usually I stay calm, but I hurled a cornucopia of German expletives in his direction and motioned at him at the next traffic light (I didn't give him the finger or anything). I think this was by far my closest call this year.

And for those who question my decision making ability...
I removed the splint in the car on the way back to the mountain.
I got in 4 more runs and another 10 PRs.
The trails were in stellar condition and I was not going to miss it!
That's the way to go ;)
I'm not sure about where you were riding, but we had perfect weather today, 25-28 degrees, sunshine, blue sky, low humidity. If it was in any way similar to that, you have have been in for a treat.

Uh.

Is it back to work for everyone tomorrow morning? What a drag it was nice having this week off where did the time go.

And I have confirmed experimentally that two lanes can fit three small cars and a road bike. At ~35 km/h.
Wow that sounds like really reckless driving on their part! Glad nothing happened. I usually give about 1.5m berth when going pass a stopped car, and don't leave any chances for such pushing in. The car would have to take it into the right lane or slow down behind me. Of course, I look back and do it in a safe distance of at least 30m or so. I was kind of conscious these things could happen theoretically, but to have it happen to you actually must have sucked

Wow that sounds like really reckless driving on their part! Glad nothing happened. I usually give about 1.5m berth when going pass a stopped car, and don't leave any chances for such pushing in.
Me, too, I have no desired to be "doored".
The car would have to take it into the right lane or slow down behind me.
Let me add that he didn't really have to slow down, I was going at the speed of the cars in the right lane. But it seems that many (car) drivers feel as if they are slowed down by bicycles even if that isn't the case. A few years back a lady almost accelerated into a tree because of that, she wildly underestimated the speed I was going at. Ditto if you turn right (in countries where you drive on the wrong side): if you were a car, there'd be no discussion that the cars behind you simply have to wait, but because you are a bicycle, they see you as a mobile obstacle.
Of course, I look back and do it in a safe distance of at least 30m or so. I was kind of conscious these things could happen theoretically, but to have it happen to you actually must have sucked
I am trying to buy a mirror now, they have some that you affix to the bar ends.

Me, too, I have no desired to be "doored".
on the other hand, when you leave proper distance from the stopped vehicle, you open yourself up to shenanigans like this (still can't believe what he pulled on me - brushing past millimeters from me like that - the 2nd one in this vid):

did he have anything to say?
don't remember too well, about a year ago now? he was kinda surprized, did not feel he'd done anything wrong but apparently realizing one should not overtake on the inside. come to think of it, a similar thing happened couple of months back too, just not this dangerous. I warned that guy too, and his excuse was that he was working in keirin industry and apparently in keirin you're supposed to overtake on the inside. but we're talking public roads here duh! hehe seriously, some people...

89000views... you'll be making a living out of this soon!!
😂👍
on the other hand, when you leave proper distance from the stopped vehicle, you open yourself up to shenanigans like this (still can't believe what he pulled on me - brushing past millimeters from me like that - the 2nd one in this vid):

if you need some wark done just contact these guys (as seen this morning on the commute). who says nothing good has come out of Kasukabe, Saitama

MAH04262 (2).jpg

So this morning my hand hurts worse than Sunday. The swelling has increased vs decreased. If it doesn't feel better by tomorrow, it will be a trip back to the hospital. Stupid fingers....

In other news... I will be hiking this weekend and hopefully my 4 year old will want to go.

So my new bike finally arrived... of course when my hand is hurt.
But I still managed to build it up and get a test run in.
rigid 29+ set up 1x10.
It still needs to be tweaked, but I expect it will be a hoot to ride.

40104917_1856950597691954_5449432433327865856_n.jpg
Very nice. What frame is that?

And as expected... I am changing the setup completely.
It is a bit portly and not compatible with my other bikes.
SO.... Grabbed up all my spares and I am only 1 part away from running this 1x11 and being 100% compatible with my Stanton for wheel swaps and spare parts.

Back
Top Bottom