What's new

Today August 2017

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2015
I finally made a long dream come true. I visited my brother in Switzerland and we cycled some great passes, incl. the Furka, the Nuffenen, the Gotthard and the Pragel (from steep side). Over 6000m of climbing on a single weekend was unthinkable for me living in an area flat as a pancake. I was most likely the best cycling I've ever done and I'm sure I'll be back there some time in not too distant future.
photo_2017-07-29_20-55-17.jpg photo_2017-07-29_20-55-22.jpg photo_2017-07-29_20-55-35.jpg photo_2017-07-29_22-39-58.jpg photo_2017-07-30_19-41-38.jpg

Is this some new fashion or is the granny on her way to rob a bank?!

MAH03802 (2).jpg

Also, sizable fire this afternoon at Tsukiji...

MAH03804(1).jpg

Today I am dealing with being old.
Saturday I rode Fujimi-Panorama with a few buddies who were hitting the mountain for the first time. I played tour guide.
This is all well and good, but lines are different at different speeds, so I had some adjusting to do.
A few get offs due to traction issues - but overall not an issue.

Then came one of those moment you try to avoid... Someone has a problem in front of you and there isn't enough time to stop...
You have to make a choice. I chose to not hurt the other rider. I did my best to scrub speed before going off the embankment and doing a few barrel rolls down the mountain. It could have been much worse, however I am glad I was not at full speed or things would have been much worse. In the end, I hopped up and climbed back to the trail. Continued my ride and rode for 4 more hours. A little sore, but really no issues.

Fast forward 2 days... faaaaaack me. Range of motion in both shoulders is limited. Legs, butt, ribs and neck are all sore. This morning I opted to drive to work after just glancing at my bikes. Yup... getting old sucks.

EDIT: Video Added

Last edited:
You're not old until you're at least 65.

Saw and spoke to two 65 year olds doing my favorite Hakuba mountain route on Saturday. They were in great shape on beautiful bikes. I need to get fit again as I was in no condition to do the same ride this year.

The sobering moment... when asked by one of the guys i was showing around how long i had been mountain biking... 5 years longer than he has been alive.

Last edited:
I am 52 and feel like I am in better shape than when I was younger during my racing days. I didn't say I was faster, but I eat better, and just overall smarter about my training.

This ain't the Tamagawa? Damn I took a wrong turn.

In Minneapolis, Minnesota of the US of A aka Trumpland. Rented a nice carbon fiber frame with ultegra groupset for a week. Been able to ride nearly everyday. Hometown riding is nice. Wide roads, lots of bike lanes and other riders.

IMG_5579.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6
The weather for this week is bleak....:(:mad:

I really don't won't to be having to get the indoor trainer out...

Today was my first ride for maybe ten days or more. A combination of weather, holidays, and ch****n sun burn. Anyhow I have shed a layer of skin and today was tolerable. I had words with a couple of wheel suckers on the local slope.

The rain has sucked, but I did ride to work yesterday. This morning I headed out with a buddy on a slippery trail that was more than a challenge.
We then went to Yokosuka for coffee & cinnamon roll. We decided on a difficult route back... and everything went to shit. I have not felt so drained and weak in a long time. I suffered for hours on the trail and was no longer having any fun. Just sucked.

I got home and showered, and out of curiosity stepped on the scale. I dropped 2.5kg in 4 hours of biking.
This is not normal and explains why I was feeling so awful.
Been chilling in the house since I have gotten home.
I am not a fan of the sun or humidity right now.

Not cycling exactly, but I've bullet climbed Mt Fuji couple of days ago, and here's a video report:

Hey, no rain up there!
I think Wed night/Thu morning was the only time without rain, so that kinda pushed me into deciding to go solo earlier (otherwise we were planing it as a group climb for tonight)

20863352_1819193364764392_1348909006704421181_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom