What's new

Ride Aug 4 Sun - mountain stage

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
I'm thinking of going up Mitsumine in search of some respite from the heat. Wanna avoid the river altogether and just make it a loop from Ogawa Machi. Here's the general idea. If interested comment below so we can hopefully make it work for more people. So far leaning toward Sunday

I'm new in Tokyo, so would like to join on any route mountain especially but where it start point and at what time?
I'm thinking of going up Mitsumine in search of some respite from the heat. Wanna avoid the river altogether and just make it a loop from Ogawa Machi. Here's the general idea. If interested comment below so we can hopefully make it work for more people. So far leaning toward Sunday

Hi @Mfebrian welcome. The pic suggest you're for enough fit sure. This ride will start (and most probably end at ogawa Machi station in saitama). We are still debating if we'll go tomorrow or on Sunday, but I'll comment here during the day today to confirm the day and meeting time. You will need a bike bag for the trains tho, and please practice beforehand how to pack the bike in it. It's called rinko bukuro in Japanese if you need to buy it now. Also check where the station is, and how to get there from your place

Ok it's decided. This is on on Sunday, Aug 4. There is a train from Ikebukuro station at 7:40, to arrive at ogawa Machi at 8:50. So we can hopefully be hit the road by 9am or so. There is a convini next to the station, and we can get fuel and liquid there for the first part, then there will be another convini stop after the first but before the second big climb. Let me know in the comments if you're coming so I can factor you in. This is gonna be a tough climbing day in this heat, so definitely consider it a pretty advanced ride. We have 3 people for now, but the more the merrier, and feel free to join if you're confident you can handle it, or you've ridden with me before.

Yep, I'm definitely keen for this! Sunday is definitely best for me.

Thanks Luka, see you on Sunday!!

If we're going to do a 'circular' loop we will be able to stash stuff in a locker at the station. I'll probably leave the rinko bag and stuff there, and collect it when we return so I don't have to carry it with me. I expect we'll be able to chuck all our stuff in together!

Putting it in the locker is an option but then you commit to coming back. Otherwise you'd have a possibility of bailing out in chichibu (if the weather changes, there's mechanicals, we lose time, heat stroke etc etc). Is not having additional 200g with you worth the risk?

P.S. having an additional spare tube might be good. The big climb is closed for cars and in who knows what state. Also, have enough battery in the phone Garmin whatever do that you're self reliant on the worst case scenario and don't depend on me for navigation

Yeah, that's pretty irrefutable logic. :p

I do that on familiar routes but I have no idea what we'll find out there on Sunday. Besides, I will probably have sweated away the weight of the Rinko Bag before we have left the station anyway!

Yeah when there's a lot of unknowns I feel it's better to have flexibility of bailing out, rather than having to go back to ogawa Machi no matter what (even if that turns out to be the case in the end if everything goes well). Not sure what you're bringing over @Mfebrian but feel free to leave it in the locker if you prefer, no questions asked. Just know what's the deal ok

Thanks @luka and @thooms, i don't have the rinko bukuro yet and if i can get it either today or tomorrow hopefully i can join the ride. Thanks again and looking forward to see you guys.

No probs. Would love to ride with you, so please let me know what happened and should we look for you on the day or not. Try to practice at home putting the bike in the bag at least once. Doing it outside with all the people etc can be much trickier

this is a very scenic route (view of the first descent) so I hope that will partly make up for the crazy heat. I hope it's gonna be nice and cool up at mitsumine with 1200m elevation, and the descent is always great (if not clogged by cars/buses). one mate bailed out and we now only have @thooms and myself confirmed and @Mfebrian tentative

1564794776504.png

the more the merrier (not to mention safer). great to have you @sean-e . remind me, I don't think we've ridden before right? I've seen you around on the forum only methinks

I've been on two short rides around the hood at 9:30 and 11:30. it's really crazy hot with sun on your neck! kinda worried about tomorrow, but we can always cut the last climb and just take trains from Chichibu... this has gone beyond simple dehydration level now and into heat stroke area easily

I have my rinko bukuro already got practice, would like to join tomorrow. Im from Azabujyuban so i need to go to Ikebukuro station first and them continue to Ogawamachi station right?

That's probably your best bet - you can either train it or ride. Some Fukutoshin-sen trains go all the way to Ogawamachi or looks like you can change trains at Wakoshi - might open up some more options?

Good news there'll be a few of us out tomorrow, looking forward to it. It's gonna be a scorcher tomorrow I reckon...

this is what I get from jorudan transit planner. allow plenty of time for bike packing and moving with it, esp at ikebukuro which is really big and difficult to navigate. tobu tojo line is the farthest out too.

1564804750295.png

Back
Top Bottom