What's new

Attention, stolen bike

mxs

Speeding Up
May 14, 2010
Hi guys, a friend of mine got her bicycle stolen tonight in Ebisu around 5PM. It is an NJS Venus frame, has a black Concor saddle, SRAM front brake and a HED tri-spoke on the front. If you see it around please contact me asap (through PM) and there is apparently a reward if found. If you could keep an eye out it would be greatly appreciated.

Max

I tried to link a photo, but no go...here a link to a photo of the bike http://www.flickr.com/photos/12336726@N02/6275946441/

6275946441_901960ced9_z.jpg

Click on the image icon in the editor, insert the image link et voilà!

What were the circumstances? Just asking, as I park my commuter in Ebisu at least three times a week.

PS: I have deleted your cellphone number, as you don't want to post private details on a public forum. Members can contact you via PM.

Maybe it was police? I cannot see a rear brake. This fact would have certainly be of interest to any policeman walking by these days.

Thomas, thanks for your help and removing my info. All I know is that it was right in front of the station.

Ludwig, apparently she called the bike impound lot in the case that the city took it away, but apparently no go.

I hate to say this but she's a gonna.

The parts will be split from the frame, which will either get dumped due to the serial number or filled down and resprayed.

Your only real option is to go chech out these second hand bikeshops and see if they have bought any parts recently that match the bike... unless you have serials for all the parts and the frame number its going to be very hard to prove they belong to her.

Yeah that bike will be parted out and sold in bits and pieces. Sorry to hear the bad news.

That sucks! I'll keep an eye out at Cycli. You should also post / fax images of this to all the fixe shops. But chances are it's already stripped and sold to someone in UK or NA - So may also want to keep an eye on Craigslist and ebay. Venus bikes were made by one of my training partner's , Yamada san's, brother. If you want a replacement - maybe I can help.

Do you have the S/N??

I live around there and will keep my eyes open.

It's also a good reminder as I never really feel like anyone's gonna steal bikes in that part of town.

Kind of puts me off buying used parts, which is terrible.

Damn. Very sorry to hear of your friends bike loss.

Hope some good comes out of the situation.

All I know is that it was right in front of the station..
Simple. Don't park any bike you can't afford to lose outside the station or anywhere else for more than a few seconds. Get a POS bike for that.

Thanks for the help/info guys. Oh and thanks for the potential help GSAstuto, I will shoot you a PM if she wants to try and get another Venus.

Just wanted to say that my friend ended up finding her bike yesterday, well at least the bare frame. It apparently somehow ended up at a skate/bike store in Kawasaki. Thanks for all the help guys.

Contact the police as it seems this store is buying stolen goods and not following the correct procedure when purchasing used bikes. This is a huge offence and unless these shops get a huge slap/fine then they will continue to encourage the stolen bike industry.

Contact the police as it seems this store is buying stolen goods and not following the correct procedure when purchasing used bikes. This is a huge offence and unless these shops get a huge slap/fine then they will continue to encourage the stolen bike industry.
Indeed. And this is one of the few instances in which the (usually) 500 yen for bicycle anti-crime registration (防犯登録) comes in useful. If you have the certificate, which includes the frame number, then you can prove it's your bike!

Most people do not realise that registration expires. The period depends on the locale - between 5 and 10 years. After that time the authorities dispose of the certificates, although if you keep your copy it can be useful.

+1 on contacting the authorities ASAP.

I can not believe that she was able to find it. What are the odds. What is the story?

I think most likely, the bike shop checked the registration and discovered the status of the frame; and then notified the police. If so, I hope they know who sold them that frame.

I would like to know what the actual story is too.

Back
Top Bottom