What's new

Ashigara Run - Postponed, but not cancelled!

Pucci

Speeding Up
Jul 12, 2006
How about some mountains in my backyard for a change?

Monday 9/24 I am planning a ride from Shin-Matsuda to the Ashigara Mountains. Course is only about 75kms, but is pure climbing. Shin-Matsuda – Daiyuzan – Myojin Forest Road – Kintoki Tunnel (old Ashigara Pass) – Sengokuhara, - Minami-Ashigara Forest Road – Daiyuzan – Shin Matsuda .

Much of the climb is on gated forest roads with no cars. This is one of my favorite rides; short but hard, with two hellish and utterly gratuitous 3km dead-end climbs that can be thrown in for the hillbillies.

The route is not straightforward at all; there are about 20 junctions where it is possible to go the wrong way. I'd like to keep the ride (if anyone else wants to go) to riders of similar abilities who can ride as a unit and not have to constantly stop to re-group.

I have a late night on Sunday so meet at Shin Matsuda Station on the Odakyu Odawara Line (5 minutes walk from Matsuda Station on the JR Gotemba Line) at 10:36. Roll by 10:50 or so.

Any takers? I have posted the profile here:

Aaron

Sounds good and I always like to ride out at new places, so I might be up for this. But I am waiting to hear back from a Japanese group about a long ride on either Sunday or Monday. If they ride on Sunday, I will back up and do this. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Cheers,

Keren

Count me in!

I think I'll be OK for the Monday ride, but...
Pucci, can you show us the "map"?
I'll probably ride from my house, but I need to know exactly where to go.
cheers! T

Thanks Aaron!

I just saw the map, and it's about 10km north of Odawara.
Odawara is almost exactly 100km from my place, so I'll probably take the train out there, do the ride with you & any other guys who are interested and then ride home from there.
>Keren: Hope you can make it too:bike::bike::bike:
BTW, what will the starting time be?
And; Should we all meet at "Shin-Matsuda" station, or start from Odawara? Starting at Odawara means riding an extra 10km, but it's an easier station to get to than the all-stops Odakyu line.
Even by train, getting to Odawara will take me about 2 - 2:30 hours, so a starting time of 9:00 will suit me (8:00 at the earliest.)
Whichever way, see you there on Monday morning!
Travis

I just saw the map, and it's about 10km north of Odawara.
Odawara is almost exactly 100km from my place, so I'll probably take the train out there, do the ride with you & any other guys who are interested and then ride home from there.
>Keren: Hope you can make it too:bike::bike::bike:
BTW, what will the starting time be?
And; Should we all meet at "Shin-Matsuda" station, or start from Odawara? Starting at Odawara means riding an extra 10km, but it's an easier station to get to than the all-stops Odakyu line.
Even by train, getting to Odawara will take me about 2 - 2:30 hours, so a starting time of 9:00 will suit me (8:00 at the earliest.)
Whichever way, see you there on Monday morning!
Travis

Travis, all the info is in the post. Late start: 10:36 at the station. Roll by 10:50or so.

Man you do live far away! Let's keep the start at Shin Matsuda, though. Maybe a second group for anyone who wants to get off the train at Odawara and ride up. For me and anyone coming from Shinjuku, going all the way to Odawara and then back means going in circles.

I am up for this

There will be no group ride on Sunday for me after all, so I am in for sure. But I need to post a warning to you all! I will be riding a triathlon bike and wearing my new, totally dorky looking aero helmet. :p Have a big race in three weeks, so I need to use my race gear in training to get used to it all.

Any idea what time we may finish up?

Looking forward to meeting you all on Monday morning.

Keren

Enjoy the ride, guys. Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you. :eek:uch:

Roll Call

So is it down to me Travis and Keren? Are we all in?

Sorry!

Pucci, it looks like just you and Keren.

I got back from the chiropractor's today, and I can barely walk let alone ride.:eek:uch:
Was really looking forward to it.
Travis:(

Not Happening

Not looking good at all. Down to just two and I am having really bad intestinal cramps right now. Probably better to cancel the ride now rather than in the morning. :cry:

I'l try to re-schedule this one again in a week or two. Sorry this didn't work out, Keren.

No worries. I am sort of knackered from a long, hard training weekend anyway. Will just go for a recovery ride and then kick back and enjoy the day off.

Next time,

Keren

PUCCI, if you do reschedule in a few weeks, count me in. It looks like a good ride. Just wondering how to get there? Although Shin Matsuda's not that far from my place, I'm not that keen on riding on the 246 with all the traffic. If I go by train are there some lockers in the station to stash a bike bag? What do most guys usually do here?

October 13th, or 14th???

The original ride was planned for September 24th, which for different reasons for all 4 of us didn't work out.

Pucci,
Thomas,
Travis,
Keren.

However, Pucci has set up a great course here, and it's a shame to waste it, so...
Rather than cancelling the whole thing altogether, how about we just "re-shuffle" it a few weeks later?

>Mike: Thanks for your enthusiasm as well! That makes you rider No.5, if everyone-else is still on for it too.

Let's keep the original schedule for now - 10:30 at Shin-Matsuda station - I'm sure they have coin-lockers there!
And, now that there's a few more weeks notice, hopefully the numbers might pick up too.
Aaron & I both need this training for the "Hotaka" race in early November.
Hope to see everyone there on the day!
Pucci & Travis

Re-schedule

Lets try again for the weekend of the 13th, 14th. Either day is good for me.

And yes, there are lockers in Shin-Matsuda.

May need to move ride to Saturday

I may need to move ride to Saturday. Will know better later in the week.

I'm in...

...But I was hoping we could keep the Sunday schedule.
Re-arranging Saturday after having already made promises might put me in the "bad-books".
Still, it might be possible.
Travis

Back
Top Bottom