What's new

Review Asahi Weekend Bicycles?

koreannewbie

Cruising
Mar 24, 2020
Hello!

As I'm in the market to buying a reliable bicycle for commuting/weekend travels, I was wondering if someone could tell me anything on Asahi bicycles?

This is the one I just glanced over because the price seemed nice to me. (my current budget is 50-60,000 yen)
I heard that steel frames are more reliable, but not sure how heavy I'll go in terms of packing (I weigh about ~88kg).
I do plan on putting on some panniers and hitting the road once I get a bicycle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Asahi are a well established bicycle retailer. Very trustworthy company. For the money I think you'd be better going second hand and a lighter bike which will be alloy.
Heavy bikes aren't a lot of fun when loaded and the road goes up.

Asahi are a well established bicycle retailer. Very trustworthy company. For the money I think you'd be better going second hand and a lighter bike which will be alloy.
Heavy bikes aren't a lot of fun when loaded and the road goes up.

I've been hearing a lot of feedbacks on this bicycle.
Thanks for sharing!

A long time ago a Giant Escape R3 was the first 'good' bike I ever bought. I rode that thing until the wheels started falling apart including commuting and some light touring. Hybrids like that (including the Specializes Sirrus and other similar bikes) are great when you're first starting out because they're generally comfortable for new riders, they're affordable, and they can handle most kinds of riding/roads you might want to try.

I've never ridden one and they've stopped making them, but there's a great looking hybrid commuter in Japan called the Colnago Biscotti.
It's aluminium, faked to look like a vintage steel frame. A fine combination of hipster styling and a practical bike. Perfect for the gentleman about town.

Almost as cool style wise are some of the Raleighs made by Miyata (I think). The RFC with the old logo is the coolest.

I would actually be wary about buying a hybrid, or "cross bike" in Japanese, second hand, because they are far more likely than a road bike to be used everyday and kept outside. Many roadbikes in Japan live indoors and only see action on the occasional sunny weekend.

I guess it was designed and named by a Japanese for whichever Japanese company is licensing the Colnago name. For a cheap bike, I reckon it celebrates Colnago's image and heritage pretty well, in a way that Colnago themselves may not even be capable of due to self-awareness or fear of going "too retro" or "too Italian".
Many Bianchis in Japan are likely to be Japan only models too, but some of them just look like ordinary bikes painted celeste.

I would actually be wary about buying a hybrid, or "cross bike" in Japanese, second hand, because they are far more likely than a road bike to be used everyday and kept outside.

This is a good point. Definitely would want to see a second hand bike in person before buying it, especially if it hasn't lived the pampered life that some of our bikes get.

My missus has a Weekend Bike.
It's actually pretty good for the money.
The dork disc is the only repair she has had done in 3 years.
Nice little city run around.

The bike is aluminium and much lighter than my folding bike.
You might want to check sizes because I found even their biggest bike is small and I'm 5' 10".

Asahi has another recent model called Log Adventure bike.
It's like a flat bar gravel bike.
Within your budget, but very different style. Looks very rugged.

Back
Top Bottom