What's new

Are you a Shoaler?

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
So I'm doing my morning bike commute today, and I see a shirtless foreigner running all sorts of red lights, as he apparently dislikes stopping.

I still get to Point B faster than him, because although I heed traffic lights, I ride faster in between them than he does.

At point B, the shirtless foreigner eventually rolls up and then proceeds to park his bike in front of mine. Sure enough, when the light changes, he blocks my way, forcing me to ride around him.

This is annoying. The man is guilty what the Bike Snob refers to as "shoaling."

Seems only logical to me that if you know you are slower than someone, you park behind them.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. :)

Deej

[...] I see a shirtless foreigner running all sorts of red lights, as he apparently dislikes stopping.
Not me. I wear a shirt. (I also dislike stopping.)

No resthpect.

--HF Mike--

No, I know it wasn't you, Mike. If it had been you, I would not have posted, as I would have assumed you were making another movie and didn't want someone blocking your camera.

And come to think of it, I also dislike stopping. Unless I've been sprinting and need an excuse to rest.

Not me. I wear a shirt. (I also dislike stopping.)

No resthpect.

--HF Mike--

Deej, I'm guessing you weren't on Black Thunder, but rather on your Cyclo Day Bomber? Perhaps BT would've had moe of an effect on him. Any dude riding shirtless in Tokyo has gotta be a bit out there anyway!

If this is someone who is riding at least half-fast and I'm not in a real rush this is a perfect opportunity to perform a "stretch".

Pass them and ride at about their pace, let them draft you and then just nudge the pace a little, if they respond turn it up a bit more, around this point the ego usually kicks in and when you up the pace again, out of their comfort zone they'll try to match you.

Then, as you hear the wheezing and spot the pedal standing start, you drop the hammer and vanish into the distance.

At the next lights the offender will be too ashamed to come within 20 feet...

Deej, I'm guessing you weren't on Black Thunder, but rather on your Cyclo Day Bomber? Perhaps BT would've had moe of an effect on him. Any dude riding shirtless in Tokyo has gotta be a bit out there anyway!

It's true, I wasn't on Black Thunder. But I was in full lycra-and-shaved-legs mode, which I think would have identified me as a "serious" cyclist. And the Bomber, despite its fat tires and single gear, can roll pretty fast.

I think the guy was probably just doing his own thing, and wasn't even paying attention to me. In fact, my little rant is more about my rampant competitiveness and fear of "losing" the ride to work. :)

By the way, Mike, thanks for the Nagano report. Stunning. I so badly want to do those rides!

Deej

At the next lights the offender will be too ashamed to come within 20 feet...

Yes, that tactic is indeed usually very effective. But today, even though I had "demonstrated my primacy" before arriving at the light, he still decided to be first in line.

Just as he wasn't concerned about riding shirtless, he probably simply didn't give a hoot about how fast I was, and was going to park his bike wherever he darn well wanted to.

Deej

Back
Top Bottom