What's new

Tech Are disc brakes actually safer?

If Canyon will ever have any bike back in stock again, you can have a carbon frame within the same price range, or just slightly above considering the shipping and customs fee.

It's your head and your brain. I just always ride with a helmet.
I play rugby, snowboard, drive a car and play in the ocean, all of which are just as dangerous if not more than cycling and I don't wear a helmet for any of those. Maybe the lack of a helmet makes me a safer rider due to heightened awareness?
To each their own.
@hellerphant was your crashed bike second hand?

No need to be acerbic. It's your head, you do you.

Besides, aren't helmets mandatory when snowboarding and skiing these days? At least in some parts of Europe I think they became mandatory for children under the age of 12 in the mid-2000s. And most adult skiers and snowboarders have started wearing them by default, too. I always found that they keep my head toasty and warm. :nose:

As to OP`s question, safety I would safe both would be basically equal except in wet conditions with an edge to disc brakes. In the dry its basically a wash. Safety would more be related to which brake setup you were used to, not the system itself.

The downside to disc brakes is they need more maintenance, and it is obviously a pain when dealing with mineral/DOT oil if you do the work yourself. I would say the running costs of a disc brake bike to be higher than rim brake due to need for pads/bleeding etc.

One major point to consider, is that a rim brake bike is not going to keep its resale value compared to a disc.
In your price range, most/all of the major manufacturers have phased out rim brake models. So while you can likely score a nice deal on a close out rim brake bike, do not expect it to get near the resale value of a similarly equipped disc brake bike.

Back
Top Bottom