What's new

Arakawa route

Adam Cobain

Maximum Pace
Jul 1, 2014
Hi all,
Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the Arakawa near Kawagoe area and 'easily' take it all the way to Tokyo. By easily, I mean, is it sign posted and flow well as a route without having to cross sides of the river or hit any roads. Any thoughts greatly appreicated.
Cheers,
Adam

Coming down to Tokyo is easy. If you want to stay off roads stay on the left bank until lake Saiko in the Today area then you can go on the right bank all the way to the end.
If you check my strava you can see a bunch of rides on the riverbank. All the way to end of the road in Kawagoe area and other rides that go right to the river mouth in Shin kiba.

@Adam Cobain are you/whoever coming down from Gunma? The 10 km connection I used from the Tonegawa to the Arakawa at Kumagaya earlier this month worked just fine, although there may be other options just as worthy. Here's my track from May 1st [RWGPS link]

And on the Arakawa section, if it's a weekend there will be a fairly constant stream of bikes so just follow someone who looks like they know where they're going.

You would have thought that with all the pork barrel projects the locals have participated in,they would have made an Olympic standard cycle course on both sides of Tokyo's most important river!
Instead we get a hodge-podge,stop-n-go piece of crap!
My normal ride is the Edo..........I can't abide the Arakawa with all of its cycling paths disappearing after a while and all of the barriers to PROTECT CARS FROM BIKES,lol!

You would have thought that with all the pork barrel projects the locals have participated in,they would have made an Olympic standard cycle course on both sides of Tokyo's most important river!
Instead we get a hodge-podge,stop-n-go piece of crap!
My normal ride is the Edo..........I can't abide the Arakawa with all of its cycling paths disappearing after a while and all of the barriers to PROTECT CARS FROM BIKES,lol!
Stop your moaning. The Arakawa is far better than most places for cycle roads.

. . . The 10 km connection I used from the Tonegawa to the Arakawa at Kumagaya earlier this month worked just fine, although there may be other options just as worthy. Here's my track from May 1st [RWGPS link]

The link takes me to a page that says I'm not welcome.

@Adam Cobain , here's my way. When going down the Tone, turn off to your right at Tōsuibashi (刀水橋, a name that's liberally signposted) onto national route 407. Immediately fork left and take prefectural route 341. This takes you almost all the way to Ara; but just before it does so, rejoins 407. Cross Ara on 407; at a complex junction take the minor road to your left; immediately turn left for what looks like the cycle path (and is the de facto cycle path). Soon it becomes the actual cycle path. Keep going; Tokyo is ahead.

Usefully, 341 has a number of konbini along it. Some of the shops in Menuma have a dilapidated charm. As you approach the intersection with national route 17 from the north, be sure to look to your right for the giant dinosaur. Danger: this junkyard is guarded by a goat.

Your route from Tochigi all the way down to the Arakawa on those roads is absolutely grim mate.

I recommend you carry on down on the Tonegawa until it becomes the Edogawa, then cut off at Kasukabe and go through Omiya on Route 2 onto the Arakawa that way.

Up to you of course, but this would cut the brutal north Saitama roads down to a minimum.

Get on the Tonegawa where the Route 46 bridge on your route crosses it. That will keep you on the river away from any cars (and people) for about 40km. From there you can get off at Kasukabe, then jump on Route 2 which takes you straight to the Arakawa.

I can meet you up on the Tonegawa if you want, and pull you all the way down to Omiya, or wherever, if you want. Up to you of course.

Thanks @TCC, feedback appreciated. If you have the time and, I think we could do with some fresh legs. Not sure of ETA though at Tonegawa, could be smooth ride or just as easily could be a cluster F!$K.

Just let me know mate. Mail my gmail when you get an idea of when you will be on the tonegawa (if you want me to of course. Not inviting myself!)

Maybe see you tomorrow :)

Tomorrow?

You'll have bitch of a headwind towards Tokyo down any river you chooseo_O

Aero helmet job

Reactions: TCC
Thanks all, we made it, but those rivers suck big time, tried to get get rolling but way too many interuptions. Will have to ride with one of you guys one day to show me the best route. We ended up on route 4, and took that the whole way, worked ok and was a massive day. Fun Fun Fun, now to Otaki for a 100km MTB race!!

Too many interruptions on the river so you took route 4??? Clearly you were insane by that point of the ride!!!

Back
Top Bottom