What's new

Arakawa route advice

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
I've been cycling out west of Tokyo 99% of the time and have never done the Arakawa. I'm going to rectify that situation soon. If there is anyone here who rides the Arakawa regularly and can post a good route, I'd appreciate it. It may be that all I have to do is get on the cycling path and follow it, but if there are things to avoid, or better sides of the river to stay on in certain areas, I'd appreciate the advice.

Vielen Dank.

When I want to do a quick weekend ride in the morning I use This route, it's exactly 100km round trip from my house and includes a really nice cycle cafe called VIA about two thirds of the way through. Riding on either side of the river is fine until you get up to about 35km from Tokyo bay and the southwest bank becomes a dirt section. Spend most of the time on the lower path but switch up to the upper path when there's a watergate coming up. On the east bank it's easier to take a rout e that goes past Aya lake and through Akigase park instead of trying to follow the bank (see the route I posted for details, it includes a lap of Aya lake)

The 'official' terminus of the Arakawa Psyclepath is at Mushashi-kyūryō Shinrin-kōen (what a mouthful). It's a nice park, with 17 km or so of dedicated cycle routes within.

Arakawa end-to-end

In the northern section, past Enomoto Farm (great ice cream!), there are paved paths on both sides, at least all the way up to Kumagaya. Here's that map

Finally, the Half-Fast Arakawa Loop, starting and finishing in Roppongi

@Joe McCarthy Thanks. Good info. I hope that I can do this ride in the next week or two. I'm going to be coming down the Tama then going through the traffic of Tokyo to get to the start of the Arakawa. I don't usually ride in heavy traffic like that between the two rivers, so I'm a bit intimidated by getting through those 14km unscathed. Maybe I'll make a really early start so the traffic isn't so bad.

so I'm a bit intimidated by getting through those 14km unscathed
For some reason the last map by Half Fast Mike isn't showing up for me (private map?) but I happen to know it includes a good route from Roppongi area out to the Arakawa. This link works for me (from the Half Fast Cycling website). Might be a good route for you to join up with if you're going west to east and back again.

Thanks for the input. It was very helpful, @Joe McCarthy and @Half-Fast Mike.

I have put together a route based on your advice for the Arakawa.

I have looked at HFM's morning commute ride to get me from the Tama to the Arakawa, but if there is a better way with less traffic feel free to let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

if there is a better way with less traffic feel free to let me know.
Try this!

We spent a lot of time over the years putting together the best way to link up the rivers, while keeping to the rivers as much as possible and staying out of traffic. There are a few sections that can be simplified by accepting more cars. If you want more distance, it's easy to tag more onto the Arakawa and Tamagawa sections.

Thanks... The parts from the Tama to the Arakawa and the Tokorozawa area look good. Hope to do this sometime this week.

Back
Top Bottom