What's new

Arakawa roadworks 2013/14

Reactions: jdd

Why on earth do they insist on digging up a river bank that is about 500m away from the actual river, throwing some concrete down then re turfing the area. Just a complete waste of money.

Completely agree. Here, one significant nesting area is up for similar "urban renewal". Post-nesting, it looks like this, literally flooded with 'sagi'.
DSC00257copy_zps8f0e170d.jpg

Building and sitting on nests:
May17thb_zps59be09c1.jpg

Apart from the worthlessness of the project, the signs say they're going to sterilize both river banks, and the birds will have to find someplace else to go.

Thanks for the heads up.
That just ruined my winter :(

Why on earth do they insist on digging up a river bank that is about 500m away from the actual river, throwing some concrete down then re turfing the area. Just a complete waste of money.

I think it's just a dastardly scheme to annoy cyclists. When they were doing some construction work earlier in the year one detour involved either carrying/scrunching your bike through one of those badly-designed barrier thingies, or squeezing through the gap between gatepost and wall without dismounting. Obviously the latter was quicker for everyone, but after a couple of weeks the idiots put up a barrier to prevent people doing it, causing epic MAMIL bottlenecks on Sundays.

Otherwise the civil engineering contractors who are best friends with the Government would be twiddling their thumbs for the entire winter. It's like a put-to-work scheme (but paid for by us).

Any more detail or links for this?
Sorry no links,but when I went up the river last weekend I noticed a lot of new barriers and heavy machinery that weren't there the week before.
Also a number of trees had red tape around them ready for them to be chopped down.
A few signs here and there tried to explain "how important this work is" and that it would take until March to complete,etc.
Most of the work this time appears to be on the Chiba side about 10KM before Sekiyado.

Completely agree. Here, one significant nesting area is up for similar "urban renewal". Post-nesting, it looks like this, literally flooded with 'sagi'.
DSC00257copy_zps8f0e170d.jpg

Building and sitting on nests:
May17thb_zps59be09c1.jpg

Apart from the worthlessness of the project, the signs say they're going to sterilize both river banks, and the birds will have to find someplace else to go.
Yeah the "we Japanese are at one with nature" thing goes out the window when you see such utter pointless destruction.

It looks like 11 and 13 are the only real drags. Seriously aren't there towns and businesses and a fecking nuclear plant to rebuild in Tohoku instead of wasting money on this shit? But then it seems Japan has 3 billion dollars just lying around to spend on a stadium for the Olympics, so what is this pitiful annoyance when the level of fiscal stupidity runs to that tune.

Sorry no links,but when I went up the river last weekend I noticed a lot of new barriers and heavy machinery that weren't there the week before.
Also a number of trees had red tape around them ready for them to be chopped down.
A few signs here and there tried to explain "how important this work is" and that it would take until March to complete,etc.
Most of the work this time appears to be on the Chiba side about 10KM before Sekiyado.

Thanks, I haven't been up to the castle for a month or two. They are widening the Tokyo side about 25km down from the castle but seem to be working fairly quickly at it with a few sections done and only two more, that I can remember, left.

Otherwise the civil engineering contractors who are best friends with the Government would be twiddling their thumbs for the entire winter. It's like a put-to-work scheme (but paid for by us).
The problem is...they are doing the exact same thing through the Summer,too!

Just see it as an opportunity:
Squeeze in one last strava KOM before they change the flow of traffic and it will stand forever!

Back
Top Bottom