What's new

Ride Arakawa rides?

Komuso

Cruising
Oct 6, 2010
Folks, greetings. Is anyone doing Arakawa rides at the moment? In Tokyo for another month or so. I've been going out regularly in afternoons, but some early morning motivation would be good, as would some company!

How long do you want to ride (distance-wise)? I live off Arakawa (at about km mark 17) and regularly ride there (did one today too). Maybe we can work something out.

OK, sounds good. How about tomorrow, or the day after? I was thinking we could do the standard ride where we head north on the cycle path and then west through Saitama rurban sprawl to hit some of the hills of Tokigawa (usually no more than 400-600m of elevation). Both days seem warm, but tomorrow is cloudy with no wind, Tue is sunny but headwind. I was thinking we could pack the bikes in rinko bags (if you have one) and return by train from Ogawa-machi station. There's not enough daylight and it's cold early in the morning and after the sunset to both cycle there and back. Even like this, we are looking at a distance of 120 km or so.

Last edited:
In the meantime, I've got something come up for tomorrow, so if you wanna do this on Tue let me know. If we're going all the way to Tokigawa we should start around 9, in any case no later than 10 am. If you don't fancy going all that way up north, we could do some loops around Saiko lake (sometimes shows up on google maps as Ayako lake).

Tuesday sounds good, 9am start suits me perfectly. Would be good to head north, as I haven't been that far up, but I'm easy.

I don't have a bike bag, nothing I'd want to take on a ride anyway. Any useable hyakkin/home centre options?

I might also mention that I start my rides close to Shimachu Homes / K's Denki on the Arakawa.

I might also mention that I start my rides close to Shimachu Homes / K's Denki on the Arakawa.
Great, I'm just 2-3 km upstream from there. We could meet at 9am at km 17 mark (under the Kohoku bashi bridge 江北橋). About the bag, if you can't buy/borrow one by Tue, something from 100 yen shop might do. I know they sell velcro tapes of 2m, which you can cut to the size you need, and this is great for packing the bike. For covering it though, try some rain bike cover, or those spreadsheets for picnics/ hanami parties, even black garbage plastic bags have been used I understand (held by sellotape or something).

If you're ok, now that we have this set up, I might as well make a proper ride invite post to see if anyone else might be interested?

Weekday laps of saiko lake happen from about 6am. I am out of Japan until the 12th or so. But @Mlac Peek is down there most mornings. It's pretty quiet this time of year so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding him/us.

Back
Top Bottom