What's new

Today April 2021

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Don't you love April for cycling? The temperatures are more predictably mild than March, there's fresh green everywhere and you can return to the mountains that were too cold and slippery in the winter.

I'll be heading to Aichi prefecture on Friday, to ride with our Flèche team from Toyohashi to Tokyo from Saturday morning to Sunday morning. The weather forecast is looking much better than last year's ride on this route in October, when it rained continuously on the first day. I didn't train as much as I had intended to, but I should be OK as long as I can stay awake for 24 hours.

April has finally arrive. Yippie !
Clear skies, fresh air and beautiful rainbows in the sky after them morning mist in the air.

Due to my wild critter encounters this week, I woke up and opted for a road run vs mtb ride. It is my last morning in Toyama, so I optedfor the safest activity prior to heading home.

Anyone else notice how weak yhe April fools attempts are with retailers and online news pages? If you are gonna do it, do it right. Some of the stuff seems like a 4th grader came up with it.

Usually my wife and I are enjoying some light April fool jokes. But this year's April 1st went without a single one.
My highlight of the day was a negativ Corona test which allowed me to do some shopping at a home center.
Even though I've received my vaccination life's still far from normal.
And since the temperatures are still low my cycling miles are low, too.
The good thing is that I've got the means to change my cycling miles. For everything else I've got at least some hope.

Anyone else notice how weak yhe April fools attempts are with retailers and online news pages? If you are gonna do it, do it right. Some of the stuff seems like a 4th grader came up with it.
@Half-Fast Mike should have waited till the 1st to post his video mixing rim and disc brakes on the same bike? :D

I took Thursday off work (and Friday, which was a UK holiday) and went cycle-camping with a group from Decathlon in Makuhari. Joined them near Chiba station and we rode to Lake Kameyama in the middle of Bōsō Peninsula, cooked BBQ, stayed overnight at campsite in tents that we carried with us, and then rode back. This was my first experience of proper camping (no cars involved) in my 27 years of living in Japan.

kameyama.gif

More adventure than planned! One of the group had never done such a long ride before, never mind with heavy luggage. So we decided to split up her stuff among us to stand a chance of getting to camp before dark. Muggins here got the two-man tent she'd brought. Another was strong but over-confident; she crashed on a fast and winding downhill in the middle of nowhere, and finished the trip with an ambulance ride. She'd sustained a bad cut to her chin that would require stitches, and lost skin from elbows and knees, but amazingly her teeth and (borrowed) bike were fine.

One of the participants from the store had planned the route, and led us on Day 1. Some nice new roads for me, but no new tiles. Leader/planner couldn't stay overnight, so I was volunteered to lead the pack back on Day 2 - no problem with that, except for a couple of times when younger, stronger riders decided to blast past me up the hills and then get lost. Kids!

Good fun. I should like to do more of this.

PhotosSnap 001.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed this morning that my second Lynskey frame has cracked. Again, the culprit's the chainstay close to the welding—time to claim their lifetime warranty (for two frames). And lose some weight. Perhaps.

Has anyone dealt with Lynskey before?

Has anyone dealt with Lynskey before?
yeah I remember @andywood got his frame repaired like 10 years or so after purchase, so you'll probably good with them. they also quickly replaced my fork when I raised some concerns about what appeared as a possible crack in the steerer, even tho their engineers were certain it was just the way two parts of it bond together. they even paid for shipping I think, and I was very pleased with their CS overall

Get in touch with them with some pictures of the crack and explain that it has happened under normal use.

I think I paid shipping one way and they sent it back.

It came back quickly and with a new brush finish, new bolts, new badge and new decals.

We thought it was a new frame at first.

Andy

One too many rudes on this one and forgot to put the spare link in the bag.

Attachments

• 20210404_082019.jpg
    20210404_082019.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 20
One too many rudes on this one and forgot to put the spare link in the bag.
I've actually never thought of that. My chain is 2 years old and I keep it well grease, but I wonder how long a chain actually would last doing a cross country tour?

I've actually never thought of that. My chain is 2 years old and I keep it well grease, but I wonder how long a chain actually would last doing a cross country tour?
A new chain is cheap, you could buy a chain checker and see for yourself. But you could ask your local bike shop. Perhaps you could even ask them to give the bike a check up and tell them of your plans.

A new chain is cheap, you could buy a chain checker and see for yourself. But you could ask your local bike shop. Perhaps you could even ask them to give the bike a check up and tell them of your plans.
I have a chain checker but it is only good if you use it.

New gear ration and stem. Feels like a new old bike!

Changed from a 33x22 to a 32x22. 1 tooth difference, but i feel a bit better.
Strave agrees with a couple 2nd best on climbs. Green migh be fasterthan blue too!

20210404_133353.jpg

Back
Top Bottom