What's new

April 1st 2018

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Don't have your 2018 Golden Week rides spoiled by being unemployed and homeless...

Some of you may lose your contracts for next year due to the new labor law that requires companies to offer part timers with 5 or more years of continual service full time positions.

Many schools and unis have already begun cutting / firing staff so they 'legally' will not be accountable.
The spirit of the law was to prevent this kind of mentality.

I have a lawyer friend who suggested I band together as many possible teachers / staff who are likely to lose their jobs this year... I just started a closed FB page for this purpose. Feel free to join and add in any colleagues with the same concerns. https://www.facebook.com/groups/193967134469046/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/193967134469046/

Great initiative. Wish you all the best. Ever growing casual-isation of labor has got to be overturned, in Japan and broader.

That only applies to certain types of contracts doesn't it?

I'm on a one year renewable. (11th year). I feel safe, but the law says they must offer you full time from April 1 2018. I don't think they would want to do that... so I'm just trying to be safer....Maybe they will offer me... maybe I can agree to do the same as I'm doing now... not sure I want to be full time either. Don't want them just firing me without options... They tend to do things without thinking... They have reduced my hours over the ten years. I have other work as well which I wouldn't be able to do if they made me full time... At 53 years of age I don't want to be out looking for new jobs too often if at all...

I don't know much about this new law at all but after seeing 2 friends lose their jobs this year for no apparent reason, I'm a little concerned. They had been at a private high school ten years... no problems or complaints... then suddenly asked to leave last March. The school was still looking for replacements after the April semester had started....

I have my own little school I run but it's nice to get health insurance and pension contributions from an employer... I don't like to pay for that stuff out of my own pocket.

Still have 18 months of college fees with my son to go till I can slow down a little...

Isnt it just that they have to "offer" you a FT position and you can turn it down? I've been offered a seishine position at my company for the last two years, but that would mean I would get a nice fat 1Million Yen pay-cut, so Ive been rejecting the offers.

Isnt it just that they have to "offer" you a FT position and you can turn it down? I've been offered a seishine position at my company for the last two years, but that would mean I would get a nice fat 1Million Yen pay-cut, so Ive been rejecting the offers.
They could do that if they thought of it... I'd probably turn it down as well...

I think there was a uni up north (somewhere in tohoku?), that 'fired' almost everyone this past year, staff included. My former school went to contracts some years ago, only granting seishain (正社員) status at the five year point. Even some part-timers there are wondering if this will be applied to them.

One thing I have going for me is the Principal is a cyclist and we often chat about cycling.... hope he doesn't tell me to get on my bike though...

Back
Top Bottom