What's new

Feedback Apple Mac Hipsters.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Right,

There was an issue recently with Safari, which was partly why the Quote function was disabled.

I think I have fixed the problem now, but wonder if any of you cafe latte drinking, polo shirt wearing, leather sofa sitting, it just works, Lighthouse Family listening, My First Computer enthusiasts could test it for me?

I tested it just now at work on some birds Macbook Air, after plugging in my mouse so the bloody thing actually had the ability to right click, and the problem was solved, but I need more than a single success to give this a 'Pass' grade.

So, if you want to help, please do the following;

1. Highlight some text (at least two separate words highlighted as a single unit) inside a persons post.
2. Ignore the 'QuoteMe' pop-up
3. Right click (or however you do it) the highlighted section and select 'Search in Google'
4. Examine what happens...

Does Safari search the full phrase you highlighted, or does the ghost of Steve Jobs (egged on by the ghost of Jimmy Savile) bugger things up and only search for the first word in the phrase?

If Safari searches for the full phrase, I am a genius. If it only searches for the first word, I am going to recreate the end of A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. You lot can be the jeering French peasants and I will be the English man on his way to the guillotine, but unlike Dickens' masterpiece, there will be no peasant girl to comfort me as I approach the blade...

So yeah, let me know. v(^-^) lolrofl.

Mac pro 10.7.5 safari 6.1.1 works fine. Top stuff!

Yes it works shiny.

BTW, click gently with two fingers simultaneously on a correctly-configured MacBook trackpad to simulate the altmödischrechtsklick.

Then it is a far, far better thing that I did, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

cafe latte drinking
No hate all hot drinks...except that hot lemonade you get in machines here that I was introduced to on a HF ride
polo shirt wearing
Have been seen wearing one
leather sofa sitting
Is there anything else worth putting my rump on?
it just works
Nah, take it apart, install a new SSD, spend the entire next week reinstalling the OS, software, etc and then marvel at how it saves me a few seconds booting up each time
Lighthouse Family listening
I do have one album
My First Computer
My parents were too poor to afford one for me, I had to make do with an Acorn Electron instead.

Given the mixed answers above it must explain why I run MacBook with Windows 8.1 on it.....

after plugging in my mouse so the bloody thing actually had the ability to right click, and the problem was solved
World peace? ...insert my mouse and right click!

Then it is a far, far better thing that I did, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

but gee, you haven't heard from me, yet....

but gee, you haven't heard from me, yet....

If you still have the issue, it is user error, or something conflicting in your particular system, not a problem with what I have done. As I said in the message to you, I will work with you to fix this, but this is not an error at our end, as has been proven by every single Mac user confirming that what I did to fix it worked.

Okay, I'll get to testing this in a bit.

Dinner just got done, and I haven't really settled in to my evening on the net.

Okay, I'll get to testing this in a bit.

Dinner just got done, and I haven't really settled in to my evening on the net.

These are just warm up postings before the real binge starts, yeah?

For the above people that "it is working fine", it would be nice to know what browser(s) you are using.

For me, in Chrome or Firefox (latest versions), it works fine/normally/as expected. I can select multiple words, and then by holding the control key down, click, and then google those phrases as expected.

But in Safari it does not (which I am considering giving up on (not for this trivial reason, but for some others)).

Questions?

In Safari are you getting the same problem where even if you select more than one word at a time, it only Google searches the first word of the phrase?

In Safari are you getting the same problem where even if you select more than one word at a time, it only Google searches the first word of the phrase?

It seems to "default" to whatever word the cursor is over.

For example, in your post, above, if I select are you getting, if the cursor is over getting or are, I will only be able to search that single word, not the whole phrase.

This seems like such a peculiar (non-universal) thing. Are you sure this is worth your time???

Tell me what to do, I will pursue this for a while if you want.

When you command-Click it, does the highlight snap to a single word (the one which ends up getting searched?)

command-click doesn't do anything

it just de-selects everything and leaves it as it was before

When you CTRL-Click it, does the highlight snap to a single word (the one which ends up getting searched?)

I'm sure you know this, but on a mac, control-click is what brings up the possibility of search.

Back
Top Bottom