What's new

Aomori Routes - The hard ones

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
I'll be doing a 'gentlemen's ride' in Aormori in June. I'm looking for some additional routes that will add at least 150km or so of seriously hard riding. Any ideas? The concept is that I want to be able to ride 3 days back-to-back (including the gentlemen ride). Location is centered around Lake Towada.

I'll be doing a 'gentlemen's ride' in Aormori in June. I'm looking for some additional routes that will add at least 150km or so of seriously hard riding. Any ideas? The concept is that I want to be able to ride 3 days back-to-back (including the gentlemen ride). Location is centered around Lake Towada.

Try down Oirase to the coast (flat) and then back uop through Shingo mura past Jesus (climbing) and then drop back into Aomori and Lake Towada. Heading to Kazuno is another option. Where is the gentlemans ride going? If you are loooking for a ton of climbing try the Hakoda loop. If you have a MTB climb to Hakkoda onsen and then drop down the back on logging access road, (rough) to Tenmabayashi and then up the Oirase.

Most of the group will be on l'eroica (historic) bikes - gravel / dirt is an option, but prefer standard roads and not necessarily deep rutted, single track, etc. I'll check out the Hakoda loop -- it seems pretty tasty. You can get a gist of the program here - http://aomori.chromania.jp/

If anyone is interested in participating, then just give me a shout out. The 'Aomori Meeting' event is intended for steel bikes only, btw.

I'll check out the Hakoda loop -- it seems pretty tasty.

google aomori prefectural road 242 and you'll see on the map how much it cuts back and forth. If you dont have suspension and there has been rain you'll be walking down a heap. No way you'll ride up without a granny gear. Like I said if you have an MTB it's a good fun ride down. It could be classed as double track but the erosion is pretty severe some times.

Are you heading across to the in laws in Hirosaki?

Eric and I are moving this up from the 'seems possible' to 'plan a route' phase. For sure we'll be doing the Aomori Meeting event and it's a good opportunity to have a prelude ride of our own devise. So -- if you have a steel bike and want to engage a few days of great riding l'eroica style, then please join!

I'm very interested in joining this Tim.

Just need to find a cheap way to travel from Gifu.

Dave

Ohhhhh, how I would love to, Pete! And I'd be sure to catch one of your greenline rides for the leg out of Tokyo, too. Thanks for the suggestion, but when I saw how far north the event was, I flagged it. I'd need a week off work, just to get there.

Was doing some greenline stuff over here yesterday, made me think of you guys, and gals.

Dave

Ohhhhh, how I would love to, Pete! And I'd be sure to catch one of your greenline rides for the leg out of Tokyo, too. Thanks for the suggestion, but when I saw how far north the event was, I flagged it. I'd need a week off work, just to get there.

Was doing some greenline stuff over here yesterday, made me think of you guys, and gals.

Dave

LOL! Just giving you a hard time! :D

Cheapest way to travel LD in Japan are the night busses. They might hassle you a bit with a bike - but depends on the carrier.Around Tokyo they seem to be more rigid - out in the countryside, a bit more flexible.

You guys are giving me big ideas, and I'm dumb enough to go through with it too.

This would be crazier than the midnight run up Mt. Fuji John.

Dave

Glad to hear it. I recon I need to do a few 240km trips around Mt. Fuji and back to train for it. It'll likely be unforgetable.

I'm looking at get a bunch of tires for this - my preference would be the Challenge (Clement) Strada at 25C cotton or Gommitalia Espressos. The Challenge's are dicey - you need to buy at least 4 to get 1 or 2 that aren't lumpy, but once you have a good one, it's a keeper. The Gommitalia is faster rolling and more supple. Even though it's officially a 22c tire - it's more like 24c . We should each take 2 spares - all the same - along with sealer, co2 and small tube of glue. The more riders, the more spares coverage we have.

Sounds like an awesome ride, but I can't justify buying another (Fe) bike instead of my (C) bike.
Have fun.....

I'm looking at get a bunch of tires for this - my preference would be the Challenge (Clement) Strada at 25C cotton or Gommitalia Espressos. The Challenge's are dicey - you need to buy at least 4 to get 1 or 2 that aren't lumpy, but once you have a good one, it's a keeper. The Gommitalia is faster rolling and more supple. Even though it's officially a 22c tire - it's more like 24c . We should each take 2 spares - all the same - along with sealer, co2 and small tube of glue. The more riders, the more spares coverage we have.

Mention of wider than usual tires hints that there might be some unsealed sections, would that be so? All good as long as said tires will fit through my deltas. 26mm might be the limit.

By the way, I have a really nice looking mountain pass near here that seems to be unsealed above the 1000 meter line. It looks really good, scenery, challenge wise, so I was thinking of trying some wider tires for that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom