anyone tried this route in mitaka (or is it mitake?)

mrkamot

Speeding Up
Dec 28, 2010
Kawasaki
another gaikokujin sent me these directions over the interwebs on the where i can get my mtb fix and the nearest would be in mitaka.

chuo line > get off at the last station which is mitaka > ride to the furnicular > get off at the top > rolling downhills from there > after the ride, take either the hinatawada station or the musashi-itsukaichi station

anybody tried this route? or any suggestions on any mtb rides near tokyo? (i live in kawasaki)

thank you! :pray:

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
chuo line > get off at the last station which is mitaka > ride to the furnicular > ...
Mitaka (三鷹, if that's what you mean) is neither the last station on the the chuo line, nor is there a funicular train there...

So it can't be that.

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
I think you mean Mitake which is on the Okutama Line, but not a last stop. I guess you can do what you suggest, but it won't involve much cycling... Maybe even too short and easy for Half-Fast?

May 22, 2007
Kawasaki
halffastcycling.com
I think you mean Mitake which is on the Okutama Line, but not a last stop. I guess you can do what you suggest, but it won't involve much cycling... Maybe even too short and easy for Half-Fast?
Oooh... game on!

There's nothing wrong with short and easy. Some of my best friends are short and easy.

However, to address the OQ: From Mitake station there's a short ride to the start of the mountain. Then a short-ish but steeper section to the cable-car station. From there the switchback access road winds up very steeply to the top, the temples and shrines and ice-cream vendors. Mt. Mitake.

The sections described above are paved. I've ridden them on a road bike, and they were tough. Kazahari-rindo steepness, although not as long.

Shortly after the top, the road degenerates into a rocky trail. The local resident I met up there described it as a mecca for mountain bikers. Miles of lovely trail, apparently. I turned round at that point; 23 x 700C slicks were not going to work.

The MTB riders typically go up in the cable car, she said. But with a nice climbing gear there's no reason not to earn your trails by riding up the mountain first.

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
I'm saving this for cooler days. All this steep stuff is just crazy in the current heat.

I've been wondering about the trails and whether they would be doable by cyclocross. Anyone tried them, at least on foot?

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
any suggestions on any mtb rides near tokyo? (i live in kawasaki)

thank you! :pray:
Yokohama---- 5 minutes from where I live (Lots of technical Single track) about 30-40km worth all interlooping and apparently more to be discovered.
Kamakura and Yokosuka = Done some of the Kamakura loop but never done the Yokosuka
Takao ---- Lots of riding in and around Mt Jimba
Otarumi ---- Apparently tricky to find the way in but once you do lots of good riding.
Miyagese ----- Lots and lots of off road riding there trying to find a local that will show me the routes.

mrkamot

Speeding Up
Dec 28, 2010
Kawasaki
thanks guys. i consulted jorudan and i can see it is mitakesan. will plan to do a reconaissance trip there without my bike of course to see how i will commute :)

fareast - yes, i saw that post about having some single track near your house. i live in kawasaki so most probably yokohama will be a better option for me! everyday i see my mtb and i feel it is lonely because it has been more than a year since it last rode on a proper mountain back in the philippines. care to share the location? :)