What's new

Anyone ride gravel?

@andywood
I will have a free day around Joetsu next month - do you have any reccomended gravel routes in that area?

I will actually ride there (over 3 days), i'll arrive in Joetsu on the 15th, and go home on the evening of May 16th - so i have the day free

Cool. Depends how much you want to ride? You could start working your way back and pick up some of the gravel of GF Myoko, or up further to the Nagano border to Madarao for some of the Grinduro gravel. Or you could hop on a 27 min train to here (most beautiful train ride in Japan?) to do some local gravel.

Andy

Thanks! Madarao sounds interesting
i might try and join up a few different routes!
do you have any gpx files?

Thanks! I'll try and put something together with these.

What routes do you reccomended local to you? You seem to know lots of nice gravel climbs

Thanks! I'll try and put something together with these.

What routes do you reccomended local to you? You seem to know lots of nice gravel climbs

You might be better just jumping on the train to here and doing a ride like we did yesterday. No cars, lots of gravel, lots of up and down.

Andy

Not super interesting, but i think I will ride from joetsu to matsumoto, but swing by Madarao on the way for some gravel!

I've been doing lots of guided gravel rides recently.

But today was a chance to do some exploration. Rode the gravel up the Sabaishi River valley and the gravel pass over Mt. Hachikoku.

Descend the gravel into Oguni. Between here and Ojiya it's unknown territory.

Looking for minor roads on Google Maps I picked up 5 or 6 long gravel climbs and descents.

Really good gravel with fantastic scenery.

There's so much gravel out there if you take the time to look!

Andy

Just a wannabe. I don't ride gravel, but I do ride grit. (little patches here and there that I can't avoid)

:rolleyes:

Just a wannabe. I don't ride gravel, but I do ride grit. (little patches here and there that I can't avoid)

:rolleyes:

I bet there is loads of gravel around Kanazawa!

Put some fat tyres on and go exploring!

Andy

Greetings!

Visiting from Norway, I find myself in need of urgent advise on the next days' ride, preferably on rindo and gravel roads!

After having ridden a nice loop Akiruno-Okutama - see Komoot - I am currently in Kawagoe.

Longing back to the mountains and open spaces, I consider heading west in Saitama Prefecture, perhaps towards Lake Naguri or further north.

I would be extremely grateful if any of you would point me in the right direction for a wonderful trip in the area. If you have routes on Strava or Komoot, that would be just perfect!

Two days with sleepover: I have tomorrow Wednesday and Thursday on my hands, but need to get back to Shinjuku Thursday evening before the flight home Friday.

I'm on a Kinesis Tripster AT gravel bike with 42 mm Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge, so I'm ready for anything.

Hope to hear from you! Thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings!

Visiting from Norway, I find myself in need of urgent advise on the next days' ride, preferably on rindo and gravel roads!

After having ridden a nice loop Akiruno-Okutama - see Komoot - I am currently in Kawagoe.

Longing back to the mountains and open spaces, I consider heading west in Saitama Prefecture, perhaps towards Lake Naguri or further north.

I would be extremely grateful if any of you would point me in the right direction for a wonderful trip in the area. If you have routes on Strava or Komoot, that would be just perfect!

Two days with sleepover: I have tomorrow Wednesday and Thursday on my hands, but need to get back to Shinjuku Thursday evening before the flight home Friday.

I'm on a Kinesis Tripster AT gravel bike with 42 mm Rene Herse Hurricane Ridge, so I'm ready for anything.

Hope to hear from you! Thanks!
Damn sorry only just saw this as don't log in here often.

Kawagoe and Saitama has some excellent riding and 42mm tyres make the farm area roads much smoother. Hope you found some rides.

Gravel is my favorite and I have all of June to play on as much of it as possible. I posted a separate thread because this one seems pretty old now, but if anyone gets a notification and feels like sharing some cool routes….thanks!

Back
Top Bottom