What's new

Anyone ride gravel?

thanks for the insight
might look into those 40mm bokens!

I just ordered a new pair of tyres for my profile pic bike, my Fairdale Weekender.
Visited Matthew Cycles in Asagaya looking to get some Teravails but they didn't have the ones I was after and couldn't order as suppliers in Japan are out of stock and don't known when more will come. Sounds like they are struggling with lots of parts and even bikes.

They are a stockist for Salsa bikes, which make sweet sweet gravel bikes, and are actually the manufacturer that kicked off the whole gravel bike scene.
So in the end after a bit of searching online I picked a pair of IRC Boken 40mm tyres. Never used before, they arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing that. I'd not really heard of the brand but looking forward to riding them. Don't think I'll be doing too many downhills, Sayama I managed to get around with a Schwalbe Little Big Ben on front and WTB Nano on back.

I really enjoyed the fast rolling centre line and also the grip on dirt but wanted to try something else after 2 to 3 sets of WTBs.

A bit worried if they run wide I'll not have enough room. Future bike purchase will have a lot bigger clearance for sure.

Last months gravel ride was good fun! so I'm wondering is anyone up for another one?
This time i'm thinking sayamako from the spaceship again, followed by coffee in kawagoe and then back to spaceship (trying to fit in as many gravel/back roads as we can)

Sounds good. I'd advise avoiding a lot of the Shingashi river which has been let grow so wild grass almost like reeds are 6 foot tall and so thick I couldn't pass in areas. Covered in marks from riding through tall grass.

Showed wife the video I took and didn't realise how many bugs I had crawling on me after riding through the long grass. Lol. Wife let out a shriek upon seeing, wished she didn't have to sleep next to me due to coming into contact with caterpillars 🐛

Would love to join but unfortunatley I'm busy on sunday :(

next time!

I think I will go for 2 laps of Sayama gravel early Saturday morning. Any takers? I'll be the hatted and bearded guy on a 40 year-old bicycle with brakes that don't work loitering around the north side of Mitaka Station at 8:00 am. Hard to miss.

Looks great but I've already got plans in a different direction, thanks for posting though. I'll try to post next time I have a ride worth joining.

I think I will go for 2 laps of Sayama gravel early Saturday morning. Any takers? I'll be the hatted and bearded guy on a 40 year-old bicycle with brakes that don't work loitering around the north side of Mitaka Station at 8:00 am. Hard to miss.

Hi @hat and beard . Sorry for the late reply. If you see this in time I'll be coming up from Hino. How about we meet here? Looking at your route it looks like you'll get there a little before 9. I'll be wearing a red jacket and white helmet.

Hi @hat and beard . Sorry for the late reply. If you see this in time I'll be coming up from Hino. How about we meet here? Looking at your route it looks like you'll get there a little before 9. I'll be wearing a red jacket and white helmet.
I will endeavour to meet you there as well. I'm a bit far away so may not make it in time -- if I'm not there on time go ahead without me and I'll try to catch up on the route.

Sorry!! Didn't catch your messages until now and ended up getting stuck trying to fix a mechanical issue at home. I won't be out until much later as I am currently brakeless. Many apologies!

Sorry!! Didn't catch your messages until now and ended up getting stuck trying to fix a mechanical issue at home. I won't be out until much later as I am currently brakeless. Many apologies!
Considering your original post mentions the brakes aren't working I didn't think that would stop you ;) Catch you again when you get those sorted

Me and Connor had a nice ride out anyway, great weather today even if I got a flat in the last patch of gravel.. I'll come better equipped next time!

How was the ride guys?

If anyone is free on Nov 27th I think i will do something like this:

sayamako + umenoki rindo - which would be a decent 400m climb followed by a long gravel descent

open to suggestions and also flipping the route completley (long gravel climb + paved descent)

reverse actually looks like a much nicer route

can start at musashi itsukaichi station - do the climb and then ride to sayamako from ome

Depending on your suspension status and/or cojones, there is or was also a mountain bike trail/shortcut that former TCC denizens Alan and Naomi used to enjoy.

1636616316018.png

Back
Top Bottom