What's new

Anyone ride gravel?

djentleman

Maximum Pace
Mar 6, 2021
Any gravel riders here?
I'm based near Ueno and looking for routes/people to ride with.

Personally I like riding on the gravel routes around Sayamako, Tamagawa and Shibagawa in Saitama. Anyone know any other good spots?

Also would anyone be up for going for a ride? I've been in Tokyo around a year, and usually go out every weekend and do rides in the 100km - 200km range but haven't found that many people to ride with unfortunately.

Cheers

Hey! I ride those routes often too, especially shibagawa since I'm really close to it. Edogawa has a really long gravel road too, and I have seen tons of back roads when I venture out to the countryside in Chiba.
Would be nice organizing a gravel ride again. We did a couple times with some people here.

Ah I've been up edogawa a few times - I did the healthy road/edogawa loop in January and noticed there was some pretty nice gravel running up both sides. I've been meaning to go to the castle and back on the gravel.
There is also a little riverside gravel path near Arakawa called Kyu-nakagawa, but not's not very long.

@47no Yeah that sounds good! I think tamagawa->sayamako could make a pretty good route because its not too far from the city and should have about 40k of just gravel

Edogawa works for me - I think castle and back would be a pretty good ride

Hey! I ride those routes often too, especially shibagawa since I'm really close to it. Edogawa has a really long gravel road too, and I have seen tons of back roads when I venture out to the countryside in Chiba.
Would be nice organizing a gravel ride again. We did a couple times with some people here.
Sorry @47no. You actually came to mind, too, but I couldn't remember your name on here.

@TokyoLiving sounds good!

halloween night gravel also seems like it would be good fun - hopefully you guys do it again this year too

Gravel sounds like fun. Are proper gravel tires necessary? I have what the locals call a cross bike (flat bar 700c hybrid with low-end MTB gruppo).

If anyone is up for it, it would be fun to do something like this next month

@hat and beard's route

If anyone is interested in a longer ride we could join it up with the gravel on tamagawa like this

Definitely check out the gravel at sayamako if you haven't been there yet

There's gravel under there somewhere!

20210420_154111.jpg
First time to hit the local gravel rindos today. Lots of snow patches to deal with after heavy snow this winter.
20210420_155305.jpg
And perhaps even more fallen trees blocking the road in many places.

20210420_155416.jpg

I'll check out some more rindos tomorrow too.

Get into gravel!

Andy

Sorry I'm miles away in Niigata. We have a big network of gravel here. All up and down.

Stuff like this:

20210420_212442.jpgI hope to organize some rides / events here if and when corona ends...

Cheers, Andy

Back
Top Bottom