What's new

Anyone ride around Kamakura?

MisterRips

Cruising
May 30, 2013
Hi,

Been riding a year now and live nr Kamakura.
There are 2 main routes I ride from here: East thru Misaki etc and around the peninsular or West along the coast and up into Yabitsu or Hakone.
So, looking for alternative routes from here that don't involve town traffic or 500 shingo's on the way.
I fancy trying Hachioji but looks like a few hours on the train there n back plus the riding :(
Routes doable all via the bike (no train or rinko bag)
Similarly, if anyone rides these routes already and need company please let me know as I need some inspiration and new targets.

Cheers,
Rich.

I live in Chinatown and I ride though Kamakura twice a month or so.
I ride down to Miura and out to Odawara and they do seem to be the most direct way to get around.
When I do ride down that way, it is usually early on a Saturday morning prior to the beach waking up, so I get to roll down 134 pretty much free of traffic.
Anything north of you ends up in street light hell - hence why I ride down your way prior to choosing to go west.
I am actually moving to the Hiyama/Zushi area this summer and very much look forward to cutting out the 40 minutes it takes to get to 134.

Have you headed east and taken the ferry to Chiba?
I have not yet but several buddies have raved about the roads and lack of traffic on that said of the water.

I live in Chinatown and I ride though Kamakura twice a month or so.
I ride down to Miura and out to Odawara and they do seem to be the most direct way to get around.
When I do ride down that way, it is usually early on a Saturday morning prior to the beach waking up, so I get to roll down 134 pretty much free of traffic.
Anything north of you ends up in street light hell - hence why I ride down your way prior to choosing to go west.
I am actually moving to the Hiyama/Zushi area this summer and very much look forward to cutting out the 40 minutes it takes to get to 134.

I have not yet but several buddies have raved about the roads and lack of traffic on that said of the water.

No, I haven't tried Chiba yet, but like you have heard good things about it.
If you're up for meeting and planning a day trip via the ferry - I'm up for it.
I also want to head down to Izu for a ride but this looks like an overnite job from me/us.

Depending on how you want to ride Izu. You can stay by the shore and get to Atami Castle fairly easy... but to get up to the Skyline will be a beast of climbing.
I was out there Mountain Biking two weekends ago and some of the roads looks fantastic and little traffic. The way we drove was up by hakone, so that will be a bitch of a climb. Per strava it does not look much worse than Yabitsu Southside... but when you drive it, it seems much worse!

I passed a campground in Namazu and I was just talking to my wife about possibly driving out there and setting up camp and use the campground as a home base for a weekend of exploring/riding/Hiking. She is pregnant tho - we would have to see how an overnight trip may or may not pan out.

As for Riding out to Chiba, I am all for it, I just need to have a small heads up so I can make it happen.

Depending on how you want to ride Izu. You can stay by the shore and get to Atami Castle fairly easy... but to get up to the Skyline will be a beast of climbing.
I was out there Mountain Biking two weekends ago and some of the roads looks fantastic and little traffic. The way we drove was up by hakone, so that will be a bitch of a climb. Per strava it does not look much worse than Yabitsu Southside... but when you drive it, it seems much worse!

I passed a campground in Namazu and I was just talking to my wife about possibly driving out there and setting up camp and use the campground as a home base for a weekend of exploring/riding/Hiking. She is pregnant tho - we would have to see how an overnight trip may or may not pan out.

As for Riding out to Chiba, I am all for it, I just need to have a small heads up so I can make it happen.

Sounding good so far, how do I contact you?
Cheers.

PM me here and it sends me an email, so I can respond pretty quickly.

Hi! I'm across the bay from you in Chiba. The southern part of Chiba really is a small bit of cycling paradise.The ferry is a great starting point for a ride. Let me know if you need any route ideas and / or company for a Chiba ride.

I used to live out in Izu and it's great too. Mishima to Shuzenji to Nishi Izu Skyline to Matsuzaki to Shimoda is one of my favorite routes I've ever done. That's definitely an overnight trip if trains aren't involved at all, though.

I tried it once - riding from Shibuya to Miura, then ferry, then back to Shibuya. Actually Miura itself and south of Chiba are beautiful but Chiba gets pretty grim at the north.

Going along the west coast of Izu peninsula - Mishima ~ Heta ~ Matsuzaki~Nishi-Izu~Irozaki is much more recommended. Very beautiful. But hardly possible in one day, at least for an average person.

Chiba gets pretty grim at the north.

The north of Chiba is bounded by two great rivers - Edo and Tone. Both have wonderful cycling paths along almost their entire course. Grim indeed.

20140405233910a50.jpg

Utterly disgusting.

Hi! I'm across the bay from you in Chiba. The southern part of Chiba really is a small bit of cycling paradise.The ferry is a great starting point for a ride. Let me know if you need any route ideas and / or company for a Chiba ride.

I used to live out in Izu and it's great too. Mishima to Shuzenji to Nishi Izu Skyline to Matsuzaki to Shimoda is one of my favorite routes I've ever done. That's definitely an overnight trip if trains aren't involved at all, though.
Hi,
Yep, working on getting a ride sorted in Chiba, so will def let you know on that.
Main snag is that I work weekends though.
Tues & Weds off, Fridays possible.
Cheers
RIch

By the grim part I mean the part which is grey. Probably going further north in direction of Narita is pretty good.

I try and avoid Kamakura like the plague between 7am and 4-5pm when out on the bike.

Back
Top Bottom