What's new

Anyone know where to get a bike rack?

SlingerAj

Warming-Up
Jun 8, 2008
Have 2, soon to be 3 bikes and no room inside for them. I do however have a parking space so a small bike parking "rack" (not sure this is the right word but the kind of thing you'd find outside a supermarket) for 4 bikes say would be great, then i can just throw a cover over the whole lot outside.

Anyone know where I can buy? A bike shop's shop I guess.

Aidan

Bike mags

Pick up a copy of Cycle Sports or any of the monthly glossies and there are usually plenty of ads for this kind of kit there. Can't remember any specific examples however, as you might expect, Japanese ingenuity re storage solutions shines through and I am sure you will be able to find what you need.

Charles aka chazzer

TSUPPARIBO-type bike hanger

Does anyone have any experience using this type of rack (inside)?

http://www.cycle-yoshida.com/fukaya/minoura/displaystand/biketower_page.htm

I like the look of it, because it takes up less space than the other designs - but I worry about long term stability. I can picture the ceiling bending slightly, and then a terrible crashing sound ....

I've been using mine (some TOPEAK model I got through RAKUTEN) for more than 2 years now in the bedroom (!)...very stable, never had to re-adjust. I do worry a bit about earthquakes...if at night, I'll probably get buried first by my two bikes suspended in midair next to my bed (at their lightness I don't think they can kill me though!)

I was close to getting that one, but like you I was concerned about the ceiling slowing turning concave (don't know if that's a real concern or not). Ended up with the one in the picture. The two legs stick out and the top leans against the wall. It's more stable than it looks...better, I imagine, than the self-supporting types with 3 or 4 legs at the bottom.

bikeStand.jpg

I use that rack, snoogly. I've been using it for over a year, and it has worked perfectly. I was also concerned about its stability at first, but the sucker hasn't budged since the day I wedged it between the floor and ceiling. Also, the ceiling where I have the rack is concrete, so I don't have to worry about holes.

Deej

I like the look of it, because it takes up less space than the other designs - but I worry about long term stability. I can picture the ceiling bending slightly, and then a terrible crashing sound ....

Not Always . . .

Last year I was returning home along the R246 having completed a 240km ride with (in pursuit of) Christoph. I had just said goodbye to Christoph and was looking forward to an easy last 15km roll home. First I had a steep hill to climb.

As I began, a schoolboy on a mamachari decided to race me to the top. I had no choice but to join the race - I was dressed in lycra and due to heavy traffic had a large audience.

Shit that kid was good. He was immediately out of the saddle with his head stuck out across the front basket stomping on the peddles his black blazer swishing wildly behind him. I was in trouble and the kid knew it.

Thankfully the kid bonked halfway up. Now I take the overpass :D

Philip

Never race a school girl in cold weather

I was shamed on a very cold day last winter, trying to keep up with a J H School girl on a no-geared bike, who overtook me going up a long, steep, hill.

A friend of mine asked if she was wearing a short skirt - and when I confirmed this my friend pointed out that it is futile to try too keep up with gals like that - as a blast of cold air, even if apparently coming from the wrong direction, induces them to move their legs at a rate far more rapid than someone 3 times their age ...

Must...resist...posting...reply...

*applies headlock and drags self away from keyboard*

Must...resist...posting...reply...

*applies headlock and drags self away from keyboard*

Me 3.

I got 2 racks.
One from Costco
One from the LBS.

May post a pic later of my specially built bicycle room. (need to tidy it up a wee bit.

I'm too sexy for . . .

I was shamed on a very cold day last winter, trying to keep up with a J H School girl on a no-geared bike, who overtook me going up a long, steep, hill.

A friend of mine asked if she was wearing a short skirt - and when I confirmed this my friend pointed out that it is futile to try too keep up with gals like that - as a blast of cold air, even if apparently coming from the wrong direction, induces them to move their legs at a rate far more rapid than someone 3 times their age ...

I think this is in the wrong thread? Perhaps it should be here:

Buying Speed > https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=699

or here perhaps?

Musing on the Razors Edge (leg shaving) > https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=809

The conclusion is; forget training, buy yourself a short skirt and shave your legs :eek:

How did we get here???

Philip :rolleyes:

Is my pole rigid enough?

OK. I got one and set it up today ~ but now I worry that my pole isn't rigid enough. There is a little 'give' when I push on it. It seems like the outer pole 'gives' a bit, but the inner bar (and the spring at the top) stay firmly in place.

Can someone with the same pole let me know if there pole is always rock-solid, or does it 'give' a bit when you push on it?

(double entendre intentional ... :p )

Back
Top Bottom