What's new

Anyone interested in riding Mt Fuji 5th station on Fridays?

Pisces

Cruising
Dec 15, 2007
Hi everyone,

Last week (August 12th) i bicycled to Yamanakako from Sobudai where i live. I took route 16 to Hashimoto station then took route 313 and subsequently turn to route 413 Doshi road. It was a 70 km nice ride, with about 5 km straight climbing towards to end. I was kind of riding slow in order to assess to road because it was my first time in Doshi road.

I am going again this coming Friday on August 19th this time i will go all the way up to 5th station; however, i do not mind if i can't climb on my first try because i am not sure how difficult will be. I am also worry about effects of altitude on my body.

If anyone rode Doshi road previously to Mt. Fuji please give me some information after arriving Yamanakako:

1) should i turn right to route 138 which will take me to base of Mt Fuji?
Road sign says Mt Fuji toll road. Can i enter that road?
2) how many km from Yamanakako to base of Mt Fuji?
3) how many km from base of Mt Fuji to station 5?
Any tips about water intake, food and altitude difference as well as anything else you can think of appreciated.

Also, anyone interested can join me. I will leave Sobudai at 3 a.m.
Thanks all in advance,

Chris

Left or right at Yamanakako?

Last year, Andy_W and I did a similar ride (and included a climb to the summit).
You can read about it HERE.

Once you get to Yamanakako though, it doesn't matter whether you go left or right; both directions will take you to the same place.
You will need to follow Rte.138, and specifically follow the signs to "Fujiyoshida 富士吉田".
Follow that road west - it goes downhill, not too steep - for about 9km. Then you will start to see signs showing you the turn-off to the "Subaru-Line". The toll is 200 yen for bicycles.
Good luck on your adventure!

Being the silly fool, I followed this route after Yellow Giant (including the climb). Ended up doing it on a broken frame fixed gear as well. So, I suppose if a 53yo geek on a broken fixed gear can do this, pretty much anyone can. I suggest starting earlier so you get into the climbing portion while the weather is still cool - and you can return from the mountain during daylight. There aren't alot of vending machines up the Subaru line - but there are enough so you don't need to carry more than a waterbottle or 2.

BTW - I'm strongly considering a 'Fixe to Fuji - Part Deux' if anyone is interested. I think I started a thread on this earlier.

Yellow Giant your last year's ride article is very helpful for me. It was a great read too. I will do this Friday early morning my climb to 5th station. As i read your article it is going to be an easy 24km climb. May be a week or two after i can also do hiking to summit.

I am also interested in running that 24 km. do they charge runners too?

thanks Ludwing and GSAstuto for your inputs.

chris

GSAstuto about 'Fixe to Fuji - Part Deux' (is it means climbing to Fuji?) i would like to join you and others. Let me know when you are planning to do. I am free on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays until 17:00

Chris

Runners, hikers and walkers should be free.

The forecast for this Friday is not great. I would not recommend doing Fuji-san if you don't have a view, and perhaps even get soaked, which at 2,500m could end up being rather cold. The mountain itself when you are on it is not that interesting.

Totally agreed! Even when it was overcast, it was chilly and I really didn't want to spend anytime at the top. BTW - can't remember if I actually paid at the Toll Gate ---- think so .. but then again ... This year I have a new membrane jacket to bring along. Very lightweight, water resistant and wind resistant - should help alot without adding more weight (which I really hate).

Runners, hikers and walkers should be free.

The forecast for this Friday is not great. I would not recommend doing Fuji-san if you don't have a view, and perhaps even get soaked, which at 2,500m could end up being rather cold. The mountain itself when you are on it is not that interesting.

Hi Ludwig and GSAstuto, I did not go last week due to weather. On Saturday morning did a 10 miles run outside and Sunday another 5 miles in gym. No bicycling last week. Hopefully, this Friday we will have a good weather and i will go with my 17 years old son until toll gates. I do not want to scare him with so many climbings which i love. I am a very slow climber though. Still a newbee.

Back
Top Bottom