What's new

Anyone have conti 4000s shedding threads...?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Doing some bike cleaning today, one thing I made sure to do was to pull off any threads that my conti tires have been shedding. The threads come off just above where the tire meets the rim, and when pulling on them, it usually pulls off on around the rest of the tire, so each thread can be that long. Besides coming off the tires (I usually notice and pull them off), some of it was wrapped around the front hub, and there was even a little in the rear derailleur. Yuk.

I've used these tires for quite a while, and may have gotten a couple "unique" ones or something. It doesn't seem to otherwise affect durability/longevity. Indoor parking, so it's not a sun thing.

Is this a known conti issue?

Is this a known conti issue?
Not sure if it's an issue that affects performance/safety ... but I had 2 sets of GP4000S clinchers before (around, 2012 IIRC) and it also shed as you described so you probably didn't get lemons.

My current conti 4000s are shedding in the way you described as well. No performance issues, though.

Not just 4000 series. Gatorskins do it too. Famous for it. I usually trim them off with a lighter.

It is annoying to have to do this, but I like the tyres so much in all other respects that I keep buying them.

Happens all the time to mine. The rubber's also started cracking, but don't think it has any effect on the integrity of the tyre.*

(*famous last words)

Not Conti but Schwalbe Ultremos for me. Didn't seem to affect the tires shape and it still felt plenty grippy... Swapped it out after a year of thread shedding just because of ratty appearance.

Not only road tyres - I used to use Conti on my MTB and they were the only make that I found to do that, never had a problem with punctures etc..........

Okay, thanks all for the replies. Sounds like a bit of ongoing it-is-what-it-is.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but kind of related... An a**hole taxi driver cut me off this morning to pick up a fare so I had to go into a skid to avoid smashing into the cab. When I got home I noted that the skid had scraped away about 3cm of tread of my rear 4000s and the cotton under the rubber is now showing. Are these tubulars done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Gatorskins but rarely have this issue. I used to ride on 4000s before, but thread shedding was rare too. Even if I find a loose end, I pull it off carefully and won't happen again. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Some 20 years ago I used to have this issue on my MTB tyres (Panaracer Timbuk-II) very, very often.

Back
Top Bottom