What's new

Anyone for Tennis in Kinuta Park (Setagaya-ku)?

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
Just wondering if there is anyone within reach of Kinuta park who enjoys a bit of competition off the bike. and has a bit of time to spare in the early mornings (7-9am) or perhaps some other time. I can do the court reservations, bring some balls to the game, and as a player am consistent and pretty good.

And I can even make this about cycling for you.

1. Tennis is good for you in ways that cycling isn't
Cycling is a non-contact sport (knock on wood) and as such cyclists can tend to lose bone density, which makes them more prone to breaks and fracture. Tennis, meanwhile, is an impact sport when played properly (i.e. hard) and can help strengthen your poor brittle bird bones. If you are someone who consciously reduces bone mineral density to achieve 1/10 seconds off your best Strava hill climbs, please move on. If not, please do not get any ideas.

2. You are now better at tennis than you thought
You may have been just okay at tennis before but after thousands of km in the saddle you are now much, much better. You are fitter, lighter and quicker, able to concentrate better for longer, and after avoiding road trash on 50+ km/hr rindo descents every Saturday/Sunday can spot even the fastest balls with hawk-like accuracy and precision.

3. You can ride your bike to the courts

Game, set and match!

Way too far for me but I would love to get my tennis game back one day. I used to think I was pretty good, once upon a time.

Hope you find someone to play with.

It's not too far for me, but I can't imagine I would be any fun to play against. As in, not a lot of returns.

I played a lot of tennis as a youngster, used to have a decent game, but a bit far for me unfortunately. But would be up for an occasional weekend game.

I played a lot of tennis as a youngster, used to have a decent game, but a bit far for me unfortunately. But would be up for an occasional weekend game.

Weekends will be difficult because of how overbooked courts can get, but not impossible. Btw, there's something called the Kamiigusa Sports Center (上井草スポーツセンター) that has 6-8 am court slots with some open during the week. If I am stalking you on Strava correctly, it's probably about 5 km ride from you (and only 10 from me).

I won't bite on tennis, but I'd probably fly across the country to whip your ass (or anyone else's) at racquetball.

A true bit of exercise, and it was an addiction to the challenge courts at U-Ill that made me lose my way in grad school.

Back
Top Bottom