What's new

Anyone fancy a masochistic 220k+ loop this Saturday?

TOM

Maximum Pace
Apr 9, 2007
This Saturday, I'm planning a repeat of a 220k+ loop I did last month (see link below) covering 4 or 5 "serious" hills.

RdV is 6:30->new time:7:30 at Sekidobashi (along the Tamagawa CR). Pace will be medium-fast -> make that FAST with stops at 7/11s and/or other convenience stores kept to a minimum (in order to keep the rhythm going.....:rolleyes:)

Here's the course: Sekidobashi on Tamagawa CR -> Asakawa CR -> Takao/Otarumi-toge -> Akiyama-onsen -> Hinazuru-toge -> Suzugane-toge -> Saruhashi (R20) -> Matsuhime-toge -> Okutama (or alternative: Kazahari-toge aka Tomin-no-mori) -> Ome/or Itsukaichi -> Ishikawa Brewery:beer2: -> Tamagawa CR

関戸橋→大垂水→秋山温泉→雛鶴峠→鈴懸峠→猿橋→松姫峠→奥多摩湖 (または、風張峠)→青梅市(または五日市)→石川酒造(ビールを飲む)

Please beware...this is not a beginner's course but rather something designed with masochists in mind :eek:!

http://vlaamsewielrenner.blogspot.com/2008/07/through-thunderstorm.html

Looks like a great ride, Tom. Would love to join you, but unfortunately I'm going to be down Boso way on a two-dayer. Have a good one, and watch out for possible rain on Saturday.

Hi Tom . . .

Unfortunately I cannot join you as I am participating in my jogging clubs Summer Camp this weekend. Otherwise I would have been first in line to sign-up.

I'll be available the following weekend?

Cheers,

Philip

Phil:...too bad, a Boso 2-dayer sounds nice too though.

Philip:...if we must take a rain check this Saturday, we can always re-schedule for next weekend, no prob.

Hey Tom,

For me to get to Sekido-bashi by 6:30, I'd have to leave home at 5am.
Is there any chance of pushing the time back an hour or so?
I'd like to use this ride as a spring-board for the "Hotaka" training.
If the time is not-negotiable, I'll see what I can do the night before... But please count me in (tentatively).
Travis

OHSMK Loop...7:30 revised time RdV @ Sekidobashi

Is there any chance of pushing the time back an hour or so?
Travis

All righty! Travis is (might be) joining! Of course I realize 6:30 is a bit of a sharp time for those living further downstreams (original 6:30 starting time was meant to be part of the masochistic deal + to give us just enough time for a beer at Ishikawa....) But no despair, let's leave Sekidobashi one hour later at 7:30 and change the ride plan from medium-fast to fast:eek:...we may still be able to catch a beer :beer:before dark that way:D!

Who else is joining? Thomas? deej? I'll will also ask the local Positivo Espresso guys (read, picky sissies, hello M O B)...

BTW: OHSMK Loop stands for....Otarumi Hinazuru Suzugane Matsuhime Kazahari Loop (other acronyms may be possible too)

Who else is joining? Thomas? deej?

I'd never abstain from a brutally masochistic hillclimb, but Sergey and I will most likely embark on a two-day Fuji adventure this Sat and Sun. :)

Thanks for the post, Tom! Looks like a fun day out. I have to work Saturday evening, so I won't be able to join you for the entire ride. Hopefully, I'll get to ride with you until Otsuki -- I don't think I'll have enough time to climb Matsuhime, which is too bad.

I'll see you at Sekidobashi at 7:30! Hope to see you there, Travis! I hope to see some of the Positivo Espresso guys, too.

Deej

super-duper deej! Now we got someone to do all the pulling up front, yeah!

As you know, Otsuki is just following our descent of Suzugane-toge. You could hop a train from there but even hopping a train from Okutama Station (skipping the last hill of the day, Kazahari, of course) may still give you enough time to make it to work... Anyways, we'll see you @ 7:30 @ Sekidobashi. Looking forward to this ride! So far:

Travis (maybe -> very likely)
M O B (maybe for part of the ride)
deej (definitely for part of the ride)
TOM (definitely for the entire ride)

Now we got someone to do all the pulling up front, yeah!

Very flattering, Tom, but I don't think I'm ready to be the locomotive just yet! Give me two more weeks... Cristoph, where are you?

Deej

I don't think I'm ready to be the locomotive just yet! Cristoph, where are you?

Deej

Don't worry Deej, we'll take turns up front :heyhey: ! ...Yes, another mountain goat I almost forgot...Christoph:hammer:....where are you??

Let's see, so far we have: Deej, YellowGiant, Kenichi, Kotaro, Goro, Tom, Astroman (??)...looks like a pretty fast group and growing!!

OHSMK LOOP update

When: Tomorrow 7:30

Where: Sekidobashi (Tamagawa CR)

Type of ride: Long & Fast (5 hills)

Course: Sekidobashi on Tamagawa CR -> Asakawa CR -> Takao/Otarumi-toge -> Akiyama-onsen -> Hinazuru-toge -> Suzugane-toge -> Saruhashi (R20) -> Matsuhime-toge -> Okutama (or alternative: Kazahari-toge aka Tomin-no-mori) -> Ome/or Itsukaichi -> Ishikawa Brewery -> Tamagawa CR

関戸橋→大垂水→秋山温泉→雛鶴峠→鈴懸峠→猿橋→松姫峠→奥多摩湖 (または、風張峠)→青梅市(または五日市)→石川酒造(ビールを飲む):beer2:

Expected weather: mostly cloudy / 40%→60% :eek:uch: probability rain:rain: :(/ early autumn-like temperatures

Members: David (PE), Deej (TCC), YellowGiant (TCC), Sergey (TCC), Thomas (TCC), Kenichi (NFCC), Kotaro (NFCC), Goro (NFCC), Tom (PE, NFCC, TCC),

should you change your mind....

I'd never abstain from a brutally masochistic hillclimb, but Sergey and I will most likely embark on a two-day Fuji adventure this Sat and Sun. :)

Thomas, unfortunately weather forecast for this weekend is not so great...especially around Fujisan on Sunday...zaazaa...:rain:...

You and Sergey may want to join tomorrow's OHSMK LOOP ride instead...at least there will be less chance of zaazaaburi !!:angel:

Thomas, unfortunately weather forecast for this weekend is not so great...especially around Fujisan on Sunday...zaazaa...:rain:...

You and Sergey may want to join tomorrow's OHSMK LOOP ride instead...at least there will be less chance of zaazaaburi !!:angel:
The more souls, the more fun!

Well, in the light of this weekend's weather forecast it might be wise indeed to alter our plans. The Siberian ride (Omsk) looks challenging, so I might join however exhausted I am from Tohoku and a busy commuting week. :warau:

Just where the heck is Sekidobashi? :D

Just where the heck is Sekidobashi? :D

Sekidobashi is right where Y's International used to be before they moved a few km further up stream...It is also the spot of the famous bicycle flea market held twice a year (3rd Saturday of April & October).

関戸橋フリーマーケット(せきどばしフリーマーケット)は、自転車用品のフリーマーケットで、毎年4月と10月の第3土曜日に東京都府中市の関戸橋横で開催されている。開催当日が雨など荒天時は、第4土曜日に開催されることがある。

You must have passed it umpteenth times already Thomas ;)

Hope to see you ! (& Sergey?)

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%96%A2%E6%88%B8%E6%A9%8B%E3%83%95%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9E%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88

Hi, TOM!

I'll join you at Sekidobashi - if I figure out where it is (what route number? is it Setagaya doori?).
Will try to stay for the entire ride if my legs allow me to keep up with you.

Follow the Tamagawa Cycling Road to Sekidobashi 関戸橋 (Fuchu)

Hi, TOM!

I'll join you at Sekidobashi - if I figure out where it is (what route number? is it Setagaya doori?).
Will try to stay for the entire ride if my legs allow me to keep up with you.

Hi Sergey ! Great....another fast & strong one :cool: joining !

No, not Setagaya-doori at all :D. Koshu Kaido (R20) is nearby but you want to avoid all them traffic lights. Sekidobashi 関戸橋 is the bridge one has to cross if one wants to go to Seisekisakuragaoka - the Keio shopping mall of which you will see appear on your left side as you are riding up the Tamagawa and approaching Fuchu.

I recommend you get onto the Tamagawa CR first (like at Futakotamagawa) & ride upstream (stay on the main cycling path on the right side of the river facing the "source") direction Fuchu. We will be waiting in front of (above) the hairpin underpass going under Sekidobashi 関戸橋 where we are easy to spot.

(if you see the blue building of Y's International on your right that means you already went too far. In that case, turn back and you will see the newish-looking Yotsuya-bashi. Sekidobashi 関戸橋 would then be the next bridge downstream)

I'm pretty sure Thomas knows where the bridge is by now.

Please try to arrive a little early (say, around 7:20) like I will do because the troupe will leave at 7:30 precisely :eek: !

Thanks Philip for your thoughtfulness providing the map - very efficient ! (I'm not very good at those things)

Back
Top Bottom