What's new

Anyone else starting to think...

Phil

Maximum Pace
Sep 1, 2007
that spring might be here?

Had to go into town today to update the bank books for the taxman, and what would normally be tedious chore was transformed into a two hours of almost unadulterated pleasure thanks to a bike and some spectacular spring weather.

Sure hope it holds to the weekend...

Yeah, the plums are out, even here. Rode both sunday and yesterday. I've spent the winter in the gym on a stationary bike and it felt completely normal--no beginning-of-the-season blues at all.

snowing here as I write this, what spring? Actually the big thaw was on this last Sunday and Monday.

Yeah I rode yesterday too. Bout bloody time it started warming up IMO. So sick of this cold weather and can't wait to start shedding all this winter weight (both clothing and body padding). It has been raining so much lately it was great to see some sunshine yesterday, in Yabitsu and just loved it. This month they are doing some roadworks in different parts and the road is closed to through traffic. It was like my own road yesterday, how good is that?

Lived in Saskatchewan, Canada, for 18 years so I MOCK your pain.

(7 months of snow per year; it was -39c yesterday, hit -59c this past winter)

Davad,

That's like living in North Dakota. I'm from Eastern Montana and we get some days that were very cold, but nothing compared to the folks up North.

I will spend about a month socked up in a caste next week. I am having my ankle operated on, with the possibility of another surgery down the road. I am not looking forward to being cooped up in my house, hobbling around on crutches, especially with Spring and Summer fast approaching.

James

Lived in Saskatchewan, Canada, for 18 years so I MOCK your pain.

(7 months of snow per year; it was -39c yesterday, hit -59c this past winter)
well I mock you pain back cause you didn't used to live in warm climes so you knew no better AND you weren't reminded of the fact that others were enjoying riding while your roads were snowy white by folks on the internet. If you want to talk I about cold I'll tell you about the year I spent in Antartica. ......:cry:

I`d love to hear about it - but don`t get tooooo cocky: I worked in the oil industry in Northern Canada. Alfresco urination piled up like kaki-gori and when we spat, the loogy froze in midair. One day, we were standing around wondering why nothing was happening, and the foreman radioed to us: `go back to camp boys, all the hydraulic oil`s frozen and the machinery won`t run`.
It was -65c.
The trucks we were using ran for weeks straight - too cold to shut them down at night.

But back to the oncoming glorious spring here and now: did anyone notice the clouds today? Big torn-looking things. We never get those in `winter`; those are summer clouds! It`s coming! And I`ve got a new bike!!!

*pulls up britches by the belt loops*

Roight. When WE wus lads, it was SO cold...

(Actually, never mind. Tried to think of somewhere colder than Antartica and Northern Canada, and couldn't do it... :D)

Never ever ever start conversations with Canadians about cold weather or long car trips!! Especially if you are from the UK:eek:

My garden says spring has arrived!
Today`s free gardening tip:
Write the plant labels in waterproof pen. Then you can say my "#$%&&s" are in full bloom!

Never ever ever start conversations with Canadians about cold weather or long car trips!! Especially if you are from the UK:eek:

Just after I got my driver's license, when I was 17, my Dad and I drove from Toronto, about a third of the country from the east coast, to Vancouver on the west coast. It took us four days.

Man, we used to drive to the Rocky`s to skiing on the weekends......
It was 1000kms one way.

1. I can now feel my fingers when I finish my 2 hr morning run . . . so Winter is definitely making a graceful exit
  2. The Mont Bell catalog arrived this morning so Spring must be around the corner
  3. Whilst it will not be high in the machismo ranking compared to living at -60C (if that can be classified as living) when I was a kid my family were so poor we used to drive from London to Germany or France to ski and CAMP at the ski resort - on many occasions I had to dig myself out of the snow in the morning
Philip

When I was a lad.....

I remember the winter of '63. Easiest the hardest in modern times in England. The Thames froze !

Snow covered the ground for six weeks, but we still went to school and sat there in our overcoats and bobble hats.

Mate - you were posh ! The nearest I got to skiiing as a small kid was tobogganing in the park using a old metal millk crate that someone had pinched from the milkie's cart !

chazzer

Things don't change . . .

51G56CN83PL._SS500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom