What's new

Anyone else luv internal hubs?

RayB

Speeding Up
Mar 3, 2009
Myself, absolutely!

Just got my new shiny alfine 11 laced up topped off with some versa STI shifters. I can never seem to find any shops that stock parts, acc, etc for any of these things and its always a PITA to order stuff in. But worth it in the end I guess.

If anyone knows any decent shops in Tokyo that specialize, or at least stock things it would be great to know about.

Now what to do with my Alfine 8;), was thinking of throwing it into wifey's brompton, some frame manglement required, but I may just sell it.

Anyone here using a similar setup? Maybe a rohloff (slobber)?

My next step for this IGH setup is maybe going belt drive as I have always been interested in them.

I work at Y's and we should be able to order parts if we have none in stock. It usually takes us about 1 and a half weeks to get your items. My names is Daniel and I work at Y's Road Shinjuku (honkan, 本館)

I've got an Alfine 8 hub on my Mixer 8 that does my trailer towing duties around town for work. I really like it, except one thing, I keep stretching chains :rolleyes: 3 to 4 months, and I need a new chain :eek:uch: I should try converting it to a belt drive I guess..... :bike:

Indeed, I have a Rohloff on a custom Strong frame. I think they are rare beasts in Japan, and though inherently 'simple' it has a manual half an inch thick. 99% of the manual covers the different options, accessories, wheel building, cable routing, etc etc. I think there are about four pages on using and maintaining it! It just works .... :rolleyes:

I did an oil change a couple of months ago, and will soon fit fresh shifter cables. Apart from that, it works well - but is a heavy beast!

I stocked up on some spare parts and 'consumables' from SKS Cycles, as I think there would be zero chance of obtaining them here.

I've built custom wheels based on the Alfine and can do so for the Rohloff as well. I also have a couple of Gates CDS sets on hand since I made custom Ti frame specifically for IGH and belt drive. Y's has been great, BTW, in ordering various small parts for my Alfine projects. Compare the Alfine to the Rohloff and well, I can almost make a custom Ti frameset for the difference. Frankly, the 11 speed (and for me 8) Alfine is a very close match. And laced up to one of our 300gr 38mm carbon rims, weight is not such a big deal.

I've built custom wheels based on the Alfine and can do so for the Rohloff as well. I also have a couple of Gates CDS sets on hand since I made custom Ti frame specifically for IGH and belt drive. Y's has been great, BTW, in ordering various small parts for my Alfine projects. Compare the Alfine to the Rohloff and well, I can almost make a custom Ti frameset for the difference. Frankly, the 11 speed (and for me 8) Alfine is a very close match. And laced up to one of our 300gr 38mm carbon rims, weight is not such a big deal.

GSAstuto, which gates kits do you have? I have been looking at grabbing the new centertrack version. If you have/or can order in the bits and bobs I'd be interested in knowing the price. Do you work at a shop? Also, your building your own frames? Sorry for all the queries.

Indeed, I have a Rohloff on a custom Strong frame. I think they are rare beasts in Japan, and though inherently 'simple' it has a manual half an inch thick. 99% of the manual covers the different options, accessories, wheel building, cable routing, etc etc. I think there are about four pages on using and maintaining it! It just works .... :rolleyes:

I did an oil change a couple of months ago, and will soon fit fresh shifter cables. Apart from that, it works well - but is a heavy beast!

I stocked up on some spare parts and 'consumables' from SKS Cycles, as I think there would be zero chance of obtaining them here.

Nice, I looked at strong a while back as an option for a frame I want built up. Right now I am leaning towards Naked Bikes out of BC. I figure my next IGH will be a rohloff. I just have to wait for this current one to blow up one day. And of course tell the wife it only costs 10,000 yen.

Y's in Shinjuku (basement) has a couple 8 speed Alfine wheels (complete wheel) for about 15,000 yen! This is a killer deal if you are considering a IGH. I'd buy another one - but I want the 32H version - not the 24H version (which is unique to the complete Shimano Wheel). So - in other words, if you WANT the 24h version - you need to buy the whole wheel. And this is at least 50% discount.

@RayB - I only have a couple of the non-center drive. It took me about 6mo to finally get some samples and none of the Gates Warehouses seem to stock anything. Just filling a couple of bike's worth gathered parts from the 4 corners of the globe. While they tout the you-know-what out of this - it would actually be nice if OE builder and Dealers could actually get some! But, I do have, in stock, the Alfine rear cog, front ring and a few belts.

I would like to convert my Mixer to a belt drive, I keep on stretching chains with the heavy loads. I would need some low gearing, dunno if that can be easily sourced for the belt drive system...... OK I admit it, I know next to nothing about the belt drive systems :eek:

Nice, I am certainly tempted to convert now. I did purpose buy my current frame to eventually be able to handle it. This is my current commuter: http://civiacycles.com/bikes/bryant/

Oh crap, I forgot about having to split the rear triangle to get the belt in :eek:

Going to have to break out the MIG welder and fabricate something I guess..... :confused: Might put this conversion on the back burner for a while then..... :(

Oh crap, I forgot about having to split the rear triangle to get the belt in :eek:

Going to have to break out the MIG welder and fabricate something I guess..... :confused: Might put this conversion on the back burner for a while then..... :(

Ya u do need that. Seen a pic of a frame once where a guy put a single s and s couplar in the rear triangle of a normal frame for the sole purpose of going belt drive. Might be overkill though:eek:

There are also some paragon dropouts u could maybe have retrofitted into an existing frame if I remember correctly they had a removable bit for sliding the belt in.

I would like to convert my Mixer to a belt drive, I keep on stretching chains with the heavy loads. I would need some low gearing, dunno if that can be easily sourced for the belt drive system...... OK I admit it, I know next to nothing about the belt drive systems :eek:

Somewhere recently I saw a comment about loads on belt drives, where the poster said it's not a good idea to put a lot of torque on the pedals, such as when you stand on the pedals. If that is true then maybe your trailer bike is not the best candidate for belt drive.

On the other hand, Sarah Outen's touring bike (over 100 kg fully loaded) uses a belt drive, which appears to have survived over 18,000 km so far...

Back
Top Bottom