What's new

Anyone cycling today in this 37/38c weather

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
I'm going out for a cold beer. Its hot, real hot today.

Cycling to work as usual. It was 28ºC when I set off, and 32ºC when I arrived. I'd love for it to rain one day...

Tomorrow's plan is a hiking route up around Chichibu with my better half. Wouldn't mind if it was cloudy, but would prefer no rain.

Cycling to work as usual. It was 28ºC when I set off, and 32ºC when I arrived. I'd love for it to rain one day...

Here in Yamaguchi it rains/springles in the evening. Out riding a few minutes ago, get weather. Getting cooler now in the evenings. Perfect bbq/camping weather now.

For me, any excuse suffices to stop me from exercising, so I need to reinforce the idea that weather is irrelevant for cycling (except ice and snow). Since at least my teens, my preferred method of death has been sudden, in the middle of a ride. Wasn't really envisaging cycling until I reached old age, but that'll do, too, provided I'm not on a group ride and will spoil it for others.

I rode to Kawasaki yesterday, leaving around 13:50, around the hottest time of day. The thermometer on the GPS was showing 40-41 C. Though that was hotter than the forecast, sun-soaked tarmac is always hotter than the "official" temperature and the heat from engines and ACs of slow moving traffic didn't help.

I'll ride at any temperature, provided there's no ice or snow. The only way to get used to riding in the heat is to ride in the heat, but when it gets really hot you have to slow down. In the winter, stepping up the pace or a climb are a good way to get you warm again. But in the summer you have to do the opposite to avoid heat stroke. Works great so long as you are not paid to win a race :( There's a reason there are no randonneuring events in the Kanto area between the end of the rainy season and September.

I will also take breaks in the shade as needed. I ride with two water bottles year round and make sure to keep them topped up in the summer.

I don't like having to play Cassandra, but...

View attachment 18454

Yepp, my feeling exactly. I hope we're proven wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A professional bike race near Tokyo in late July / early August, especially on that course, is insane. Riding hard enough to have a chance to win without riding so hard that heat stroke will kill you is a tightrope walk. If athletes have any choice, they should not participate in next year's Olympic road race.

For me, any excuse suffices to stop me from exercising, so I need to reinforce the idea that weather is irrelevant for cycling (except ice and snow). Since at least my teens, my preferred method of death has been sudden, in the middle of a ride. Wasn't really envisaging cycling until I reached old age, but that'll do, too, provided I'm not on a group ride and will spoil it for others.

Hey kang
You got to be one of the coolest riders on the forum here. Remember to have some shaved ice with lime juice after a hard ride. Enjoy life. Old age, yes , it got me too. But what can I do, sit and watch TV, fk that shit.

I rode to Kawasaki yesterday, leaving around 13:50, around the hottest time of day. The thermometer on the GPS was showing 40-41 C. Though that was hotter than the forecast, sun-soaked tarmac is always hotter than the "official" temperature and the heat from engines and ACs of slow moving traffic didn't help.

I'll ride at any temperature, provided there's no ice or snow. The only way to get used to riding in the heat is to ride in the heat, but when it gets really hot you have to slow down. In the winter, stepping up the pace or a climb are a good way to get you warm again. But in the summer you have to do the opposite to avoid heat stroke. Works great so long as you are not paid to win a race :( There's a reason there are no randonneuring events in the Kanto area between the end of the rainy season and September.

I will also take breaks in the shade as needed. I ride with two water bottles year round and make sure to keep them topped up in the summer.

Yepp, my feeling exactly. I hope we're proven wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A professional bike race near Tokyo in late July / early August, especially on that course, is insane. Riding hard enough to have a chance to win without riding so hard that heat stroke will kill you is a tightrope walk. If athletes have any choice, they should not participate in next year's Olympic road race.

Sad to say, but when it comes to enjoying the fruits of life (talents) we go for the gusto in life. Road signs mean nothing to us.

Hey kang
You got to be one of the coolest riders on the forum here. Remember to have some shaved ice with lime juice after a hard ride. Enjoy life. Old age, yes , it got me too. But what can I do, sit and watch TV, fk that shit.
Good lord, I am definitely not cool!
But, I'm with you....I don't want to sit down and rot. Cycling is a god-given gift that I love, especially because it doesn't whine and moan and demand stuff from me like others things I like to ride.

Back
Top Bottom