What's new

Any tricks on how to remove a bolt from a cleat?

astroman

Speeding Up
Mar 19, 2007
A question for the experts.

I can't remove one of the bolts/screws on one of my SPD-SL cleats. It is rusty, probably due to salt water, and it stripped when I tried to remove it with an allen key. Any tips on how to remove it? As the cleat is plastic, I suppose I can try and cut it, or even melt the plastic around it. Hopefully with out damaging the shoes

It is only one bolt and I just want to replace the cleats and not buy a new pair of shoes as they are still good as new. I don't have an a electric drill, but it might be cheaper to buy one than to replace the shoes.

Any tips?

And the subject line should read "any", not ant. Ooops.

Cheers,

Keren

Hi Keren . . .

The bolt will be rusted into the thread in the shoe. You will need to soak the thread in WD40 (or other penetrating oil). After the WD40 has done its stuff, remove the other 2 bolts and then attempt to loosen the bolt by twisting the cleat anti clockwise. If this turns the bolt you may get enough purchase to finish the job with pliers - otherwise you will have to cut the cleat.

When you put new bolts in always use anti-seize on the threads.

Philip

A question for the experts.

I can't remove one of the bolts/screws on one of my SPD-SL cleats. It is rusty, probably due to salt water, and it stripped when I tried to remove it with an allen key. Any tips on how to remove it? As the cleat is plastic, I suppose I can try and cut it, or even melt the plastic around it. Hopefully with out damaging the shoes

It is only one bolt and I just want to replace the cleats and not buy a new pair of shoes as they are still good as new. I don't have an a electric drill, but it might be cheaper to buy one than to replace the shoes.

Any tips?

And the subject line should read "any", not ant. Ooops.

Cheers,

Keren

Thanks Philip! I will give this ago.

And I will be as careful with my cleats as I am with my pedals. Always keep the threads lubed!

Cheers,

Keren

Dremel anyone?

If soaking with lubricant does not work, I'd suggest the Dremel treatment before cutting the cleat. 2 options - 1 is to cut another slot to give a screwdriver another chance. don't go too deep though. 2) is to cut around the head of the screw (to leave the post). Cleat will pop off and you should have enough protrusion to use a vise grip.

LBS will have seen this before, and they will have a drill. You need to buy new cleats anyway.

Happy ending

Thanks for the tips guys. I managed to remove the bolt last night with no damage to the shoe. WD 40 and a hammer worked wonders. It was rusted solid. I did take the shoe to my LBS but even he couldn't remove it.

Cheers,

Keren

Thanks for the tips guys. I managed to remove the bolt last night with no damage to the shoe. WD 40 and a hammer worked wonders. It was rusted solid. I did take the shoe to my LBS but even he couldn't remove it.

Cheers,

Keren

WD40 and a hammer - aaahhhhh! - the joys of micro surgery :D

Back
Top Bottom