What's new

Any suggestions on best option to ship my bike overseas?

Anthony Joh

Cruising
Jul 21, 2014
Hi group,

I'm leaving Japan soon and I'd like to take my bike with me and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best option for me to ship it back to Canada?

I've searched online and seen prices from $250 to well over $2000! If anyone has some insight into shipping your bike I'd appreciate it.

Take it on the plane with you. Usually that is free.
Get a box from any of the big chain bike stores, also free.
Dismantle your bike and pack it with your clothes around your bike. Keep it under the airline weight allowance for a single bag.
Make sure you tell them in advance you are bringing it and give them the sizes so there are no drama at the check in counter.

Blob is correct.

Unless you have a sea container going with your household stuff, there is no real easy/cheap way to ship it back.

When you book your ticket you can order another check in suitcase option. About 50$ or so

Take it on the plane with you. Usually that is free.
Get a box from any of the big chain bike stores, also free.
Dismantle your bike and pack it with your clothes around your bike. Keep it under the airline weight allowance for a single bag.
Make sure you tell them in advance you are bringing it and give them the sizes so there are no drama at the check in counter.

I haven't even tried to take my bike with me since airlines charged me $200 bucks each way on intl. flight (10 years ago). From what most folks on biking forums say, the oversized luggage charges are still pretty standard and even costlier. Is your experience different? Is there a carrier you have had good luck with provided the bag/box is under their weight limits?

Inquiring minds....

Yeah, Sporting goods can be oversized and don't cost in my experience.

Agree with folks here that flying the bike back as luggage is the way to go... I like using the airport limousine to get to the airport (especially if the bike case does not have caster wheels). Minimal hassle and they handle the bike with care. On the airline charges for the bike, suggest doing an internet search on bike luggage charges for your airline. Most US carriers charge ~$150 for domestic flights and ~$200 for international flights... I've gotten away w/o paying extra charges on many international flights - especially with Japanese carriers - but I think lot of this depends on the agent checking you in (i.e, many agents in Japan will not "challenge you" if you are nice and tell them the box contains sporting equipment - and that's if they ask). Do be careful with weight and stay w/in weight limits. There are some horror stories out there with people loading in lots of gel/food/gear and get hammered with both oversize AND overweight baggage charges. Good luck.

It all depends on the airline. Some will charge you a lot to take a bike onboard, whereas others will allow it as a piece of sports equipment and you may get it on for free. Give the airline a call and ask how much it will be to take.

Oh yeah and CO2 canisters are also fine, but best to tell the airline they are coming in advance and save the hassle at the checkin counter.

Back
Top Bottom