What's new

Any iPhone user here?

laz

Warming-Up
Sep 2, 2009
Would anyone think about to mount the iphone on the bike? (handle bar) I saw some of the iphone bike mount on the rakuten, price start from 1300 to as much as 5000.

Will that be a good idea to do that? Of course I recognized if I crashed I will lose my bike AND my phone all together ....... :confused:

Will that be a good idea to do that? Of course I recognized if I crashed I will lose my bike AND my phone all together ....

I think you have already answered your own question. I would never mount the iPhone on any of my bikes, considering Softbank's repair costs and the fact that it's not water-proof.

iPhone mounting

I've been keeping my phone in my 'Bento Box' (actually Topeak) top tube pouch. It fits nicely and allows for a headphone connection with a little thought. But of course the screen isn't visible.

Had been vaguely thinking of adapting an old pouch with my trusty sewing machine. As usual, someone got there first...

Velotrac Pak

rs2.jpg

Looks pretty neat. However, unlike a handlebar mounting solution, you'd have to take your eyes right off the road to look at anything. My main concern is that my knees will brush against it; they already irritatingly brush against the Topeak pouch when it lists over slightly.

Also have a solar recharging gadget which I'm planning to try out sometime.

Of course there are now many GPS apps for the iPhone 3G and 3GS. Here's someone else's list of apps with cycling-related features. Nothing just yet to completely eclipse Garmin hardware IMHO, but it probably won't be long.

--Mike--

the bastards won't sell me one. Softbank sucks.

you want it??

I did not use my CAR to apply iPhone, as the salesman told me that will be difficult to success. Instead I used my student card (that I am studying Japanese now......) and national insurance card (that I applied before). Not only I can buy the iPhone, but also able to use the installment and student discount!

Or you may try to have a holiday to Hong Kong, where my hometown. There have fully unlocked iPhone officially available in the market, very easy to buy, and greatly covered by Apple international warranty. 32G is around ¥75000, and 16G is around ¥65000. :cool:

My main concern is that my knees will brush against it; they already irritatingly brush against the Topeak pouch when it lists over slightly.

I quite sure it will, I am a bento bag user before. As small as bento bag my knees still be able to touch the bag angle. Not hurting but no good at all.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use a Sony PSP? In addition to the nav function, you could play some great games in your down time.

http://gizmodo.com/220383/psp-gps-hardware-ships-software-to-follow

That will be very BIG. My thought is I have a Polar watch already so going to get a Garmin 705 will not be a good way to spend money at this moment, if I can make a good use of my iphone then as lease it can help me to cover up a bit part of the GPS need when I going for a trip.

iphone without provider in Japan?

Side question to a similar audience..(not a threadjack)
My wife and I are traveling to Japan next monday. We will be riding in tokyp and doing the Shikoku Pilgrames of 88 places. We have an Iphone with and americian service provider..we do not want to use the phone functions as worldwide roaming is cost prohibitive,my question is what free functionallity will the iphone provide use there in relation to internet portals..(of course we will have the music camera recorder)will wifi acess be possible or are the bands used there different?..any help appriciated ,as most of the info on the net is dated and discouraging so much so that sara thinks we should leave the phone at home..any guidence? thanks in advance..

I think in Tokyo you will often stumble upon free (or unprotected) wi-fi networks, but I doubt if you would find any in Shikoku.

As for the wifi bands .... I don't imagine they would be any different.

We have an iPhone with an Americian service provider..we do not want to use the phone functions as worldwide roaming is cost prohibitive
Suggest you bring it anyway. You may find you're able to use wi-fi at a few of the places you stay.

Too bad there's still no global co-operative effort to establish affordable roaming; wouldn't it be great if you could pay SoftBank here a month's line rental and turn your iPhone Japanese for a month. It's almost cheaper to use satellite!

-Mike-

Hello Erik,

I cycled the 88 temples golden week this year, all with the aid of an ipod touch and a Shikoku road atlas. Before I set off, I made png images of all the route and copied them to the ipod. Then, I didnt need wifi or network of any kind.

Finding temples is easy in Tokushima and Kagawa, there are so many signposts you will hardly look at a map. But for some reason Kochi ken is not so friendly to the henro.

Tip ... get a cable recharger (less than 1000yen) and recharge your iphone at any udon restaurant / onsen / temple lodging along the way. The solar chargers are not useful enough yet.

Tip 2.. Road atlas does not need batteries, and can be dropped from any height and will still work

Back
Top Bottom