What's new

Any help to ID my frame please?

PitstonePedler

Warming-Up
Dec 28, 2012
Hi, I bought my track bike bike complete for the princely sum of £20.00. Since then i have used the same bars and stem but changed the grouppo over to Miche Primato (C2004). The saddle is a 2005 Ltd swallow. I think it is European but I thought I woiuld post on here in case anyone spots it as from a Japanese builder.

At time of purchase, the bike was equipped with Campag record Hubs; Rear being a Route Super Champion Competition, high flange (with 1969 (UK) National Track Championship scrutineers sticker), the front a Fiamme Red Label, low flange.

I do not have any idea of the BB beyond it being a Campagnolo version marked with Dims only. I guess ITA thread? The cranks are/were by Williams. The stem is a 1" quill with Cinelli alloy bars.

I am really keen to ID the frame though. I am about to restore it and would like to know who the frame builder was/is. It has a hole for a break on the boss at the rear (could have been drilled any time), but otherwise dimensionally is a track bike; 11" floor to BB, steep angles etc.

Can anyone please help in ID'ing the frame or point me in the right direction from the photos below? There are no serial markings at all anywhere on the frame...

Thanks for reading

TrackBike001_zps71725ca0.jpg

[/img]
TrackBike004_zpse0878ca3.jpg

TrackBike005_zps790881b8.jpg

TrackBike006_zps1848f613.jpg

TrackBike007_zps6a3e5d11.jpg

TrackBike008_zps62f439ef.jpg

TrackBike009_zps19b4fcbc.jpg

TrackBike010_zps4138d65a.jpg

TrackBike014_zps45f195d8.jpg

TrackBike015_zpsce04460e.jpg

Leighton Buzzard???!?!

Pitstone Hill?!?!

I grew up in Boxmoor, and used to ride there all the time!

What a small world :D

have you looked at the underside of the bottom bracket - most of the stamping is done there - might give you place to start from.

Leighton Buzzard???!?!

Pitstone Hill?!?!

I grew up in Boxmoor, and used to ride there all the time!

What a small world :D

Hi Owen, small world indeed. I grew up in Chaulden between 1966 and 1982! I now live at the bottom of Pitstone Hill where the old cement factory used to be!

Yep! Or on the rear dropouts.

But I can say these are very generic Columbus lugs (and probably tubeset as well). My Guerciotti has the exact same lugs. And judging from the angles, I'd say this is a pretty standard club frame produced out of Central Italy or perhaps any number of builders in the UK (judging from the fork crown). It looks to be silver brazed - which lends me to think more from the Continent than the Isle. Been resprayed - probably a few times. Non-Campy, stamped, dropouts - so it 's a 'club' bike. I would say it's built between 1990 - 1995.

BTW - if this was anyway close to a keirin rig it would have 'NJS' stamped all over the place and you wouldn't find one in that vintage being much over a 520 - 530mm.

If the BB is ITA , then it's a dead give-away for a Conti Track trainer. The tubeset will probably be straight gauge Columbus.

have you looked at the underside of the bottom bracket - most of the stamping is done there - might give you place to start from.

Yep! Or on the rear dropouts.

But I can say these are very generic Columbus lugs (and probably tubeset as well). My Guerciotti has the exact same lugs. And judging from the angles, I'd say this is a pretty standard club frame produced out of Central Italy or perhaps any number of builders in the UK (judging from the fork crown). It looks to be silver brazed - which lends me to think more from the Continent than the Isle. Been resprayed - probably a few times. Non-Campy, stamped, dropouts - so it 's a 'club' bike. I would say it's built between 1990 - 1995.

BTW - if this was anyway close to a keirin rig it would have 'NJS' stamped all over the place and you wouldn't find one in that vintage being much over a 520 - 530mm.

If the BB is ITA , then it's a dead give-away for a Conti Track trainer. The tubeset will probably be straight gauge Columbus.

This is great feedback, thanks. I am certain its an English BB. Others have said that as the seat post is 26.2, it must be 531 or Vitus888 ...The guy I bought it from is a mate and he bought it (or his dad did) in the mid to late 80's when he was riding as a Junior in his late teens. He too thinks its Italian but cannot remember which builder (incredibly frustrating). It was bought in Portsmouth. Its my plan to restore it and it would be good to know what im shooting for! many thanks for your help, when I strip the frame/forks Ill look for serial numbers etc. Again thanks, if anything else comes to mind, Im all ears, cheers :bike:

At last, I think some kind of break through, according to my mates dad! The bike is either Geoffrey Butler or Gazelle, looking through old Gazelle catalogues, the frame could easily be a 1984 Gazelle Champion Mondial Baan (Dutch = track of course).

I cant find any pictures to post and do not know how to post .pdfs. if though anyone is interested, follow this link, then brochures, then 1984, bottom of page 13 http://jvs.webklik.nl/page/gazelle ;-)

Back
Top Bottom