What's new

Any bicycle jobs in Japan?

J____

Warming-Up
Nov 12, 2021
Hi Cyclist,

Already checked LinkedIn, job agent site...etc, but still not much bicycle job in Tokyo Japan.
like bicycle and Japan, but it's really hard to get a job related bicycle in Japan..
any advice or agent website I should try? Thanks.

Do you mean in a bike shop, or using a bike for delivery work?

Either way, how's your spoken and written Japanese?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reply this post.

In a bike shop.
There's any EU brand office in Tokyo?
I tried contact BMC, Scott, Factory..etc
But seems like they have no office in Japan..(Scott is distributor..)

Japanese N1 and living here already few years with working visa. (But but bicycle industry)

I know that Canyon has a small office in Kyoto:

I don't think they are actively hiring, but you can reach out to them and show your interest.

Also, Mike (is he in TCC?) is the distributor in Japan for the Chapter 2 frames. He and his wife run a small cafe and showroom in Odawara. Like Canyon, I don't think they are hiring, but maybe he can give you more insights.

Assuming you don't land your dream job straight away, you could get your foot in the industry door, so to speak, by working somewhere like Y's Road (I know they some employ foreigners), then work on building your contact network and see where it leads you.

Last edited:
But seems like they have no office in Japan
Specialized have an office in Japan - in Atsugi. I suppose they do any recruitment through an agency, but I wouldn't know which one.

Bianchi are quite big here.

There are new 'boutique' e-bike stores popping up all over the place - brands I've never heard of.

Mike (is he in TCC?) is the distributor in Japan for the Chapter 2 frames
Mikey Rice - not on TCC AFAIK, but he's on Facebook and various other channels.

Hi kiwisimin,

Hardware service engineer, but not in bicycle industry. can replace some bicycle parts(e.g BB) but not really work in bicycle shop before…

—-
Hi OnefortheRoad,

Yes, I tried contacted Canyon last year, unfortunately they replied no open any job…Also contacted Chapter2 Mike last year, he's kind, and there's no job opportunities too..
still appreciate your advice. ^^

——
Hi Jonmanjiro,

Thank you for that advice.
But y's road seems like hiring part time staff only…? If I want to keep the working visa and get PR in the future, the part time salary will be a problem..
still thank you for give the advice.

Hi Mike,
Thank you.
Yes, I contacted some specialized person in LinkedIn, also only get feedback there's no job open now.
Bianchi has office in Japan? Or it's distributors?
"boutique" is a e-bike brand? Will google it, thank you for that info. :)

Hi Jonmanjiro,

Thank you for that advice.
But y's road seems like hiring part time staff only…? If I want to keep the working visa and get PR in the future, the part time salary will be a problem..
still thank you for give the advice.

正社員 would be fulltime. You've got N1, yeah?

From the previous page I linked, navigating to 社員採用→店頭スターフ 詳細はこちら→中途採用正社員募集→フォームはこちら gets you to the link below, where you can submit an inquiry. Worth a shot.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Thank you for reply this post.

In a bike shop.
There's any EU brand office in Tokyo?
I tried contact BMC, Scott, Factory..etc
But seems like they have no office in Japan..(Scott is distributor..)

Japanese N1 and living here already few years with working visa. (But but bicycle industry)
BMC has a distributor in Japan, and I have met one of their reps and know of another (the Youtuber Two Wheel Cruise). I have also met the rep for Chapter 2. All of them were/are bike racers. The Chapter 2 rep made second place (seemingly with ease) the day I met him. But there are really few jobs for non-Japanese, I think.

Not quite clear on your background or goals, but from my side I would focus job search efforts on brands with subsidiary offices in Japan. Those are: Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Canyon, Rapha, Wahoo. The latter of those (canyon) just being small service or marketing offices versus fully functional offices. There might be a few more, but basically the rest of the brands are sold via Japanese distributors which usually are not the most fulfilling places to work. With subsidiary offices you will have direct connections to the HQ, and typically better work conditions as well as opportunities to advance.

You mentioned you are OK to work retail/at a shop, if its sales focus then both Specialized and Trek have directly owned shops and that is a good way to get your foot in the door. Just be prepared as the pay scale for entry level bike industry work is quite low, and hours can be long. If its sales floor work, you will not need a strong mechanic background.

All of the above companies do/have hired foreigners, it is just the industry itself is not that big. If its entry level work, thats usually "below" the level where recruiters would work, so its best for you to approach companies directly. Email/contact direct, or go to events with the hope you meet something from X company you are interested in.

(speaking from ~15 years Japan bike industry experience)

Hi all,

Thank you for those friendly advice.
will keep it in my mind and keep try.

P.S Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Canyon, Rapha, Wahoo all tried contacted HR or LinkedIn user, unfortunately all not open now. :(

I am not familiar with the cycling business in Japan but know shops here require some of the staff to get the bike mechanic certificate. I guess some do get it while working and gaining experience but it is clearly an advantage to have it to get a job offer.
I have heard (I am not sure about it) that for insurance issues, it is not legal to assemble and sell a bike without that license/certificate.
Good luck !

J, you need to keep at it and network as much as possible. Unless you have a specific skill (IT, finance, accounting, SEO) this wont be an overnight task.
As mentioned, events or in person is in my experience much better than linkedin or "cold" emailing.
Why not walk into the Trek Roppongi (not sure where you are located) shop this week and ask them? I say Roppongi as its the location with the highest demand for English speaking staff.

Ideally on a weekday when they aren't busy.

Hi elzico2012,

Thank you, yes, I think I need to get the license first, thank you for the advice, will search the license detail. (hug)

—-

Hi TrekDJ,

Yes, I tried mail to Trek HR last year too.
Roppongi Trek very close my place. (Shibuya area) and pass by this shop many time, but there's no hiring post, so I never walk in for ask, I'm no sure walk in for ask job in Japan is okay? (Usually they post hiring post?)

—-
Hi microcord,

Thank you, yes, I contacted Giant(because my first bike is giant and I super love it)
And Merida, all no job. (But Taiwan Giant hr replied they open job in Taiwan)
I lived Taiwan before, also tried DARE, HASA, DT Swiss, RIDEA, DIZO, Trigon, but unfortunately no one has office in Japan.

Thank you all give me warm and friendly advice, will keep to found out bicycle job opportunities.
Happy ride~! ^^

Back
Top Bottom