Any advice on family friendly route?

Jun 6, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am a noobie here and I don't know whether this is the right place to ask this question.

We are two families with 4 adults and 3 children (6-8 years old) from Hong Kong. We will be visiting Tokyo in late July. We are planning to have a 3-5 hour bicycle trip in or around Tokyo probably on 30/7 to 2/8. We would like some advice from you guys.

1) Since we have children (though they are all comfortable with 2 wheels), we want to have bike routes that are separated from cars as much as possble.

2) My wife isn't physically strong, we prefer to have lanes that are flatters, as little slope as possible.

3) Since the summer is really hot in Tokyo, we want to have a cooler place. For example, more shades from trees, routes that are on higher altitude, places with more breezes, etc.

4) If it is possible, less crowded.

We will be staying in Shinjuku. We don't mind taking a 90-min train ride to get there.

Sorry for all the constraints and some may even be contradicting too. Just wondering if the above are possible at all.

Thanks a lot and I am looking forward to coming to Tokyo.

Wallace Wong
Hong Kong

Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
The roads by the Imperial Palace are closed to vehicle traffic on Sunday. I heard they have rental bicycles available, including tandems. Very flat, no shade. Would make a fun half hour riding around.

Another option is the Kokuei Showa Memorial Park out in Tachikawa. They rent bicycles ranging from small kid sizes to full size adults. Tandems are also available. If you are going on a weekend, you'll want to show up early as its first come first serve and quite popular. Some slopes, somewhat shaded, food and vending machines throughout. It would be an all day thing with play areas for the kids. Probably your best bet.

Other options include riding along the major rivers such as Tamagawa but it might be too much for the kids and wife. You will have to source your own bicycles.

There are electric assist bicycles for rental in tourist areas like Kamakura. Unfortunately I don't think they have kid sizes and have to contend with cars.

FYI: my kids have been cycling in traffic when they were very young. I made sure they understood what to look for and I corked intersections when they went through. It's busy but not that dangerous with a bit of attention and caution.