What's new

Another man gone down. (crash report)

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Last Wednesday, 24th, was heading out for an early ride. Known course, but on a section I had not ridden recently. Inadvertently hit a deep groove, and went down to the right, about 5:50 a.m., maybe 25kmh.

Memories:
--looking down and seeing my front tire in this groove.
--hearing the weird road sound that made.
--going down to the right.
--hitting the road and sliding some, hands still on bars.
--moaning in pain... (now disconnected from the bike)

All that happened in a flash, except the last part, which went on for a while.

The total odd thing (I realized later): Apart from some minor scratches on my right hip, zero blood. No road rash, nothing needing stitches or disinfecting. Since I held onto the bars (flat, T-bar with bar ends), my hands are fine. As are wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, and ankles. And head--could not find scratches on helmet at all, but for this one, I am really glad I had it on.

Man in a van just in front heard this and got out and called an ambulance and directed traffic. Then the ambulance, questions, and on to a small hospital for x-rays and CT.

The list: (all on my right side)
--collar bone broken in two places.
--six ribs, maybe seven (back side).
--pelvis snapped on the right side, from the top middle down to ball joint of my femur.

Given that, no blood seems odd.

Surgery done late on 26th(five hours), one long Ti plate on collarbone, two shorter on pelvis. Doc says it went 'perfect' and to my eye looks that way on the x-rays. Some blood in my right lung at first, not much, other organs okay. So at least, no punctures on this short ride.

Rehab started, just range of motion and minor resistance. All in my bed, which I've been in since Friday eve, and maybe thru the weekend, too. Goal next week is to be able to get in/out bed and in/out of a wheelchair, following week some walker practice. I'm hopeful.

Lots of x-ray/CT pics but am unable to post them now. Looked via google images for something similar but could not find. In some, my ribs look pretty jumbled--so pain over the coming weeks.

Two months off work via 診断書.

I had some fall touring plans due to a cushy schedule, probably no more...

Very unfortunate. I hope the meds provide you with comfort. Get well soon.

All the best for a speedy recovery. Are you stuck in bed or able to move around?

That is not good at all. I hope you recover quickly and completely.

Really sorry to read this. Glad you are ok. It's sometimes amazing how the simple falls can do the most damage. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery.

Wow. Sorry to hear this jdd. Even the most innocent sounding crashes can have a massive impact. Stay positive. Everything will fix. Always remember "It could have been worse". I hope you are up and about soon.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom