What's new

Another man gone down. (crash report)

Riding (like driving) might already be okay, but it's the clips and getting a foot down that scare me. I always unclip and put my right foot down, and that's now the bad side. The trainer will be a way to play with that before going out for real.

I am not a doctor, a rehabilitation whatever, a coach, a fast or good cyclist, anything. Actually I don't know jack monosyllable. And I realize that I have a minority view of clips and cliplesses (surely the most bizarre terminology). But for the zero that my opinion is worth, I'd humbly suggest that you consider bog-standard pedals. ("Platforms"?)

Whatever the equipment choices: A cautious start, a long warm-up, and happy pedalling for you!

Uh, Houston, we have a problem...

Something I hadn't considered, but which should have been obvious from the get go.

And this is embarrassing...

P1000659_zpsmfbn6kr6.jpg

I can't get on the bike.

Trying to get on the normal way, I can't get my right (bad) leg over the seat, or even sneak it over in front of the seat. And from the other side, I'd have to put all my weight on my bad/right leg while twisting around to get my left over. ( = pain)

Maybe a stool or chair? Or block & tackle?

:(

Or one of those gym seated trainers. They may be good because they don't exert the same pressure on your hips like a standard seat with all your body weight on it.

Here i found one.. LolZZZ!

http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l325553552

Trying to get on the normal way, I can't get my right (bad) leg over the seat, or even sneak it over in front of the seat. And from the other side, I'd have to put all my weight on my bad/right leg while twisting around to get my left over. ( = pain)

Maybe a stool or chair? Or block & tackle?

:(

Last edited:
John, sounds like your body is telling you it's too soon. 無理しないで。What were you wanting to achieve by stationary bike riding? I understand boredom and the frustration it presents but that's just a mentality. Do the rehab they have assigned you to do and just accept the fact you had a really bad accident. There's no race to get healthy, just chill, do lots of upper body calisphenics if able to, and all the best for a slow steady and complete recovery.

... What were you wanting to achieve by stationary bike riding?

First goal, I'd like to spin a little, very little resistance, just to make sure that the pedaling movement and that range of motion in my hip, along with being on a bike saddle, is okay and doesn't cause any hurt (during or after). If that's okay, then maybe 15-20 min several times a week. I think that would kind of confirm that I would be able to be a cyclist again--which would be a nice psycho-boost.

Second, I might not be expressing this right, but I think you have to show the damaged/weakened/healing parts what they're expected to do. My rehab girl has a protractor and measures throughout, and I most always gain range of motion over the 50-60 minutes of a session. I'd hope that pedaling would "show" my hip what it needs to be able to do.

My doc here, the rehab girl, and another person have cleared me for stationary cycling. This other guy is a retired bone doc who has done similar surgery, and is also a cyclist. He said:
From the hip/pelvis studies you posted it was a severe acetabular fracture and I think they did a good job reconstructing it. With that type of impact the bearing surface of the joint is usually severely damaged beyond the ability to repair itself and severe arthritis usually results. People vary enormously in the way they tolerate the joint damage and some can go quite a while, others not so long before the hip needs to be replaced because of pain and loss of function. They appear to have done a good job of preserving bone stock for a future replacement so I think you are good there.

One of the most important things in the prognosis long term is maintenance of range of motion and strength as much as possible as well as weight control. I think stationary cycling and water walking/swimming are ideal. Cycling especially puts the hip through a range of motion and kind of molds the joint surfaces and promotes movement of joint fluid which is how whatever healthy cartilage remains gets it's nourishment.

I would say try to stay close your normal seat height if possible and adjust as needed by what your body tells you. Stay in easier gears spinning and use it as a way to smooth out range of motion and getting your heart rate up rather than actual strength at first. If all is going well you can start doing some gentle intervals with bigger gears later on for strength.

It is often more than a year before things start to plateau and like i said there is enormous variability in how folks rehab from these serious injuries. Being thin and fit and having that mindset before the trauma usually correlates with a better outcome after and a longer period before additional treatment such as a hip replacement is needed. From your photos it looks like you fit into that category.

So hip replacement may eventually be needed..., after some severe arthritis... Yuk!

Obviously I don't want to botch it (and I'm not a pain = gain person), and would back off or stop if something didn't feel right. But the way the doc puts it there, I should be doing something.

-----------------------

@macrophotofly I did once have this thing, was fortunate to get rid of it for about half what I paid:

recumbent1a.jpg

Vision VR 60, iirc

Just go with what they say! Obviously none of us here are with you and know what stage of recovery you are at.

I think it is fair to say that we are all cheering for your recovery, and looking forward to ride reports in the near future.

Its awesome that you've recovered this much already (and able to walk your lovely daughter down the aisle). I've had a couple of surgeons tell me that they've seen recovery for cyclists and other endurance athletes be 1/2 the time of typical people. They think its a combo of base fitness, mental resiliency/toughness, willing to work thru pain, and general can do attitude. Best of luck on speedy recovery.... GANGATTE-KUDASAI..

My doc here, the rehab girl, and another person have cleared me for stationary cycling. This other guy is a retired bone doc who has done similar surgery, and is also a cyclist. He said:
Great, get a step through mixte type bike and ride that. The thought of a step ladder or such is scary and I'd send you my own block and tackle but I'm a bit tied up at the moment.

@jdd good on you mate

I reckon it is as much about getting back to normal and showing to yourself that you are on the mend and getting mobile as it is pure training/rehab.

If I was there I would lift you on to the bike myself and hold up cardboard cut outs of dawdling old people for you to scream at and threaten as you spun the pedals.

Keep at it!

Agree with above re step through. If that doesn't fit on the trainer you could take the chain off. No resistance but would allow you to put your legs through the motion.

I was looking for a used bookcase and the local seconghand shop a few of these for sale really cheap, under 20,000円。healthbox_ez101.jpg
very stable, step through and you can switch in your own saddle and bars. Once you get spinning again flick it on or donate it to your local サイクリング部活部。Keep us updated eh?

I was looking for a used bookcase and the local seconghand shop a few of these for sale really cheap, under 20,000円。View attachment 12658
very stable, step through and you can switch in your own saddle and bars. Once you get spinning again flick it on or donate it to your local サイクリング部活部。Keep us updated eh?

I saw something almost the same in Sports Depo the other day. ¥16,000 or so plus tax.

I tried it and peddled a little and discovered that the seat won't go high enough (given that particular brand/model, and not sure if there'd be a workaround for the seat height or if another brand would be better), but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Cheap enough, too, and very quiet.

Thanks everyone for your interest/attention on this!

Back
Top Bottom