What's new

Animals

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
What are the strangest animals you've come across on your rides?

Last year at night these two strange looking mammals ran in front of me.
It was a little dark but I have absolutely no idea what they were. They were almost under my front wheel.
They were about the size of a medium dog. They looked to have no fur at all, but probably very short fur. Heads a bit like a pig and possibly hoofed feet.
It was near shimizukoen park and there is some kind of farm for kids there..they may have escaped.
They may have been these. [Collared Peccary] What ever they were they appeared very shy and didn't want to be anywhere near me.

collared-peccary-pecari-tajacu-pekari-2.jpg

Well, today I was riding a bit further away down the Tone river when another weird looking mammal jumped out of the tall grass and almost knocked me over. It was similar to the thing above... yet it had a smaller head and bushy grey fur with a long tail. The head looked a little like a terrier but it was not a dog. No idea at all what it was. I've never seen anything like it. Last year I saw a fox at the same spot. This was not a fox either...
:abduct:

Inoshishi are badass! Came face to face with one half way up Matsuhime.

Me too

smaller head and bushy grey fur with a long tail. The head looked a little like a terrier but it was not a dog

Very odd, just today at Jogashima Island, I saw for the very first time this dog like creature you speak of. I thought it looked like some cross between a dog/fox/cat. Very neat looking.

On Azami in the typhoon I saw several deer and a few 2 legged sasquatch thingies with sticks in both hands traversing the road at rapid pace! It was only with quick reaction that I avoided collision with both species. Seems they follow some predefined trail in the woods which crosses the roadway at regular intervals.

This is it! Thanks for the ID.

I see tanuki all the time...but usually the brown ones.
It probably was a tanuki what I saw but the head was more dog like than the one on your pic... May have been a very old one I suppose.
After looking at a lot of tanuki pics, I'm now pretty sure it was a tanuki...
I guess I'm not used to seeing them up close and unsquashed.

me and the misses rescued this little blighter from being squished on the kawagoe loop. He was chilling in the middle of the road have a barrel of laughs till we came along and stuck him in rice field
View attachment 822

See lots of animals around these parts:

rabbits, foxes, weasels, squirells, snakes, monkeys, even the odd bear...

the tanuki racoons are perhaps the most dangerous, often out on the road at dusk

early mornings kamoshika deer jump out of the bushes and can scare the crap out of you

a few years ago I hit a deer in the car near Nikko, the car was a write off... the deer ran off!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Can I vote for mama-chariot riders?

Here it`s just the growing number of snakes (another 2 this afternoon, but one was squidged in the middle of the road) that I`m not used to.

My most scary sight here was not an animal, but a man with a rifle over his shoulder walking down the bend of the hill as I was reaching the top! Yikes!

Once at the end of a very long hard day of touring on the West coast of Vancouver Island, it was windy and raining and we we were soaked to the bone, trying to get another 20Km or so in so we could stay in a warm snug cabin, and we saw one of these.........

1%20Jackalope%20Seated%20PC%201.jpg

...... well let me tell you, the sight of the killer Jackalope made us all dig deep and get that last 20Km behind us, no way were we sleeping in flimsy tent with these guys on the loose :eek:

.... or maybe we were just cold and tired.... :rolleyes:

Holy hand gernade of Antioch

In saving weight, one should never fail to pack the holy hand grenade...

Once at the end of a very long hard day of touring on the West coast of Vancouver Island, it was windy and raining and we we were soaked to the bone, trying to get another 20Km or so in so we could stay in a warm snug cabin, and we saw one of these.........

1%20Jackalope%20Seated%20PC%201.jpg

...... well let me tell you, the sight of the killer Jackalope made us all dig deep and get that last 20Km behind us, no way were we sleeping in flimsy tent with these guys on the loose :eek:

.... or maybe we were just cold and tired.... :rolleyes:

Bear.

Nuff said. I now pack a bear-bell and will ring any bear i see.

See lots of animals around these parts:

rabbits, foxes, weasels, squirells, snakes, monkeys, even the odd bear...

Saw my first monkey today. Crossed the road in front of me. I was floored; wasn`t expecting that. Now it`s just the bear to go...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom