What's new

Ride An occasional ride to Yabitsu>Hadano

Just a bit of ice on the rindo going down, no more than 50 meters worth. Otherwise, clear. The rindo, however, had lots of debris so had to descend pretty slowly.

Tokyo Living was out there, too. Different route. I'm guessing no ice either.

Last edited:
Just a bit of ice on the rindo going down, no more than 50 meters worth. Otherwise, clear. The rindo, however, had lots of debris so had to descend pretty slowly.
I think you did a different route than me. The route up Wada I did had no debris or ice at all. The whole road was clean up and down.

I saw your route on Strava. You stayed on 521. I did the rindo. Good choice on your part. The rindo was messy, especially on the downhill portion. Lots of rocks.

I saw your route on Strava. You stayed on 521. I did the rindo. Good choice on your part. The rindo was messy, especially on the downhill portion. Lots of rocks.
Yeah that is the route we usually do, Takao and 521. 1100 meters climbing for the day.

Garmin site says that my ride had 1,900 meters of elevation gain. Hard to imagine that the rindo route added an extra 800 meters of climbing. Is Garmin's elevation info accurate?

Garmin site says that my ride had 1,900 meters of elevation gain. Hard to imagine that the rindo route added an extra 800 meters of climbing. Is Garmin's elevation info accurate?
Definitely not 1,900 meters elevation gain. Ride With GPS had it as 1,300 meter total ride and the Wada at 759. Strava had me at total elevation of 1,195 meters. Wada same 759, which this info is pulled directly from my Garmin 820.

Upon further inspection of your Strava results, it does look like you did three climbs that day. I only did two. So for sure we did different routes.

Last edited:
So, this is happening tomorrow. Up near Yabitsu. Exploring this route for first time so not sure what the road up in the hills will be like. Plan to roll thru Sobudai-mae tomorrow (Sunday) about 9:50 a.m. Anyone interested, let me know. Otherwise, enjoy the nice and relatively windless day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Start time too late for me.

A suggestion - any way you can post your rides using RidewGPS rather than Garmin? A lot of people use that instead. If not, no big deal.

Enjoy the ride!

So... explored new route today. Found some roads I didn't like and some I did. Getting to the rindo was mostly about getting through the urban sprawl. But the rindo was really nice on the way up. No one out there but a few hunters and hikers. Good road. No cars. Took a detour at the top to check out a shrine, but getting to the shrine involved a hiking trail so never actually saw it. The way down the mountain was not quite as nice. Lots of camping areas, hikers, cars, joggers. Kinda busy, even for February. I imagine in summer it will be a pretty crowded road. All in all, a good day. Always nice to explore new routes.

https://www.strava.com/activities/879886259

Last edited:
Yabitsu again today. Trying to improve my climbing ability from 'rock' to 'snail'. :cry:

Great weather today. Roads in the mountains were dry. Not too hot, not too cold. Nice! Doesn't get much better than today, weather wise.

Last edited:
Happening tomorrow, June 3. Late notice, but if interested, let me know via PM. Be at Sobudai-mae station and ready to roll at 7:00 am.

The route goes past Zama, then along the Sagami river to Isehara, then up 246 to convenience store on 70, north of Hadano. Then up to Yabitsu toge on 70. After that, I plan to reverse course back down to the Sagami and then, depending on time and mood, either do the river route down to Chigasaki, then over to Fujisawa and up the cycling road.. or just head back toward Sobudai-mae the way I came. Bail point is Hadano pre or post Yabitsu toge. Altogether, looking at about 100km with 1,000m climbing.

I'll check messages before I leave the house tomorrow (6:00 am) so if interested, PM me before then.

This ride is happening tomorrow (June 24). It will pass by Tsurukawa on the Odakyu line so if interested you can join me there. Start time 6:00 am at the station. I'll be headed to Aikawa first then up the Doshi to Tsuru, back down and over to Miyagase then up Yabitsu (north side). After that, it's down to Hadano. I'm not sure if I'll bag it at Hadano (150km) or do the entire loop (212km). Depends on time, legs and mood. If you are interested, bring a rinko and the usual stuff for biking in the mountains. Fiigure about 3,000 meters of climbing.

If interested, PM me and let me know before 8:00 pm tonight. If no one contacts me, then have a good day and enjoy one of the few non-rainy days this month.

Summer close out fondo.

Little wind, not much sun, no rain.... perfect!

Ride details: Tomorrow, Sunday, 16 September. Starts at 6:00 Onda Station (meet on the foot path that runs along the Kodomo no kuni line), or 7:00 at Sobudai-mae station (meet on the north side of the tracks next to the kouban). It is a long ride so if you want to go, please be on time and ready to roll at the designated place and time.

Pace is moderate... not a race but not pokey either. Expect to stop infrequently. Only one moderate climb near the beginning... (staying out of the mountains since I figure they're kinda sloppy after the rains). Otherwise, mostly flat. Follows cycling paths along the rivers.

If you want to bail at some point along the route, no problem. We'll be going by Machida about the halfway point so that is a good bail point, or you can bail anywhere along the Tama that suits you. The route will avoid really heavy traffic mostly, but the Tama cycling path will likely have lots of pedestrians so expect a slower pace on that section. There are a couple sections that are hard packed gravel that might be a bit muddy for a bit, but they aren't very long sections... about 1 km or so.

If interested, reply by 8:00 pm tonight so we can coordinate. Otherwise, have a nice ride tomorrow. It should be a great day for it.

Did the fondo yesterday. Rode with a strong rider for the 1st half. Always good to have someone to push you a bit and to chat. Based on how things went yesterday, I tweaked the route a bit. If anyone wants to do a close in fondo with a wee bit of climbing, this route is pretty good. There is a spot on the lower Sagami path with gravel for a km or two. Weekend pedestrian traffic on the Tama means a slower pace there, especially on the lower section past Futako Tamagawa.

It was a great day for a ride. I posted it kinda late. Maybe next time.

So... route 70 from Miyagase to Yabitsu is still out. Anyone have any idea when the road will be repaired?

Also, was wondering exactly where the washout is. Specifically, if your riding from Miyagase could you still get to the part in the yellow box?

Route 70.jpg

Last edited:
route 70 from Miyagase to Yabitsu is still out. Anyone have any idea when the road will be repaired
I don't think anyone has any idea. There's nothing left to build on, so repair would mean taking out a major slice of mountainside or building a bridge.

Technically, it would be possible to make it available to just bikes and pedestrians. But you know how likely that is.

Some friends went and climbed the barriers anyway, on a weekday recently. The barriers were quite tall and it was a struggle to get through/round.

43725964_1226053760867400_6131810893081608192_o.jpg
43950884_700370900318813_8188620853680799744_o.jpg

Access via the Karasawa-rindō is still possible. Those gates are much less formidable.

Here's Kanagawa-ken's map of the closed section. Your plan is probably best approached from the south, which means going up and over one way or another.

SafariScreenSnapz001.png

Thanks for that. That's really too bad. It was my favorite route.

Looks like up and over, down and back if I'm gonna get those pesky tiles. I'll have to pack a lunch.

Back
Top Bottom