What's new

Ride An occasional ride to Yabitsu>Hadano

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
This is a ride I do when the mood hits. I start near Kodomo no Kuni (southwest of Machida), but best place to meet would probably be at Sobudai-mae Station (Odakyu line).

The route goes past Zama, via lightly trafficked roads. After Zama there is a nice bit of countryside before getting on Rt 64 and climbing to Miyagase. At Miyagase, I take Rt 70 for the climb to Yabitsu toge then down to Hadano. At Hadano I either rinko back home or head down Rt 62 for Chigasaki, over to Fujisawa, then up the cycling road to where I started.

Distance from start point to Hadano is about 70km. Add another 60km if you do the full loop.

It is a very nice route, selected for relatively low traffic and good scenery. Doing the full 130km loop gives you countryside, mountain, forest, ocean and riverside biking.

If it helps... mostly, I'm about getting out there, enjoying the ride and staying fit. My riding style is to ride at a moderate pace, not pokey but no hammer fests...not a competition. I'm not a great climber but I get there. I like to keep breaks to a minimum... usually stopping at the last conbini before Miyagase, then at the top of Yabitsu and perhaps at the Mosburger in Hadano.

So, next time I do the ride, if anyone is interested, let me know.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13443892

Last edited:
I do the ride on an irregular basis. If my schedule permits and weather looks good, I'll post something a couple days in advance so anyone who wants to join me can. Usually Saturday or Sunday and I'm on the road by 9-ish.

I do the ride on an irregular basis. If my schedule permits and weather looks good, I'll post something a couple days in advance so anyone who wants to join me can. Usually Saturday or Sunday and I'm on the road by 9-ish.
Great! Looking forward to it.

If the weather holds, looks like I'll be doing this ride on Sunday. Warm-ish, not much wind. Should be nice. I'll probably be starting around 9:00, putting me at Sobudai-mae station about 40 minutes later. If you are interested and are ready to roll at 9:40 at Sobudai-mae, you're welcome to join me.

If the weather holds, looks like I'll be doing this ride on Sunday. Warm-ish, not much wind. Should be nice. I'll probably be starting around 9:00, putting me at Sobudai-mae station about 40 minutes later. If you are interested and are ready to roll at 9:40 at Sobudai-mae, you're welcome to join me.
Wish I could join you Sunday but duty calls. I coach my son's soccer team and we have an away game which means an early morning start. Another time...

Nice ride today. A bit chilly at the top of Yabitsu, though. Got hung up by a marathon being run... all traffic stopped for 10 minutes or so. Other than that, a nice day.

Hadn't planned a ride for tomorrow but the temps are supposed to be almost balmy, so thinking it's time for a ride up to Okutama. Can't let temps like that go to waste.

Nice ride today. A bit chilly at the top of Yabitsu, though. Got hung up by a marathon being run... all traffic stopped for 10 minutes or so. Other than that, a nice day.

Hadn't planned a ride for tomorrow but the temps are supposed to be almost balmy, so thinking it's time for a ride up to Okutama. Can't let temps like that go to waste.
Hey

When are you planning on leaving? I'd like to join you.

Got a son-in-law in Odawara. Is Yabistsu best (more easily) approached from the Tokyo side, and descended into Hadano, or is it better going the other way?

Got a son-in-law in Odawara. Is Yabistsu best (more easily) approached from the Tokyo side, and descended into Hadano, or is it better going the other way?

Coming at Yabitsu from the north gives a more gradual climb. Climbing from Hadano, it is a steeper climb so a bit tougher. Which is better probably depends on you and what your goal is. Since I suck at climbing, the more gradual climb suits me for now (plus, I can rinko back from Hadano). But folks who really want to push themselves do the Hadano>Yabitsu climb and repeat it 'x' number of times. I'm in awe.

Reactions: jdd
Today's ride. Down the cycling road to Fujisawa. Along the coast then up to Hadano. Quick stop at the MosBurger there for a spicy hot dog & onion rings. Up to Yabitsu in the sunshine. Beautiful! Going down the other side was pretty darn chilly given my clothes were soaked with sweat and did a great job of conducting the cold. Brrr! Finally, after Miyagase, things got a bit warmer. 130km total. New bike was great!

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 22
Today's ride. Down the cycling road to Fujisawa. Along the coast then up to Hadano. Quick stop at the MosBurger there for a spicy hot dog & onion rings. Up to Yabitsu in the sunshine. Beautiful! Going down the other side was pretty darn chilly given my clothes were soaked with sweat and did a great job of conducting the cold. Brrr! Finally, after Miyagase, things got a bit warmer. 130km total. New bike was great!
Looks like a nice ride. But where are pics of the new bike in action?

The new bike is camera shy. Prefers studio shoots.

Did Wada for the first time today. The Cube did well for me. Good day to ride. Not so many of those this week.

Attachments

• IMG_2135 (1).jpg
    IMG_2135 (1).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 32
Now you're talking - bike selfies. Nice :tup (but never in the little ring mate?!) :D Did you climb Wada from the steep side (3-something km) or from the long side (7ish km? i7 I'm not mistaken)

Now you're talking - bike selfies. Nice :tup (but never in the little ring mate?!) :D Did you climb Wada from the steep side (3-something km) or from the long side (7ish km? i7 I'm not mistaken)

Did it clockwise. So, it must have been the 'easy' way. First time I've done the route. Realized on the way down that the counterclockwise route must be a lot more challenging. Maybe next time. Challenging enough as it was for this old man.

Back
Top Bottom