What's new

Tech Am I asking for trouble?

Cory M.

Maximum Pace
Dec 18, 2012
On a descent yesterday, I hit something hard with my front wheel and got a flat. I saw that it put about a 20-30mm crack in the tire, but I put in a new tube, and it seems fine. Am I crazy to ride it like that?

On a descent yesterday, I hit something hard with my front wheel and got a flat. I saw that it put about a 20-30mm crack in the tire, but I put in a new tube, and it seems fine. Am I crazy to ride it like that?
In the tyre or in the rim?

Either way, I'd replace it.

Any pics?

Thanks @leicaman . Tire not rim. Took you're advice and threw a different tire on. Need to figure out how to get out of this serious flat juju I've got going on.

Thanks @leicaman .Need to figure out how to get out of this serious flat juju I've got going on.
Juju it is and you need to scare your bike straight and tough. Show it what happens to bikes that keep getting flats, urinate on the ground close to the bike and swap both the front and rear wheels rubber around. Should be good to go. oh scary bike picture Badbike.jpg

@Cory M.

Yeah replace any slashed tyre, no matter how new it is. Just wince and take the pain of lobbing away a tyre with loads of tread on it. We've all been there.

Then, check your bike. If you banged something hard on the front end, the energy will have travelled up through the bike from the point of impact, and through your body.

So, do all this...

1. Dial the front brake in really close to the rim and spin the wheel. See if it is out of true.
2. Go round the rim on both sides very carefully and check for dents / warped areas of the metal.
3. Squeeze the spokes in pairs, on each side and see if any of them feel oddly loose. MIND YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU DO THIS, as the spokes are carbon (assuming you were using the Mavs you got from me) and may have razor sharp edges.
4. Stand over the bike, as you would when you ride it (don't reverse cowgirl it), sit your taint down on the top tube up near the stem, Froome style, squeeze the front brake hard, put your other hand round the headset at the top of the top tube, and slowly pelvic thrust back and forward. Really concentrate and feel for any play in the headset.
5. Closely inspect the forks at the dropouts, and the legs for any cracks, weird paint bending / distortion, changes in colour, or any bumps of depressions in the material surface.
6. If there is play in the headset from step 4., take the forks out and inspect the steerer tube, inside the headtube, and the headset cups, etc., for cracks, dents, areas of abrasion, etc.
7. Check where the headtube joins the down tube, under the frame, for dents, or distortion. Check for paint distortion too, like in step 5.
8. Check your bars where the stem clamps them, like in step 5.

If any of these steps bring up anything of note, post here and we can address the particular issue.

I punctured after missing a pothole bunny hop and only a few days later saw the damage to the rim. It was repairable but wont take another impact as well. Check thoroughly.

@Cory M.

Yeah replace any slashed tyre, no matter how new it is. Just wince and take the pain of lobbing away a tyre with loads of tread on it. We've all been there.

Then, check your bike. If you banged something hard on the front end, the energy will have travelled up through the bike from the point of impact, and through your body.

So, do all this...

1. Dial the front brake in really close to the rim and spin the wheel. See if it is out of true.
2. Go round the rim on both sides very carefully and check for dents / warped areas of the metal.
3. Squeeze the spokes in pairs, on each side and see if any of them feel oddly loose. MIND YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU DO THIS, as the spokes are carbon (assuming you were using the Mavs you got from me) and may have razor sharp edges.
4. Stand over the bike, as you would when you ride it (don't reverse cowgirl it), sit your taint down on the top tube up near the stem, Froome style, squeeze the front brake hard, put your other hand round the headset at the top of the top tube, and slowly pelvic thrust back and forward. Really concentrate and feel for any play in the headset.
5. Closely inspect the forks at the dropouts, and the legs for any cracks, weird paint bending / distortion, changes in colour, or any bumps of depressions in the material surface.
6. If there is play in the headset from step 4., take the forks out and inspect the steerer tube, inside the headtube, and the headset cups, etc., for cracks, dents, areas of abrasion, etc.
7. Check where the headtube joins the down tube, under the frame, for dents, or distortion. Check for paint distortion too, like in step 5.
8. Check your bars where the stem clamps them, like in step 5.

If any of these steps bring up anything of note, post here and we can address the particular issue.
Thanks for that comprehensive list, I will definitely be following each one, and hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom