What's new

Aluminum vs CF vs Titanium

True believer in ti

I was run over by a Audi Allroad (Audi's larger 4wd station wagon) doing 35-45 mph (about 65 kmh) while I was stopped at a red light. My ti lightspeed frame came out nearly unscathed with just a ding/bend in the chainstay. The Allroad was totalled (he also hit the side of another vehicle in the accident). I know that the litespeed had a big part in saving my life...

These things are plush when needed, light, firm, and bombproof. I now own 3 ti bikes.... I know its a bit overkill, but I believe in ti that much now.

I was run over by a Audi Allroad (Audi's larger 4wd station wagon) doing 35-45 mph (about 65 kmh) while I was stopped at a red light. My ti lightspeed frame came out nearly unscathed with just a ding/bend in the chainstay. The Allroad was totalled (he also hit the side of another vehicle in the accident). I know that the litespeed had a big part in saving my life...

These things are plush when needed, light, firm, and bombproof. I now own 3 ti bikes.... I know its a bit overkill, but I believe in ti that much now.

Ti will be my next bike...I need a stiff, light frame. I love my Orbea Onix full CF but it's brutal on really long rides. I really want steel but don't want the extra weight.

How could a frame save your life? Where did the energy from the collision go if it wasn't in the frame material? You were just incredibly lucky. Good for you but there is no way the frame saved your life unless you were inside it. wait, no It's not April 1.

Ti will be my next bike...I need a stiff, light frame. I love my Orbea Onix full CF but it's brutal on really long rides. I really want steel but don't want the extra weight.

Before you fork out heaps of cash on a bling bike read this
HTML:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html
basically blows most material myths to peices. Read down to the comfort factor.

Awesome Post!

Thanks Kiwisimon!
That was a great post.
My first road-bike was a steel 60cm frame, that broke from metal fatigue right across the seat tube, just above the front derailleur. I still have the frame, and the old Campagnolo "Vento" wheels that came with it, and I'm thinking about getting the frame welded, and having it set up as a single (fixed) gear bike for use around town. Even with the break in the tube, I still rode it for two weeks before noticing - so it's definitely still ride-able - the only thing I thought was strange was a slight banging noise every time I went over a bump. But it was such a comfortable ride!
My new bike, the aluminium "Giant", is great too - apart from weighing 3kg less - it feels very stiff.
Another thing about "stiffness" is the drive-train. When my steel frame broke, I just had everything, as is, changed over to the Giant frame - I was using (well-worn, and very smooth) Tiagra. After that though, I got a great deal on Dura-Ace, so I took it. The main difference I noticed was, although the gear shifts were tighter, there was (and still is) s bit of noise in the chain & gears - more tweaking needed - BUT, the whole bike felt stiffer! It felt SOLID!
Like I'm pushing the pedals into a rock, rather than into a marshmallow!

BTW, the Aomori ride is almost decided, if you're still interested!
I'll be setting out from Utsunomiya, to save myself a day (I've already ridden there 3 times).
The route will be:
Utsunomiya - Kouriyama.
Kouriyama - Sendai.
Sendai - Mizusawa.
Mizusawa - Hatchimantai.
Hatchimantai - Hirosaki.
From Hirosaki though, I want to go straight through Aomori up to the ferry from Omasaki to Hakodate. Then hopefully make the last plane back to Tokyo from Hakodate airport.
Let me know if you're still up for the ride from at least Sendai.
Rubber Down! Travis

Thanks Kiwisimon!
TBTW, the Aomori ride is almost decided, if you're still interested!
I'll be setting out from Utsunomiya, to save myself a day (I've already ridden there 3 times).
The route will be:
Utsunomiya - Kouriyama.
Kouriyama - Sendai.
Sendai - Mizusawa.
Mizusawa - Hatchimantai.
Hatchimantai - Hirosaki.
From Hirosaki though, I want to go straight through Aomori up to the ferry from Omasaki to Hakodate. Then hopefully make the last plane back to Tokyo from Hakodate airport.
Let me know if you're still up for the ride from at least Sendai.
Rubber Down! Travis

the last day will be pretty epic. the road to Oma is pretty up down and the ferry times might not get you to Hakodate in time. when were you thinking of going?

Back
Top Bottom