What's new

Almost interested in getting a trainer now...

Hmmm, interesting when the snow falls I guess… I can never imagine it replacing getting out for a ride though.

Silly to ever think a trainer would replace going out in the real world... hence I don't own a trainer.
The video game aspect of it peaked my interest though. Just think of all the ways you could cheat! ;-)

Put a scooter on your trainer? Ha ha ha!

Silly to ever think a trainer would replace going out in the real world... hence I don't own a trainer.
The video game aspect of it peaked my interest though. Just think of all the ways you could cheat! ;-)

Despite the Zwift staff's gaming and software heritage, and the very video-game-like graphics, Grand Theft Bicycle this is not. There are no guns, no running down of pedestrians or zombies to blow up. There aren't any cars, either, or flats, or crashes.

But is there Mario Cipollini?

Like everyone says, a trainer will never replace going out in the real world.

I train on rollers every night during the winter but leave them gathering dust between April and December.

If you are motivated enough to get on the rollers, a decent cycling video on youtube should be enough. I watched all the Paris~Roubaix and Flanders races from the early 70s onwards last winter...

Today I did a quick intensive workout using this:

It was motivating enough to put in a ride like this:

http://www.strava.com/activities/202594523/laps#_=_

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I think that a trainer is an extremely effective tool in your training tool-box. In fact, I couldn't think of being without mine. I travel a lot, sometimes cannot get out the house for a ride and so I'm indoors a lot - especially in hotels. It dilutes my Strava volume but who cares. My trainer time is very, very focused around either pure tempo or all out intervals from Tabata to VO2max to threshold. And where else can you do 2 or 3 x 20 threshold intervals out in Tokyo unless you're on a big climb? You can't get to those during the week if you work normal hours. So this is my go-to when in a time and location crunch. You get used to the trainer and I find things to do on it from watching movies or training videos to learning Kanji on my iPhone. So I can often get two things done at the same time. Also, a trainer is the most effective pre-race warm up and post-race cool down option you have.

I also maintain that you can easily race and be competitive in CX, Criteriums and shortish Road Races purely working on the trainer with appropriate intensity. You'll be surprised at the results.

Come down to Arakawa in the mornings you can do endless LT runs if you want. No stopping required. And the winter northerlies have kicked in making the training a little tougher. I bought an indoor trainer last year and used it some over winter, I think it takes a certain kind of masochist to actually enjoy using it for anything other than recovery runs. I can see the value in it however if you can embrace the pain. Personally mine hasn't been used since the big snows last winter, as I find it easier and more rewarding to get up at 5:30 and bang out 50km before breakfast. Watch the sunrise, eat a few bugs, dodge a few zombies walking their dogs and battle it out with the groms who have taken up loitering around the course looking for a fast wheel to try their luck against...

Fuji popped out of the clouds this morning, all covered in snow, I guess we really are sliding into winter.

I can't wait for the air temp to drop a bit more so I can happily put in some more hours on mine. The Edogawa is no place for intervals (unless I go 40km up into no man's land).

I honestly couldn't think of anything more boring than using an indoor trainer. People who enjoy them need to get their heads tested. Of course, they have their uses if you race but if you are just a recreational rider then I just don't get it. They must be on a par with running machines for boredom.

Didn't seem to stop you the other day.

I can't wait for the air temp to drop a bit more so I can happily put in some more hours on mine. The Edogawa is no place for intervals (unless I go 40km up into no man's land).

Mad for it!

Getting ready to pick my training plan already. I may double up for a while; river in the morning and trainer in the evening.

When I'm out on the road I can let myself slack off but there is a mental block that makes me suffer unnecessarily on the turbo. Call it insanity if you will but I think it like trying to beat my best time up Shiaishi every night of the week (I have a crap best time up Shiraishi, for the record).

Do you ever sprint all out on a running machine? Are there race simulations on a running machine? If there were it may be like a running machine but it's all about what floats your boat and making those gains. Reps for Jesus!

Local reasons for a trainer. I know, I know, why not CX? ...but this is not even the worst of it.
(out my office window, rightwards)
rightwards.jpg

(and leftwards)
leftwards.jpg

And a fresh xmas morning breeze:
201012250900-00.png

Add lack of daylight hours.

Better weather is one reason the capitol is now where it is.

Last edited:
When theres 2 feet of snow outside its better than sitting on one's arse and watching tv... Usually do an hour with ipod in my ears and forget about the outside.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom