What's new

All-rounder tyre recs?

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Been using Panaracer Race-Ds as my general-purpose tyres of choice, but one locked rear brake last week thanks to a lovely taxi driver suddenly pulling over got me down to the threads, so I'm in the market for something new, or perhaps just going for the same old same old.

I may just plump for the same again - I never got a pu**ture in my entire time of riding them, even over some frankly stupid terrain at times. Regardless, they were still nippy enough to unleash a bit of speed when needed.

Now, I've never tried the much-lauded Contis (4000s/Gatorskin) so far, so they're tempting - any other recs for the same price range? Mainly looking for punc resistance and some longevity.

Back to listening to the new Polvo album. Cheers, medears!

I have been using the conti 4000s for quite a while now but I've picked up a number of pinch flats with them. The side walls do seem to be a little on the flimsy side too. They do give me a lot of confidence when descending which is almost worth the extra puncture proneness of the tyre.
When a spoke snapped on me last month, my rear wheel had a huge buckle which led to the tyre rubbing on the frame at one point on the tyre. This created a hole in the sidewall in the 10km I had to ride home.
I swapped it out at the time for a Michelin lithion2 which is almost the same weight but seems stronger. No punctures yet on it. Can I feel the difference between the two tyres? No, apart from going downhill when I feel the conti gives a little more grip, but that might just be a psychology thing.
My lbs has Michelins for ¥4000 a pair. Pretty good value id say.

I just put on some Conti 4 Seasons. Seems to be in between Gatorskin durability and performance of the 4000S. Only done a couple of rides on them, so time will tell.... Certainly ride much nicer than my OEM Vittoria Zaffiro's.

I've used both Conti 4 Seasons and GP4000ses and have never had a flat with either. The 4 Seasons have stronger sidewalls, while the GP4000ses are a bit "stickier" when cornering.

The 4 Seasons might be a better choice if you're likely to encounter debris or dodgy roads, but if you're looking for confidence when cornering I'd go for the GP4000ses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I guess I have tried and used every single brand and type of clincher on the market and my advice is go back and stick to your Panaracers (Race-D) - simply the best IMHO;) . They come in 3 versions these days. If you are a bit more into competitive cycling the Race-D Light (blue logo) is excellent too!

Another option from Panaracer is their new(?) Tourer Brevet tires. http://www.cyclowired.jp/?q=node/109641
I've been using them in a 26mm for the last few weeks and like them a lot. To me they feel plush and cushy like a much wider tire, but don't feel like I'm sacrificing any speed on smooth tarmac. I've abused them on gravel roads and poorly maintained rindos everyday on my way to work and haven't had any problems yet.

Many thanks you wonderful coves.

Picked up a pair of Panaracer Race "A" Evo2 tyres today. Was going to stick with the same old same old, but then variety being the spice of life and all that, I decided to go for something a bit racier. Will be interesting to see if they feel much different what with the higher tpi count and the different sidewall construction than the "D" counterparts.

When I rode clinchers I always found the Vittoria CX's to be about the best in terms of overall grip, suppleness, wear and speed. I used the Gators mainly because in fixed gear riding you tend to skid alot, and they held up the best. That plus resistance to pinch flatting. The few times I've ridden on road clinchers this year I tried the Schwalbe (too compliant and pinch flatted several times), Conti 4000's , not bad, but seemed 'hard' and slow cornering. The Rapha Asia Conti folks all ride Gators and it's served them quite well, especially when the road conditions are oftentimes 'shot rock', strewn with metal bits and generally unimproved compared to Japanese standards. Still, anytime you add puncture protection belts and stiffen the sidewalls the tire will start to feel sluggish and hard due the increases in energy loss in the structure and lack of compliance of the sidewall.

Vittoria pave 24s on the front, Gatorskin hardshells on the back. Second season with this combi.

Wouldn't race on it, but good for fast descending, long rides and the occasional rindo/offroad section.

@Gunnar - are you using the 25/24 combo? Agreed the Vittoria Paves are good grippers and better on the front than the hardshells!

24front, 23rear. The new paves only come in 25 and 27. I have a set of 25 pave tubbies aging.

Back
Top Bottom